Rocket to SBC swap

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
car guy

Sorry I missed it was a 54. I thought I read it was a Cutlass somewhere.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM

You are not alone. The confusion is due to incomplete information in the opening post.

The misspelling of Hydra-Matic, was my clue.

Norm
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM

This thread along with the 454 thread have gotton a little out of hand. I agree with Dan, lets just cool our jets
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
You are not alone. The confusion is due to incomplete information in the opening post.

The misspelling of Hydra-Matic, was my clue.

Norm
professor douche
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tony Daytona
professor douche
Thanks for that witty and well-thought-out response. This week seems to be the week for Chevy-in-Olds flame wars in multiple forums. In each case, the OP asked in an Oldsmobile forum (or in one case the AACA forum) and then was upset (in all cases with responses similar to the one above) when the general consensus was to keep the car all-Olds. What did you expect? It's the same as going on an import forum and asking about dropping an SBC into a Honda.

These forums are composed primarily of folks who like their Olds power exactly because it ISN'T a belly-button Chevy motor. No one can argue that the Chevy motors don't make power - the LSx series is especially impressive and show the advances in cylinder head design technology. The fact that I admire the technology doesn't make me want to drop one in my W-30, however. In the future, you might find more help, and likely more support, in a forum like Hotrodders.com.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Thanks for that witty and well-thought-out response. This week seems to be the week for Chevy-in-Olds flame wars in multiple forums. In each case, the OP asked in an Oldsmobile forum (or in one case the AACA forum) and then was upset (in all cases with responses similar to the one above) when the general consensus was to keep the car all-Olds. What did you expect? It's the same as going on an import forum and asking about dropping an SBC into a Honda.

These forums are composed primarily of folks who like their Olds power exactly because it ISN'T a belly-button Chevy motor. No one can argue that the Chevy motors don't make power - the LSx series is especially impressive and show the advances in cylinder head design technology. The fact that I admire the technology doesn't make me want to drop one in my W-30, however. In the future, you might find more help, and likely more support, in a forum like Hotrodders.com.
Well said!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM

I don't have a chevelle. And if you have nothing of substance to add, why not just move on? Internet comedians, you must really crack yourself up.
I am serious.
I like it here, this has been answered before, too.
Many, many times.
You will get 10 x MORE experience at a Chevy site than here.
We know OLDSMOBILES here. That means Oldsmobile engines too.
The mouse pad goes both ways for those who troll onto these sites stirring the pot.

Like I have said before, add a forum for this taxing problem.
It may get more traffic than the Sillouhette section.

Last edited by Warhead; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM

down Spike!!!! he asked for it. he didn't read the sign.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM

I have an Olds, I come to an Olds site, ask questions and 99% of you are Olds ****'s who b/c it's not your way and how you want it done will just hate and flame away. You wonder why you don't get respect from the younger generation, it's cause you're ********. If you didn't have an answer to a question, why post?

Another board, another forum, and a bunch of AARP loving IHOP early bird jerks flaming behing monitors. Will have it running before Rumblers 09 show. See ya there with bells on
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM

........ You wonder why you don't get respect from the younger generation, it's cause you're a**h***s ........
Good one.

It might be funny enough to replace my present sig line.

Norm
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Another board, another forum, and a bunch of AARP loving IHOP early bird jerks flaming behing monitors. Will have it running before Rumblers 09 show. See ya there with bells on
I am actually fond of the Village Inn Omlettes, myself.
The message here is if you decide at any time to go with Oldsmobile power, we are on board, and you will have more help than you can stand. No hate, no flaming, I, however, cringe at the loss.
There are other places to go with numerous people even more experienced at this swap.
Good luck, Tony.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM

delete

Last edited by orange442; December 23rd, 2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

As I review the posts in this thread, there only seems to be one person doing any flaming. Many have posted opinions, but only one is acting like a spoiled child.
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Registered Luser

Talking

On a serious note, why not sell the olds to someone who wants it and use the money to buy a chevy that the motor will drop right in! There ...PROBLEM SOLVED ON THIS SITE TONY! Who said you couldn't get answers here. Now for the guy with the BBC swap...
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Tony,

question asked and answered, drop the subject.
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Looks like it is time to close this thread.
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM

You guys are great! Does anybody know where I can find a Corvette body? I have a 403 out of a 77 Cutlass I want to drop in it! That way it will have more torque and be more dependable!
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM

'52 Chev turns mid 9's.

He was not allowed to participate in Super Chev events, because it is Olds powered.

Norm
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
On a serious note, why not sell the olds to someone who wants it and use the money to buy a chevy that the motor will drop right in! There ...PROBLEM SOLVED ON THIS SITE TONY! Who said you couldn't get answers here. Now for the guy with the BBC swap...
make an offer than, theres always another car.
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM

make an offer than, theres always another car.
I'd put this in the for sale section, really...
Don't forget location (that will narrow the field REAL quick, or spark a few guy's interest), Idea of what you expect for it, maybe some pictures showing what the project will need, and condition of what is left on it.
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Tony,
I've been readling this thread for days and wondering why no one suggested BBC Olds crate motor for the swap? They are out there. I've seen quite and few and thinking your client could probably afford it based on his status. Just a thought
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM

olds002.jpg
Cars freakin beautiful, paint and laced roof done by Chad Fischer out of Tampa. Cars in Holly Hill at my pal's house awaiting its motor surgery. Like I said from post 1, it runs fine....For Now! I've avoiding pitfalls to make a sweet cruiser for my wife n kids. Needs a reliable MODERN motor and some upgraded stopping power. As you see the car, you know why it's not in the For Sale section, because it's beautiful like all of your Olds. Always another car though hahahahaha
olds003.jpg
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

...Needs a reliable MODERN motor and some upgraded stopping power...
Yes, the car is beautiful. Just out of curiosity, why is an SBC (with a design that dates to 1955) any more "MODERN and reliable" than, oh, say a 1957 J2 Olds motor? No argument about upgrading the brakes, and even using a modern OD trans. You can get adapters to bolt the 700R4 to the early Olds V8.

Pick up the current Street Rodder for a nice article on building early Olds motors.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM

reliable in terms of much lower miles, only 10K on the SBC I got in hand. I was never determined to go with Chevy, just came along at the right time and price.
Will pick it up, thanks for the tip.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM

I must say that car is sweet. My thought is, sell the SBC for a nice price. I'm sure you can find a nice 350 OLDS and a 200r4 and that will slip in very nice. That way you can make some kid happy with the SBC and every one here will be so happy with you. You can make major brownie points all the way around.
Also it will end this thread.

Gene
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Also it will end this thread.

Gene
X2 enough
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
That way you can make some kid happy with the SBC and every one here will be so happy with you.
I'm going to be the heretic on this one and agree with Tony that what everyone here thinks is irrelevant. It's his car and he can certainly do what he wants. I do, however, reserve the right to yank his chain when he claims that an SBC (designed in the early 1950s) is more modern that a Rocket Olds motor. I also think that SBC swaps like this show a complete lack of imagination. I'd rather seen an early Hemi or a Northstar, or SOMETHING with a little thought behind it.
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM

A Lamborghini engine out of a 2009 Gallardo would be more modern than a SBC crate engine. Why not use one of those?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM

That was a GREAT little car!
Little?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

I tried this swap in my 64 Olds and decided to sell the car instead. The radiator outlet will have to be moved to the passanger side. If you buy headers be careful they don't come straight down to the cross -link. The fuel pump probably won't fit. The power steering hoses will have to be adapted.
Start with a set of 55-57 motor mount,front and rear and then adapt them. The new harmonic balancer will be larger than the Olds. As I said I gave up and sold the car.
I have a drive shaft that might help when you know the length.
Bob
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM

I forgot to mention that the front end will be riding on the bump stops. Might cause a bump steer problem, but some people told me it won't.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by BklynBob
Start with a set of 55-57 motor mount ........
'55-'57 Chev has four mounts. One on each side at the front of the engine, and one on each side of the bellhousing.

'55-'57 Olds has three mounts. One in the center at the front of the engine, and one on each side of the bellhousing.

None of them come anywhere near the mount points on the brand X, in question.

From post #28 at https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/55023-post28.html

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ Remove the front clip, set the engine/trans where you want it, and start fabricating. When you finish fabricating, put the clip back on ........
This would also apply to a '55-'57 Chev engine into a '58 Chev passenger car.

........ the front end will be riding on the bump stops ........
Not to worry: The ride height (and the nonexistent "bump steer") would return to normal, as soon as the front clip is back in place.

Norm
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM

motor mount swap

OK. You are correct and I need to clarily.

I used the brand-x rear mounts and fabricated some angle iron to match up to the Olds rear cross member. There were 2 pieces for each side with the rubber in the middle. The lower piece was welded to the angle iron which in turn was bolted to the cross member,
On the front I built a plate to match the cross member (K-Member). I welded some steps to the plate and the 2 front brand-x mounts were seated on the steps over a rubber doughnut. I avoided any welding that couldn't be reversed. But someone could build a cross member for the mid-engine mounts.

I used the brand-x rubber doughnuts on the front and rear.

Yes you're right. But I never used any of the Olds front mount, except the holes to mount my plate.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:56 PM

........ I used the brand-x rear mounts and fabricated some angle iron to match up to the Olds rear cross member........
Brand X or '55-'57?

Brand X uses the same trans mount as any other '58-up Chev. More practical to fabricate a new crossmember to match the mount.

'55-'57 Chev mounts bolt to the bellhousing, and would be close to matching the Olds crossmember. It could be made to work, if the Olds trans was still being used, but a late GM trans is what is being discussed.

........ On the front I built a plate to match the cross member ........
If the '55-'57 front mount pads could actually be attached the brand X block, it would be far easier to drill two matching holes in the existing crossmember.

........ But I never used any of the Olds front mount ........
That is a given.

How did you make the '55-'57 front mounts fit the '88 block?

Norm
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Rocket Veteran

I have an Olds, I come to an Olds site, ask questions and 99% of you are Olds ****'s who b/c it's not your way and how you want it done will just hate and flame away. You wonder why you don't get respect from the younger generation, it's cause you're ********. If you didn't have an answer to a question, why post?

You came to an Olds site to ask how to swap a Chevy engine into your car..You're nothing more than a trolling flame baiter. Please get another hobby.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Past Administrator

replacing my tapping rocket motor and every other month there's a bill
...would it be any different if it was a tapping Chevy motor?
but I want a clean reliable cruiser for my wife in the long run
...and an oldsmobile engine would not be reliable?
I assume it's been done a few hundred times.
...we would not know much about that, although I agree that it has probably been done.
Mainly need info about new motor mount positions and tips for an easy conversion.
...we wouldn't have much knowledge about that since we seldom put chevy engines in our Oldsmobile cars.
Also planning on adding a discbrake conversion so if you have a supplier would love a link. Thanks
...now that, we can probably do.

Your first statement I think got you off on the wrong foot from the beginning of all this. I disagree with flaming/name calling/insults/ etc. but I honestly think the responses you got should have been expected, the way you worded your first post.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM

ok ignoring a few posts and moving on, while ya'll have been typing, I've been working.
Got the motor and tranny pulled this past weekend. Had to pull the trans apart from the motor...again. Yes all 30 bolts around again...Other than the pain of that trans, went pretty smooth. Two of the 3 mounts had disinigrated over time and no longer bolted in, just kind of crushed into place. Front clip was a breeze. Bay got a nice mean green degreasing and power washing and started some plans for what I'll be doing.
So I want to keep the master cylinder where its at, but run a dual reservoir, also would like a power booster of some sort, a remote fill would be sweet, any links to where I can find that?
The mounts...Yes this is why you said find an Olds 350, the 3 mounts would be a breeze, I have a Chevy though...I'm thinking some nice cheap mounts from Speedway and make them work. I'll tackle it once I'm that far, trying to find a crossmember that will work right now, probably a 700r4 universal and cut n bolt into...

Oh, and smoothing out that fire wall palls, I dont need a heater in FL.

flame away, a link here and there that I can browse too will help.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Post a new thread about the brakes. You will have more luck getting help that way.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
Post a new thread about the brakes. You will have more luck getting help that way.
Nevermind, I see you already did that.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Observe SBC in a 64 Olds

This is the only picture left. But you can see the SBC mounts resting on the Olds frame. There are the 55-57 front mounts.

Quick Reply: Rocket to SBC swap