Lower Ball Joint Removal

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Lower Ball Joint Removal

I got 73 toronado, need to change out the lower ball joints. I was looking at it today. How is the lower ball joint attached?
How do you remove stock lower ball joint?
I already have the hub off since it needed a cv axle and a wheel bearing.

I looked at pictures of ones that are listed on sites for sale and they all show that they are held in by nut and bolts.
Thanks
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Not really familiar with 73 Toro but my 71 442 has upper ball joints factory riveted and the lowers are pressed in. The replacement uppers are nut and bolted to take the place of the rivets.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:28 AM
BobsW32

You can take the Control arm out and to a machine shop and have them pressed in/out or you can use a tool from Advance auto and do it on the car.
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM

I don't want to take the lower control arm off and go to a machine shop again. Last time went to a machine they had to send the hub out to get the wheel bearing pressed in.
I don't want to deal with the torsion bar. It has two rivets one on each side. Ground rivets off but it still wont budge.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

If it's the same as '71 the lower ball joints are riveted, two through the sides and one on the top. The CSM says to remove the steering knuckle then hacksaw the rivets off, grind the top rivet head off. You then take a 7/32 drill bit and drill the side rivets 3/16" deep then using a hammer and punch drive out the top rivet until the joint comes out. The replacement will have nuts and bolts. You really need to pick up a 1973 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual if you're going to be doing stuff like that.

Last edited by Bluevista; June 10th, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
If it's the same as '71 the lower ball joints are riveted, two through the sides and one on the top. The CSM says to remove the steering knuckle then hacksaw the rivets off, grind the top rivet head off. You then take a 7/32 drill bit and drill the side rivets 3/16" deep then using a hammer and punch drive out the top rivet until the joint comes out. The replacement will have nuts and bolts. You really need to pick up a 1973 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual if you're going to be doing stuff like that.
The steering knuckle is off, I had to replace the cv axle and wheel bearing.
Ok, I figured out they where riveted thru the sides, I could not tell it was riveted thru the top also. There alot of dirt and grime to get thru. I have never owned older gm cars. I have owned all older dodge cars.
Thanks for help.
I plan to get a manual for it soon. I trying to get car on road and hope to be able to drive it back across country in week or two.
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM

Well thank you bluevista after cleaning 37 years of dirt and grimme, I finally saw the rivet on top. Finally got it out took alot longer than I thought it was gonna take. Felt good to finally drive her. She been sitting in driveway for month and a half.