Power Steering Return Line Leaking

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Power Steering Return Line Leaking

About a year ago, I had a shop replace my power steering box with a quick ratio unit from OPGI. It started to leak at the return line not too long ago, and it seems to be getting worse. The fitting seems plenty tight, although it also looks a bit boogered up and rounded.

I can feel that the fitting is dry below the rubber line, and it definitely looks and feels wet where the line and the nut intersect. It then is leaking down to the threads. (SEE PHOTO)

Replacement fittings from OPGI and Fusick do not show any kind of gasket or fitting other than the metal line and nut themselves, but O'Reilly's has replacement fittings with various o-rings and conical gasket-like pieces. Is there anything beyond the line itself that is required? I did check the service manual and could not find any reference to anything other than the fitting itself.

Old September 15th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

It depends on whether your replacement box is the early style with inverted flare fittings or the late style with o-ring fittings. Inverted flare fittings are metal-to-metal seals.
Old September 15th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It depends on whether your replacement box is the early style with inverted flare fittings or the late style with o-ring fittings. Inverted flare fittings are metal-to-metal seals.
Thanks, Joe. I tried calling OPGI earlier today to find out, but they never called me back. It should have been the inverted flare at least based upon the image, but I guess I’ll have to just remove the line and see for myself.