More Power to a stock Rocket 350!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM

More Power to a stock Rocket 350!!!!

Can somebody let me know how can I power up my 1971 cutlass Supreme It currently have a Rocket 350 in it...I cant even spin one wheel on it...Not unless it rain.....What do I need to do????
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Swap it for a 455

Well a few thigs are intake, headers, exhaust, and timing!
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Tune it up. If the engine is in decent condition, it should be right perky, even with a 2 bbl. If the engine is worn out, timing chain off, ring seal issues, etc, nothing is going to help.

If the engine is in decent shape, it is most likely timing/carb related. What are you running for carb and ignition?
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM

If you want to do it on the cheap put a gear in it.
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Add nitrous, drive till it blows up, THEN install the 455 you been turning wrenches on all winter

Well at least that's what I plan on doing. And imma have a BLAST doing it too lol
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Yeah a gear would definitely make a difference too. I forgot about that
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Cam, Springs, Valves, Headers, Intake, Carb, MSD Ignition, plugs, wires, etc.

Anyone of those things will probably help.
All of them together will most definitely help.

Edelbrock makes a performance package for Olds 350's with stock heads getting 397hp
Obviously the heads have work done to them, with a changed valvetrain.
Originally Posted by cutlassefi
If you want to do it on the cheap put a gear in it.
True....
Hell with my stock 2.78 peg leg I was able to put 325ft lbs down to
the pavement no problem in 1st and 2nd chirping the tires. (~410ft lbs crank - 20% for an auto)

Now that I got my bigger tires on , I can't even with a posi 3.73 ....lol
I need a new TC I think.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 9th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Cam, Springs, Valves, Headers, Intake, Carb, MSD Ignition, plugs, wires, etc.

Anyone of those things will probably help.
All of them together will most definitely help.

Edelbrock makes a performance package for Olds 350's with stock heads getting 397hp
Obviously the heads have work done to them, with a changed valvetrain.

True....
Hell with my stock 2.78 peg leg I was able to put 425ft lbs down to
the pavement no problem in 1st and 2nd chirping the tires.

Now that I got my bigger tires on , I can't even with a posi 3.73 ....lol
I need a new TC I think.
You made 425 RW ft/lbs with a 350????? Please tell us how!
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Yes.......do tell.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM

X2
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

I would think that you should be able to spin the tire(s) coming off idle, if you have everything adjusted properly. When I bought my 71 Supreme, I adjusted the timing, gave it a tuneup, and rebuilt the carb. I had to play with the rods/jet combo due to today's crappy gas. (I adjusted the rods down 4 sizes and the jets up 1) Once i did that, I can spin my 2.56 peg leg 20 feet easily coming off idle, w/245/60/14's on the back. (Can't wait to see what it will do with a 3.42 posi)

I would go back over all the basics first before adding on any modifications.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
You made 425 RW ft/lbs with a 350????? Please tell us how!
Error in my delivery ,

Putting down 325ft lbs to the pavement, which = ~410ft lbs @ crank
I will fix my post.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 9th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM

My 72 Supreme 350 would burn the crappy 14" tires (well 'tire') with 2.73's in its stock form from light to light. Once I started messing with the engine, it ran like crap and got slower. It was a sleeper with single exhaust, hubcaps, and oh so quiet. Sometimes I wish I had single exhaust again.

Unless you have big *** tires and/or modified things, they can spin the tires easily (even with the crappy low compression pistons) when in their stock form as above.

As above... gears would be the very first thing I would do.

Last edited by oldzy; December 9th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM

Truth be told, it doesn't take much to roast a skinny little tire these came with in a 3800lb tank.
215/70/14

Honda Accords come with bigger tires these days with 4 cylinders. LOL
So you definitely have a journey of wallet bleeding ahead of you if it can't roast those cute lil things.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 9th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Tune up, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to leave a cloud of burning rubber for a Prius to drive through if your engine, carb and ignition is in good condition, even in stock form.
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM

I totally agree with Tune up. The only thing not stock about my 71 Supreme are the headers and I can smoke the tires no problem.
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Make sure the vacuum advance can is working(blow through vacuum line, see if any air leaks out),and that the centrifigul weights are free to move. Make sure the timing is set right. Check the timing chain for looseness (grab hold of the balancer and turn back and forth by hand to see if you have any resistance). Make sure the transmission fluid is clean and at proper level. Ensure the spark plugs arent fouling from a rich fuel mixture.If you have a clutch fan, make sure it isnt locked up or hard to turn (had this happen once, and car would strain just to move).This car should be able to spin the stock tires no problem with whatever gear is in it. My 74 Cutlass can still break them loose (although a lot shorter distance than it used to) with the stock 350 with 480,000 miles on it. And it weighs about 250lbs more than the 71-72 models. The 350 2 bbl engine used to be even better at "spinning the tires" than the 4bbl(more steady torque band at lower rpm). Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old December 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Some good advice above; here is my approach, assuming the engine is in good condition, rings, valve job, etc.
Replace the nylon timing gear for security, and camshaft for something like the Comp XE262H for stock converter, or XE268H for a bit less bottom end power; both cams are daily driving type.
While the intake is off, replace it with a 4 barrel intake, stock is OK, best if not egr equipped, and a quadrajet, possibly with richer metering rods/jets if from the smog era (do not use an electronic controlled qjet).
Install cheap headers, .162" tubes or smaller is best, and 2.5" exhaust with low restriction mufflers.
Play with the distributor advance curve, using the Mr. Gasket or similar lighter springs.
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM

Ive been reading all of the post and even laughed at some...yall are funny people and have really been a help....I wanted to keep his 350 that I have in it but for some reason havent been able to get it running completely right after putting so much money it in already....I wanna give yall a quick breakdown as to whats been done and whats going on.......OK here goes...I bought the car from a older guy that claimed there MIGHT be a slightly blow headgasket in it...I bout the car for 2 grand even tho he wanted 35 for it so that was a go.....Ok I come home and a couple days later after a few checks here and there we came to the conclusion that the gasket was blown and blown on both sidess....changed both....took the heads to get surfaced and found 10 cracks between both the head....luckly the machine short happen to have 2 remaned heads in stock same as the ones I had...Bout um for 300....OK....So these heads has new valves...springs...seals..everthing was new inside the acutal head except the heads itself..So I installed them.....Now after all of that..I put new plug in and can get the car to....run even without it damn near trembleing ur head a loose.....and it keep sucking up antifreeze....Iam totally lose...The guy that fixed the timing up said it need new wires but Iam afraid to spend money in it if its no good.....Grandpa said I didnt rebuilt the bottom end and thas whats cause oil to blow in the front bottom in the engine now......So as yall can see Iam going thru....What are any of yall take on that???
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If it is still sucking up antifreeze with remanned heads, I'm guessing you didn't scrape the surfaces correctly.

Or, the intake, or timing cover gasket is bad, and it's leaking there.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Timothy26
Ive been reading all of the post and even laughed at some...yall are funny people and have really been a help....I wanted to keep his 350 that I have in it but for some reason havent been able to get it running completely right after putting so much money it in already....I wanna give yall a quick breakdown as to whats been done and whats going on.......OK here goes...I bought the car from a older guy that claimed there MIGHT be a slightly blow headgasket in it...I bout the car for 2 grand even tho he wanted 35 for it so that was a go.....Ok I come home and a couple days later after a few checks here and there we came to the conclusion that the gasket was blown and blown on both sidess....changed both....took the heads to get surfaced and found 10 cracks between both the head....luckly the machine short happen to have 2 remaned heads in stock same as the ones I had...Bout um for 300....OK....So these heads has new valves...springs...seals..everthing was new inside the acutal head except the heads itself..So I installed them.....Now after all of that..I put new plug in and can get the car to....run even without it damn near trembleing ur head a loose.....and it keep sucking up antifreeze....Iam totally lose...The guy that fixed the timing up said it need new wires but Iam afraid to spend money in it if its no good.....Grandpa said I didnt rebuilt the bottom end and thas whats cause oil to blow in the front bottom in the engine now......So as yall can see Iam going thru....What are any of yall take on that???
Gotta ask, is this really the way you talk? Just curious.
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM

now now yallz
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM

A 350 should be able to smoke the tires. It could just be a tired engine.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:24 AM

First off let me address the female that asked me is this the way I talk...Does it really matter the way I talk?....This is a forum and Iam typing the way I wanna type or talk...if it offended you you coulda just not responded or read what I said...anyway back to the real business and grown people......Iam going to check the timing gasket or just replace it all together then...as far as the intake gasket it is a brand new one that was installed when I began putting the engine back together
@coltsneckbob....maybe so.....maybe thats all my problem is to just get another engine....I dont even wanna think like that so hopefully not.....Thanks for the genuine and mature replies friends!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:55 AM

I agree with Mark........half way through your post I decided it was not worth my time.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Past Administrator

Timothy,

I don't think HE was offended or trying to insult you. Your method of keying down your thoughts probably makes it difficult for him to read. It is kind of hard to follow. When you use three periods in a row it usually means that you have omitted part of a previously keyed statement someone else has put down that you are quoting. It works like this.

'...Good luck and let us know what happens.' quote from goatwgn in post #17.

If your car is still using coolant and it isn't leaking out of the engine visibly then it is probably going out the tailpipe as steam. With new heads and head gaskets that leaves the possibility it is a in the block. Considering that both the heads had numerous cracks and the head gaskets were blown as well I am wondering what could have caused that damage and if that same incident has caused damage to your block as well.

Guys, am I wrong in this thought process or not? I really want to get Timothy some help with this.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
I agree with Mark........half way through your post I decided it was not worth my time.
Yup. Bad grammar I can take. Creative spelling I can take. Neologistic "hip" terms for common engine parts I can take. Optional or entirely misplaced punctuation I can take. Novel use of fonts I can take.
But, all five of the above, combined with zero visual differentiation of ideas (can you say, "paragraph?") and an utter lack of clear descriptions, has made me cross.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM

If you had 2 bad heads, check the block, I'll bet it's warped/damaged too. Ever think of doing a compression check?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM

first of is the motor tired? had it been rebuilt? are all pistons firing correctly and have a respectable compression? another thing is... what tranny are u running? there too...gears will play a factor in gear ratio if you want tires to burn, Go with the simple for now and find out how everything is running. I have 1970 olds 350 with 7 heads she burns rubber no prob backed with a switch pitch 400 turbo, only mods are: standard rebuild with only 40,000 miles forged pistons, 4bbl quadrajet and electronic ignition and this is sittin in a 1966 delta 88....hauls ***, not sure the specs tho, i never had it on a dyno, engine is pretty much all stock...go figure
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM

Sift through the above advice and you have everything you need for a good start. There comes a time when it isn't worth it to try any more polishing on a #$%& and you need to put the engine in a GOOD machine shop for assessment and rebuilding with good parts. As stated above, if you had two junk heads, you might be there now. At the minimum, it is shortsighted to assume everything under the heads is good. Olds heads are pretty tough compared to some other brands, and your goal seems to be more than a doggy worn out daily driver.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:13 AM

(Run to Rund) I could'nt have said it better
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM

Ok thanks for the replies...Some were sarcastic and some were real....I think some people are up here to insult and irk with there lame comments...but its okay...I thought this sight was for grown man and not cowards so Ill let those that said somethnig negative rest in peace and go on with my life...Im going to let this situation alone and try to get help the old fashion way where somebody can be more hands on about my help without it being in a jokeN matter or diss for how someone explained/typed/grammer/spelling...Thanks to the real Oldsmobile bloggers and not the ones behind the computer typing anything knowing in reality or in a real life situation talking like that can get you smacked........lata
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
NOVICE car nut

Sounds like someone is having a bad day....
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM

LOL. I make fun of everyone equally. 'Eh', 'yall', 'aboot', 'my friend'...I don't care, tis all in good fun. The funniest I experienced was down at a restaurant at a moto-x race in the states long ago in the Rick Johnson/Jeff Ward days. The girl said... 'yall from Canadaaaa'? Said... 'yep, we from Canadaaa eh'.

Could care less what ppl think on the internetz. I type the way I want, abbreviate when I want... (use ... when I want). Type b/c instead of because... why?... b/c I can. Type color instead of colour b/c I am too lazy to type an extra u, etc.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM

If you want real answers to help your problem, you have to type and ask in a real language. Not gobledy-gook.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'll bust people's chops, but I don't make fun of them.

I do, however, expect that other people will have enough respect for my fellows and me that, in a communication medium that is 90% written (and 10% photographic), they will take the time to write in a way that clearly expresses their meaning, without my having to exert excessive or unusual effort in order to understand them.

I will cheerfully make allowances for non-native English speakers, and have grown accustomed to Canadians who type "b/c" as though it were "eh."

I will not, though, suffer gladly through confusing and convoluted expressions of what may or may not be clouded thoughts. It is the responsibility of the writer to make his meaning clear, not that of the reader to decipher the meaning amongst intentionally laid obstructions. In general, we on the interwebs call out those who type in all caps, or who (God save us) use the dreaded rEVERSE cAPS lOCK because it makes their posts unreadable and is therefore offensive.

I'm calling a spade a spade here. Tim, stop it. Type like a normal person, so that we can read what you've written and understand your meaning. If not, then I, for one, will stop reading your posts, and will not offer any help to you (you can peruse my posts to see concrete examples of help I have afforded others).
In any group of people some common standards and rules must apply in order to facilitate civilized interaction. Your typing is outside of those standards, and I am asking you to stop doing it.

Oh, and don't half-threaten to "smack" people. It's childish.

- Eric
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM

Mmmmmm perhaps I should not weigh in on this, but what the heck I am just so darn opinionated.

I agree that Timothy's typing skills may not be the best, but I can make out what he is saying. I don't know what his background is, and whether it is the reason for his particular writing style, but since I don't know about him I don't feel it my place to subjectively critique his style. I think we should keep in mind that even if anyone regards his post as "challenging" he may in fact be extremely adept at some other skill(s). Since all he did was try to communicate his problem, without, as far as I can tell, offending anyone why should anyone else deem it necessary to insult him. If you can't read his posts without incurring a brain injury then I would just ignore them. If on the other hand one feels so compelled to help him, but yet has trouble understanding him you can always ask him to restate the problem(s).

Last edited by coltsneckbob; December 22nd, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM

blah blah blah
  • Get engine back to stock form / tune up
  • Gears gears gears.

That is all I have to say.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM

Exactly !
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, my brain hurts.

Also, I have not said anything insulting to Tim, or off the subject of putting a bit more care into his posts. I did not mean to imply in any way that he is not extremely capable, or even that he is incapable of stringing together a comprehensible sentence; for all I know, he may be a master of prose, write fluently in a half a dozen languages, and be inflicting this style on us intentionally because it seems cool to him, or because he's a troll.
I'm not trying to say he's not sharp, I'm trying to say he's doing something annoying.

Heck, I can see that what I'm doing right now may be annoying, which is why I'm going to stop now.

- Eric

Quick Reply: More Power to a stock Rocket 350!!!!