Winter project - heads, cam and converter

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Winter project - heads, cam and converter

Getting ready to do a little winter porject. I recently brought a set of #5 heads ported with 2.02 intakes to replace my almost stock #5's. Also upgrading my cam from an Ebrock performer rpm to a custom grind i bought from member cutlassefi's (very knowledage and real great to do business with). Specs .050 are

Intake center line 106
Duration intake 224 and exhaust 223
Lift intake 504 and exhaust 510

Hoping to wake up the 355 at lower end of power band.

Am also taking the opportunity to upgrade my converter from a B&M torkmaster to a coan 2600 -2800 converter. These guys were really a pleasure to work with.

My question is if their converters are as advertised and if inshould expect better performance from the converter. BTW they had the converter on sale and got it for 299.00

If anyone is interested in some 5 heads with a full rebuild with ss valves, comp springs, etc; an Ebrock performer rpm cam; or a torkmaster converter for a TH350 please let me know. All parts have 300 miles on them.

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Nice im almost doing the same here as you . Only diffrence im not installing a new cam. Im adding a new converter, bigger carb, curving the distributor, trying to get a 12.9 in 1/4 . Im also doing some engine bay detailing since i pulled the engine out. Im also building a 425 .030 piston 350 got a good deal on parts pistons cam and short block for 350 so far it's been a busy winter. Good luck with the project.
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by rkk69olds
Am also taking the opportunity to upgrade my converter from a B&M torkmaster to a coan 2600 -2800 converter. These guys were really a pleasure to work with.

My question is if their converters are as advertised and if inshould expect better performance from the converter. BTW they had the converter on sale and got it for 299.00
Thanks
Great choice. Once you experience a quality converter, there is no going back, the difference is night and day. I have a Coan nitrous converter ($600 new) same stall as yours. Zero slip off idle, but stalls at WOT. The more torque your engine makes, the higher the stall speed. Hard to quantify ET, but IMO there is a noticable improvement in all around drivability, especially compared to low end aftermarket. You are going to love that converter in your combination.
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
great choice. Once you experience a quality converter, there is no going back, the difference is night and day. I have a coan nitrous converter ($600 new) same stall as yours. Zero slip off idle, but stalls at wot. The more torque your engine makes, the higher the stall speed. Hard to quantify et, but imo there is a noticable improvement in all around drivability, especially compared to low end aftermarket. You are going to love that converter in your combination.
x2
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Getting ready to do a little winter porject. I recently brought a set of #5 heads ported with 2.02 intakes to replace my almost stock #5's.
If anyone is interested in some 5 heads with a full rebuild with ss valves, comp springs, etc; an Ebrock performer rpm cam; or a torkmaster converter for a TH350 please let me know. All parts have 300 miles on them.
Don't you mean stock heads ?

Never heard of a B&M TorkMaster, I have heard of B&M HoleShot & Super HoleShot convertors.

If you are replacing an 11" B&M with a 11" Coan, I doubt you see much improvement in ET or MPH unless the B&M had issues, especially if the stall speed was close to one another.

You can rest assured that you bought a quality convertor though.