Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2020, 04:43 PM

Oil Light

Oil light came on today while driving so I came home and checked the oil. She’s full. Any reason why the oil light would come on?
Thanks.
Old June 6th, 2020, 05:02 PM

The oil light comes on because of a loss of oil pressure, not a lowering of the oil level. You measure that with the dipstick.

I'm no expert here, but if this were my car, the first thing I'd do is replace the oil pressure sensor and hope that fixes it. They're a few bucks at the auto parts store, and they can go bad. But if the light still goes on even with the new sensor, then I would get an actual oil pressure gauge and hook that up. You want to know what the oil pressure actually is. If your engine is experiencing a loss of oil pressure, there are several possible causes. How many miles on the engine?
Old June 6th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Replace the sending unit as suggested if there are no strange noises, the oil is close to full. Smell the oil for gasoline.

If strange noises don't run it.

What year, model, engine, mileage?

Good luck!!!
Old June 6th, 2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The oil light comes on because of a loss of oil pressure, not a lowering of the oil level. You measure that with the dipstick.

I'm no expert here, but if this were my car, the first thing I'd do is replace the oil pressure sensor and hope that fixes it. They're a few bucks at the auto parts store, and they can go bad. But if the light still goes on even with the new sensor, then I would get an actual oil pressure gauge and hook that up. You want to know what the oil pressure actually is. If your engine is experiencing a loss of oil pressure, there are several possible causes. How many miles on the engine?
Thanks. I will do that. The car currently has a 307 in it. The original engine is waiting for me to pick it up but with everything that’s happening things are on hold.

mice driven it twice today first time 30 minutes light never came on. Second time it came on after 25 minutes or so. I just started it again to pull it into my garage. It didn’t come in at first but then did as I pulled it into the garage.

ill try changing the oil (haven’t done it this year) and maybe put something thicker in it. As long as it lasts this year that’s all I care about. The 350 rocket is going back in next winter.
Old June 6th, 2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Replace the sending unit as suggested if there are no strange noises, the oil is close to full. Smell the oil for gasoline.

If strange noises don't run it.

What year, model, engine, mileage?

Good luck!!!
1971 Cutlass S car. The engine is 307 out of an 80’s Olds. Engine sounds healthy, just picked it up from my mechanic today (replaced the radiator). He said it sounded strong. I’ll smell the oil. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:33 PM

Is the light on all the time, not just idle? Cruising?
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:36 PM

Is the light on all the time, not just idle? Cruising?
When I start the car it’s not on. Once I drive it, it comes on and stays on. Regardless if I’m at an idle or not.
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:38 PM

Thicker oil isn’t the answer unless the sender is good and the bearings or pump are worn. In your climate 15w-40 is about the max viscosity I’d use.

Good luck and keep the thread updated.
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by James71Cutlass
mice driven it twice today
Well there's a problem that's separate from the possible low oil pressure issue. You can't let rodents have unlimited use of a motor vehicle as they will just go joyriding in search of cheese. Next thing you know the Wisconsin State Police will notify you they have impounded you car.
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:20 PM

If it stays on above idle and sounds good, it’s probably just the sender. To rule out a short unplug the sender when the light is on, it should extinguish.

If there wasn’t enough pressure to open the switch at cruise I’d expect the engine to tap and or knock.

Good luck!!!
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well there's a problem that's separate from the possible low oil pressure issue. You can't let rodents have unlimited use of a motor vehicle as they will just go joyriding in search of cheese. Next thing you know the Wisconsin State Police will notify you they have impounded you car.

lol darn iPhone.
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:27 PM

Thicker oil isn’t the answer unless the sender is good and the bearings or pump are worn. In your climate 15w-40 is about the max viscosity I’d use.

Good luck and keep the thread updated.
Will do. I’ll try that oil.
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:29 PM

If it stays on above idle and sounds good, it’s probably just the sender. To rule out a short unplug the sender when the light is on, it should extinguish.

If there wasn’t enough pressure to open the switch at cruise I’d expect the engine to tap and or knock.

Good luck!!!
Thanks. I will try that. It’s always sounded good and the light just came on today for the first time. I may take it out tomorrow and see if anything’s changed.
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:13 AM

When I start the car it’s not on. Once I drive it, it comes on and stays on. Regardless if I’m at an idle or not.
If the car is cold when you start it, this is expected behavior. When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker and the pressure higher. Once the engine warms up, the oil thins a bit and the pressure decreases.

One question, what happens if you shut off the car after the engine warms up and then a minute later restart it? Does the light come on immediately?
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:38 AM

If the car is cold when you start it, this is expected behavior. When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker and the pressure higher. Once the engine warms up, the oil thins a bit and the pressure decreases.

One question, what happens if you shut off the car after the engine warms up and then a minute later restart it? Does the light come on immediately?
I started it this morning. Took about two minutes for the light to come on. Drove it around and pulled into get some gas. Started it back up and the light didn’t come on for about 30-45 seconds. So no the light never comes on right away. Most of the time it’s 10 seconds but this last time I stopped after driving it for about 20 minutes it took 30-45 seconds to go on.
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:39 AM

Which one is the oil pressure sensor?
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:43 AM

Never mind I figured it out. It’s the lower one.
Old June 7th, 2020, 09:07 AM

I started it this morning. Took about two minutes for the light to come on. Drove it around and pulled into get some gas. Started it back up and the light didn’t come on for about 30-45 seconds.
This sounds like what would be expected. A few minutes to come on when the car is started cold, less than a minute when it's started hot.
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:20 AM

This sounds like what would be expected. A few minutes to come on when the car is started cold, less than a minute when it's started hot.
Do you think it’s the switch or the engine itself?
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Do you think it’s the switch or the engine itself?
If you held a gun to my head, I'd say I suspect that the sender is OK and the problem is the engine. But like I said earlier, the first thing I'd do is replace the oil pressure switch. They're less than $10, and it's a five-minute job. Do that and then tell us if the light still comes on the way it did with the original switch. Until you do some actual troubleshooting, all we're doing here is guessing.
Old June 7th, 2020, 02:17 PM

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say I suspect that the sender is OK and the problem is the engine. But like I said earlier, the first thing I'd do is replace the oil pressure switch. They're less than $10, and it's a five-minute job. Do that and then tell us if the light still comes on the way it did with the original switch. Until you do some actual troubleshooting, all we're doing here is guessing.
Ok thanks. I’ll do that along with changing the oil and maybe add a thicker oil.
Old June 7th, 2020, 04:36 PM

I'm guessing the sender is bad, because it only takes approx 5psi to open the switch to turn the light off. If its been driven regularly at less than 5psi oil pressure it would be tapping or knocking.

As posted earlier, don't overdo it with thick oil, that can increase pressure but at the same time reduce oil flow/volume and make for hard cold starts.

Good luck!!!
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:03 PM

I'm guessing the sender is bad, because it only takes approx 5psi to open the switch to turn the light off. If its been driven regularly at less than 5psi oil pressure it would be tapping or knocking.

As posted earlier, don't overdo it with thick oil, that can increase pressure but at the same time reduce oil flow/volume and make for hard cold starts.

Good luck!!!

Ok thanks.
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Took her out today for about 45 minutes. Made a few stops. Mostly country driving with a bit of city stops and starts and the light never came on. Popped the hood after to make sure the sensor was connected, which it was.
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:18 PM

What did you do ?
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What did you do ?
Nothing. Just got in and drove it lol. It’s really warm here today as well.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:23 PM

A short time will tell if you saved 10 bucks or cost you a engine. Curiosity and economics alone wouldn't allow me to run a engine with a issue like that. Just me....... Tedd
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
A short time will tell if you saved 10 bucks or cost you a engine. Curiosity and economics alone wouldn't allow me to run a engine with a issue like that. Just me....... Tedd
I’m getting a new sensor put in when I get my gears changed in the rear end. This is also a temporary engine in the car. Do I want to blow it up? Nope, would I care if I did? Nope.
Old June 11th, 2020, 04:25 AM

One thing I didn't see mentioned ( though maybe I missed it) is if the wire going to the switch has bad insulation or is pinched,etc, it can hit a ground and illuminate the light. I had that happen before. It can be likely on a car where the engine has been changed,etc.
Old June 11th, 2020, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
One thing I didn't see mentioned ( though maybe I missed it) is if the wire going to the switch has bad insulation or is pinched,etc, it can hit a ground and illuminate the light. I had that happen before. It can be likely on a car where the engine has been changed,etc.
Thanks. I'll take a look and yes this isn't the original engine in the car.