Energy Suspension Bushings

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Energy Suspension Bushings

I'm upgradeing the front end on the delta, everything. the question is

when useing the energy suspention bushing kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en...a-88/year/1984

i dont need to remove the schells correct? just gut the old rubber out, clean them up and slide in the new ones. do the new new bushings fit in the schells pretty snug? and do they squeek, ride nice???

i was also looking at the prothane bushings
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...a-88/year/1984

these look like they have some ribs in them for lube or something???
do these also slide into the schells or do they need to be pressed in?

I dont want to have to press in new schells. thanks jason

Last edited by Lars; April 9th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lars
i dont need to remove the schells correct? just gut the old rubber out, clean them up and slide in the new ones.

I was also looking at the prothane bushingsdo these also slide into the schells or do they need to be pressed in?
Sorry, INcorrect.

These are complete units that have to completely replace your old units.
The cushioning material is not bonded to the metal as the rubber bushings are, "but" (or maybe I should say, "therefore...") you still have to replace the whole thing.

I dont want to have to press in new schells.
Then, as I say, I've got bad news for you.

It's not that bad a job, and you'll be happy when it's done.

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM

i could of swarn i read (on the internet) that when replaceing old rubbers with poly bushings you could just gut the rubber out and slide in the new poly bushings...

everything on the internet is true

bummer
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It might be possible, but you'd have to burn the rubber out, hope that the heat hadn't damaged the shells, and then hope that the inside dimensions of the shells was the same as the new bushings.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM

ok since i have to replace the schells, its now a choice of prothane bushings or moog rubbers.

i just want a tight front end, tell me your experiences and guide me twards moog rubbers or prothane.. the cost is about the same.

which bushings would you put in the delta????????? i cant make up my mind...

thanks for the input..... jason

Last edited by Lars; April 12th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

i just want a tight front end, tell me your experiences and guide me twards moog rubbers or prothane..
I would use the polyurethane - I have them in my Delta, and they make it much more "connected," but not really any rougher - just less doughy.

- Eric
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:44 AM

^^^^Agreed. While you are there it would be prudent to replace your upper and lower ball joints and the rest of your front end parts. It will be expensive but well worth it. I did this on my 71 Cutlass and loved the improvement in ride. If you go this route don't buy the "package" with the bushings and the front end parts all together. Buy the bushings and then buy Moog parts separately. The package will use an unknown (cheaper grade) suspension parts. You will appreciate the greatly improved handling.
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM

Nice 85 bro! I have one myself.

I have been thinking about replacing my sway bar end links with a set of energy suspension 9-8117G for a easy weekend mod, will eventually replace my tie rod ends with MOOG and upgraded boots from energy suspension.
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM

thanks guys.. I am still up in the air about the prothane/rubbers. just caus i run on 2 miles of dirt road everyday. There no ability to grease them, and i'm concerned about squeakin after ahwile. BUT if you guys asure me they won't squeek if properly lubed at the time of install i'll go prothane...

my list now.
MOOG Part # ES2004S
FrontB $8.65$17.30Steering : Tie Rod End MOOG Part # ES2020RLT Problem Solver
Front Inner; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfacesB $13.82$27.64MOOG Part # ES2019RLT Problem Solver
Front Outer; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfacesB $14.23$28.46Suspension : Ball Joint MOOG Part # K5208 Problem Solver
Front Upper; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfacesB $18.14$36.28MOOG Part # K6145T Problem Solver
Front Lower; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfacesB $18.91$37.82Suspension : Control Arm Bushing MOOG Part # K6198 Package Quantity As Shown In Image Incl. front and rear bushings
Front Upper; Standard Design; Incl. front and rear bushingsB $10.66$21.32MOOG Part # K6109 Package Quantity As Shown In Image Incl. front and rear bushings
Front Lower; Incl. front and rear bushingsB $13.94$27.88Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Link MOOG Part # K6630 Problem Solver
Front; Heavy Duty DesignB $7.00$14.00MOOG Part # ES2004S