More Power to a stock Rocket 350!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

It is also plainly evident that Timothy is thoroughly frustrated at his situation, and he conveys that in his posts.

Take a deep breath. It can be fixed. Be clear and concise, most posters here, will help you out.

I agree with cutlassefi. When doing valve work, I would see 1 cracked early Oldsmobile head, for 10 Chevrolets. My 65 came with 2 cracked heads, and the block had a split in the #6 cyl.
Your previous owner KNEW what was wrong, that is how you got the deal.

If you had 2 cracked heads, I will bet cash, there's more wrong down below.
I would be looking for a short block.
Do a compression test, check for leak, sealing issues first.

My opinion,
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; December 22nd, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM

I'm basically with Warhead on this one - he new he was selling a 'cooked' motor in this car!
I used to do headwork, and that many cracks designates a motor that was SO overheated, I'll bet it seized, or came very close!
If you pull it down, I'll bet you find scored pistons and cracked cylinders - from overheating!

If it was me, I'd find another motor, and take that original to the smelter!
Not worth rebuiding, iMO!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Timothy26
Ok thanks for the replies...Some were sarcastic and some were real....I think some people are up here to insult and irk with there lame comments...but its okay...I thought this sight was for grown man and not cowards so Ill let those that said somethnig negative rest in peace and go on with my life...Im going to let this situation alone and try to get help the old fashion way where somebody can be more hands on about my help without it being in a jokeN matter or diss for how someone explained/typed/grammer/spelling...Thanks to the real Oldsmobile bloggers and not the ones behind the computer typing anything knowing in reality or in a real life situation talking like that can get you smacked........lata
See he IS perfectly capable of decent and readable posting.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
One of None W-31

Never knew that a post 1970 Olds 350 was such a monster of car that could easily "smoke the tires." Remember, in stock form this "monster" of a car loses to Nissan Maximas and 6 cylinder Honda Accords on the street.
Tim, disregard the internet crap that has been posted regarding your typing, and follow the advice given regarding: rear gears, 4 barrell carb, head work, higher cr and the like. I also have a 71 Timothy, and it took a lot of $$ and engine work to get my car to simply leave a Maxima in the dust. Because my combination has been posted previously, PM me if you want the info.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM

My stock one wheel deal 72 w/ 350 smoked the tires easily factory bone stock from a dead stop idle, then flooring it... TIS A FACT. Of course it would get beat by crappy Hondas that weigh nothing. Mine ran 15.62 @ 87mph in the 1/4, so obviously it is going to get beat by most things out there. It was a nice sounding 350 though that seemed to have a lot of low end torque.

And who gives a crap about Hondas anyway... I would take a gutless cutlass any day over one of those things. 95% of the ones around here are older Honda's with backward hat freaks at the helm with crappy exteriors and stereos/rims/tires/exhaust worth more than the car.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:34 PM
One of None W-31

Must have been one tire smokin monster to run 87mph in the 1/4 mile. Who cares about Hondas...everyone whose laughing at the "smoke burning monster" getting easily beaten by one. Does nothing but bring disrespect and embarrassment to Oldsmobile, to have a total piece of junk, itty bitty honda smoke the Olds 350 tire smoking "monster" (whatever), and then yell out the window, "really tough muscle car dude hahahahaha" and speed off. This isn't already obvious?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM

EDIT: ohhh, that was too harsh I guess

Last edited by oldzy; December 22nd, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM

Being 'faster' is not everything, and was basically conceding to that fact in this case. I would much rather have a slowww but nice classy looking Cutlass (Supreme of course ) than a Honda any day of the week. If you are so hung up on getting beat by Honda's and Maxima's... then sell your Olds and get one of them instead. It is no secret that 71+ Olds engines are slower in general and require mods.

Now when I rebuild my engine again, I am not doing a 72 spec 350 like last time... it will be a 70 spec 350 with a little flavor (no, not W31 specs - I would actually like to use my A/C, pwr brakes/steering, etc.). Of course it would be nice to get into the mid to low 13's/12's for a change... but those HS days of 'speed is everything' are not as important to me now.

Last edited by oldzy; December 22nd, 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM

Turning over the tires isn't the whole story anyway. I can barely spin the Hoosier 30x9 tires on my 66.
Fix your car up the way you like it and enjoy it. There is always something faster.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM

Timothy i would have the block checked out ! If it is the original motor i would keep the block and find another set of heads. If this motor is not the original and if you like the 350 find another or go with the 455. I just rebuld my 350 and i know have 2500/3000 $ in it ! And it is not the original motor. But i didnt know antil i had a lot of money in it . If i had to do all over i would have got a 455 from someone. You can find a 455 motor for 600$ if your car is worth it .I love mine so i will do eanything to keep it on the road but that just me. By the way it looks like you have a nice car so save your money and do the right thing.Just rember nothing was built in one day!

Last edited by michael hilsabeck; December 23rd, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
One of None W-31

The answer is not to buy a Honda, but to build up the motor in the Olds
Fast is not everything, true enough, but saying "I have a Cuda, 442 (or whatever) that can't do squat, but looks great" ruins half of the equation for me and virtually anyone else. How do I know it ruins it for everyone else? Good question, here's your perfect answer. Because my 71 has been my everyday driver for 15 years, many people during this time have come up to me at the gas station, grocery store, etc. to talk about the car. Guess what the first question EVERYONE of them asks? "Hey, what motor does it have in it? They like the way it looks, but they also want to know if it's fast.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; December 23rd, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM

Mmmmmm perhaps I should not weigh in on this, but what the heck I am just so darn opinionated.

I agree that Timothy's typing skills may not be the best, but I can make out what he is saying. I don't know what his background is, and whether it is the reason for his particular writing style, but since I don't know about him I don't feel it my place to subjectively critique his style. I think we should keep in mind that even if anyone regards his post as "challenging" he may in fact be extremely adept at some other skill(s). Since all he did was try to communicate his problem, without, as far as I can tell, offending anyone why should anyone else deem it necessary to insult him. If you can't read his posts without incurring a brain injury then I would just ignore them. If on the other hand one feels so compelled to help him, but yet has trouble understanding him you can always ask him to restate the problem(s).
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM

Mmmmmm perhaps I should not weigh in on this, but what the heck I am just so darn opinionated.

I agree that Timothy's typing skills may not be the best, but I can make out what he is saying. I don't know what his background is, and whether it is the reason for his particular writing style, but since I don't know about him I don't feel it my place to subjectively critique his style. I think we should keep in mind that even if anyone regards his post as "challenging" he may in fact be extremely adept at some other skill(s). Since all he did was try to communicate his problem, without, as far as I can tell, offending anyone why should anyone else deem it necessary to insult him. If you can't read his posts without incurring a brain injury then I would just ignore them. If on the other hand one feels so compelled to help him, but yet has trouble understanding him you can always ask him to restate the problem(s).

.................................................. ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM

I HAD TO POST THIS THREE TIMES AND UNDERLINE THE ****......THE MOST MATURE THING SAID IN THE WHOLE DAMN THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO IT IS GROWN PEOPLE ON THIS SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM

not everyone is trying to hurt him .there is some people trying to help.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

OK.
Enough back and forth. Get back to the point everyone. Rather than waste time arguing, go spend it learning more, or building.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by michael hilsabeck
not everyone is trying to hurt him .there is some people trying to help.
I agree....I think most folks are trying to help.
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM

It sounds to me that the engine was extremely overheated . All the cracks in the heads leads me to think the block has major problems. I'm sure all the rings have collapsed. I'm sure the timing chain is all wore out also. Another thought is the head bolts not to spec on torque.Also the new heads have been milled and the use of the tin valley pan intake gasket did not seal. Also not the correct torque on the intake bolts. In short maybe another 350 or get a 455 and make it run. I would get another 350 use your new heads and go from there. You might have the new heads check out also, just in case.

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; December 24th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM

350's are not hard to find. Perhaps some one in his local area has one available. Tim post your location and you might be pleasantly surprised with the results. 99.9% of the people on this site are ready and willing to help out a fellow Olds nut.
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM
NOVICE car nut

well , as long as were on the subject , I was hoping to get more power out of my 72 CS myself , it has the original 4BL QJ....unknown miles . The 350 knocks on warm up (sounds like wrist pin) but it seems the top of motor was rebuilt at one time (no lifter tick) I converted to dual exhaust. Long story short - she really dogs when you punch it from a stop , but after about 15ft I get this burst of power all of a sudden....
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
NOVICE car nut

A Few Pic's

Here's a few pic's on my 72 CS as of lately , below rear window was all pitted and had a few holes going across( channel seems fine for the most part) rears qtrs have a few holes on both sides , front fender had a hole in it , and the dash has the most rust ....I,m thinking I need to replace the 20 yr old air shocks in back , they only hold air for a week lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phpg8kAHsAM.jpg (87.4 KB, 25 views)
phpGlbmaFAM.jpg (94.9 KB, 33 views)
phppCB0IgAM.jpg (94.0 KB, 27 views)
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM

oh ya... those are the exact hubcaps mine came with. I still have them. The caps, whitewalls, and single exhaust. Back to complete stock or no... hmmm. I just hate when the hubcaps fall off though. Had it happen twice.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldzy
oh ya... those are the exact hubcaps mine came with. I still have them. The caps, whitewalls, and single exhaust. Back to complete stock or no... hmmm. I just hate when the hubcaps fall off though. Had it happen twice.
my hubs will never fall off , as a matter of fact you have to use a small screwdriver to fit between rim and hub cap and pry out and they come right off. there is a dent on the front fender from someone trying to use tireiron to get hub cap off, they fit quite snug.
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Gears?

Gentlemen,

What do you mean by "gears, gears, gears?" If you are talking about rear end gears, can you just swap out the "guts" of the existing rear end or do you have to change out the entire rear axle? Further, what it you have the ol' two speed jetaway - will the "gears, gears, gears" mantra still work?

Secondly, anyone know where I can get a good (meaning reliably rebuilt or new) QuadraJet carb and intake to replace my stock 2/2? If so, where would I get the gaskets for the intake?

Thanks everyone!

Bryon
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Holy old thread Batman! Yes, you can swap just the gears, if you can find gears for your type O rear. Add a TH2004R trans and 3.90 gears and you will **** your pants, the first time you floor it. I gained .6 in the 1/8 mile going from 2.56 gears to 3.42 gears. Even a swap to TH350 gives a much better first gear but limits the rear end ratio.
Old November 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Hello all:

I noticed this statement in Aceshigh's comment: "Edelbrock makes a performance package for Olds 350's with stock heads getting 397hp
Obviously the heads have work done to them, with a changed valvetrain." Will someone be willing to direct me to information on this package by edelbrock? Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It was done with ported #5's and big valves with their RPM cam and intake. Also flat top pistons and headers. That cam requires around 10 to 1 compression, pretty big stall and gears. Don't go that radical, unless you are looking for strip car.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Timothy26
Can somebody let me know how can I power up my 1971 cutlass Supreme It currently have a Rocket 350 in it...I cant even spin one wheel on it...Not unless it rain.....What do I need to do????
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:32 AM

Hey u ever get that 350to spin them tires yet I got a 72 pretty much all stock when I bought it had same problem I put in a cam,intake,carb and then plugs and wires and same thing no burn outs so I had a older guy one of my dads freinds look at it my timimg was way off he had to loosen up the cap and rotor thing that the shaft goes down into the motor and turned it completely 180%like someone before me working on it messed up but once he did that I can burn that lil 14 off a block solid with dry pavement
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:42 AM

The next trip for my 70 is the junk yard.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 72oldsS
Hey u ever get that 350to spin them tires yet...
No he didn't, he had additional trouble with his block I think. He had oil in his coolant and vice-verse. He hasn't posted since late 2010 I think.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:21 AM

On reading this thread, I had to do it. You guys are to blame. Dry pavement, work parking lot. I just lit up the 225/75R15s on an 33 year old Custom Cruiser with a 307 and a Canuck q-jet.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Professur
On reading this thread, I had to do it. You guys are to blame. Dry pavement, work parking lot. I just lit up the 225/75R15s on an 33 year old Custom Cruiser with a 307 and a Canuck q-jet.
Allright!
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Professur
Lol, Well I did a doughnut in the front seat of my 38 year old land cruiser with a blonde in a Tim Horton's parking lot. Back seat wasn't dry