Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1929 Olds Coupe power train options

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2023, 08:29 PM

1929 Olds Coupe power train options

I知 starting on 29 Olds 2dr coupe project. The chassis is done, ( it came that way ). Currently working on replacing all the wood for the body. After that I知 not sure what do for a motor and tranny. I like the idea of an original motor, and tranny, but not sure I want the hassle of finding one in good condition, then trying to keep it running. Are wear parts available for these old Oldsmobile 6 cylinder motors. Like starters, water pumps, generators, points, clutch, throw out bearing etc. The other option is a 50s chev 235 and 4 speed. Very similar motor. And parts are still available.
Old January 25th, 2023, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sparky77
I知 starting on 29 Olds 2dr coupe project. The chassis is done, ( it came that way ). Currently working on replacing all the wood for the body. After that I知 not sure what do for a motor and tranny. I like the idea of an original motor, and tranny, but not sure I want the hassle of finding one in good condition, then trying to keep it running. Are wear parts available for these old Oldsmobile 6 cylinder motors. Like starters, water pumps, generators, points, clutch, throw out bearing etc. The other option is a 50s chev 235 and 4 speed. Very similar motor. And parts are still available.
Personally I would early Olds motor that car. Oldsmobile's early V-8's were so strong. Legendary motors. I am sure some other's here know more than me. You could keep that car Oldsmobile powered and get comment's and be very happy with it. That would be such an awesome fit for that car. Hell you could paint the motor early colors and one in one thousand would get it.
Old January 25th, 2023, 05:26 AM

I'm sure it's a cool project. Show us pics when you can.
Old January 25th, 2023, 06:21 AM

Lots to consider, if you are not keeping it stock (or close to it) Frame strength? Brakes adequate for a more modern, and powerful engine? Steering and suspension, if you are going to drive it a lot, with modern power. Keeping it close to stock, lessens the domino effect of upgrading the driveline.
Old January 25th, 2023, 05:11 PM

It will be a Sunday driver. With the stock wood wheels , steering, diff, and mechanical brakes. If I find a complete original 6 cyl I値l go that way, but only if it痴 turn key. I also need to find out if I can parts for it down the road. If not, I still want an in-line 6. The original 197 ci
motor made about 60hp. A 235 is about 140 hp. A have a couple, they need rebuilt, but parts are easy to come by. Even a 216 would work, but I have the 235s. Sheet metal stays as it is, most of the wood will be replaced. The chassis is done (it came that way )

Old January 25th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

The Hollander says that all 28 thru 30 "F" series engines will interchange'
That will widen your search.
Finding parts is difficult, but not impossible. Google is your friend.
Hemmings Motor News is always a good source of parts.
OCA and AACA are both helpful organizations and you should belong to both.
Snoop around street rodding forums and see if anyone is hacking an original Olds into a streetrod.
They may have a running motor.
I certainly wouldn't cobble it up with a Chevy motor.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 25th, 2023 at 08:41 PM.