Choosing the right pistons

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 02:49 AM

Choosing the right pistons

Domed vs dished vs flat , whats the pros and cons of each?
Old December 29th, 2013, 03:40 AM

Piston choice is determined by the desired compression ratio, which in turn depends on the goals and purpose of the build. All things being equal I prefer a flat top for flame travel, but the most important thing is to get the desired compression ratio. Domed pistons (rarely used on Oldsmobiles) can be a pain due to clearance issues with the valves.
Old December 29th, 2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
Piston choice is determined by the desired compression ratio, which in turn depends on the goals and purpose of the build. All things being equal I prefer a flat top for flame travel, but the most important thing is to get the desired compression ratio. Domed pistons (rarely used on Oldsmobiles) can be a pain due to clearance issues with the valves.
Flame travel???
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:50 AM

DON'T FORGET PISTON MATERIAL
Cast as in stock pistons or super hard hypereuretic (sp) cast
forged 2036 super soft or 4032 harder forged
joepenoso
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Really only flat top, 1.4cc, 3cc and 6cc in forged pistons. Only two have modern ring packs, the CP and Probe. But they are limited to a hone clean up and .030 over bore. Then there is the sbc 400 and rod combos.
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by joepenoso
DON'T FORGET PISTON MATERIAL
Cast as in stock pistons or super hard hypereuretic (sp) cast
forged 2036 super soft or 4032 harder forged
joepenoso
Joe i haven't the slightest clue of the difference and/or pros and cons of each, can u enlighten me?
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Probe and CP are 2618 alloy and the Speed Pro are 4032, I believe. Some believe the 2618 is superior, softer but more forgiving for detonation. Either way forged are far superior to hyper or cast and only need slightly more clearance with modern designs. No hyper pistons are made for the 350, unless you go the 400 sbc piston and rod option.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 29th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
The Probe and CP are 2618 alloy and the Speed Pro are 4032, I believe. Some believe the 2618 is superior, softer but more forgiving for detonation. Either way forged are far superior to hyper or cast and only need slightly more clearance with modern designs. No hyper pistons are made for the 350, unless you go the 400 sbc piston and rod option.
Ok thx!
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
Flame travel???
The spark from your spark plug ignites the air fuel mixture in your combustion chamber and a flame front travelling through it builds up. A flat top piston allows the flame front to travel faster and disperse more even along the piston head, which means to put it briefly, more power.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by dancutlass
The spark from your spark plug ignites the air fuel mixture in your combustion chamber and a flame front travelling through it builds up. A flat top piston allows the flame front to travel faster and disperse more even along the piston head, which means to put it briefly, more power.

Ehhh kinda.

Combustion chamber shape, spark plug location, fuel, and compression ratio also contribute to flame travel. There's more to it than just the top of the piston.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Ehhh kinda.

Combustion chamber shape, spark plug location, fuel, and compression ratio also contribute to flame travel. There's more to it than just the top of the piston.
Yes sorry, Mark. I meant with all being equal, but the top of the piston!
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

At this juncture, I think it fair to say:

OldSkool84, you are asking much better questions now, but you are asking questions that can't or shouldn't be answered on an internet forum.

You now need to go out and get some books (or even on-line resources) about engine design and performance and read them in order to gain a basic understanding of piston design, piston materials, head flow and porting, compression ratios, flame front propagation, valve and ignition timing, and carburetion / fuel injection.
See the current thread on home porting, for instance.

Once you have absorbed a basic level of knowledge, you will be better able to fix your own engine, and to ask the sorts of questions that will allow you to properly plan the sorts of upgrades you would like.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
At this juncture, I think it fair to say:

OldSkool84, you are asking much better questions now, but you are asking questions that can't or shouldn't be answered on an internet forum.

You now need to go out and get some books (or even on-line resources) about engine design and performance and read them in order to gain a basic understanding of piston design, piston materials, head flow and porting, compression ratios, flame front propagation, valve and ignition timing, and carburetion / fuel injection.
See the current thread on home porting, for instance.

Once you have absorbed a basic level of knowledge, you will be better able to fix your own engine, and to ask the sorts of questions that will allow you to properly plan the sorts of upgrades you would like.

- Eric
Thx for your honest and straight forwArd input. Ive ordered most the reading materials you've recommended but am still playing the waiting game for them to arrive(ah the joy of being thousands of miles from the mainland... Sigh :/). Is there a particular book/dvd series that you'd recommend to explain carb vs efi ?
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree with the recommendations made above for books.

The Chassis Service Manual is essential for everybody, and you should have the Fisher Body Manual as well. Mondello's and Trovato's books are definitely helpful if you're considering modifying your engine.

The Chassis Service Manual contains clear simple descriptions of how every part and system works, including the carburetor and ignition.
"Timing and Vacuum Advance 101" by John Hinckley is helpful, as is "Distributor Vacuum Advance Control units
Specs and facts"
by Lars Grimsrud
The Rochester Carburetor Manual is good to read if you are going to use a QuadraJet, but most of what's in it is also in the Chassis Service Manual.
I also liked Cliff Ruggles's book on QuadraJets.

CarburetorManuals.com also has a number of different carburetor manuals.

Once you've looked through some of this stuff, you'll be in a much better position to ask questions that don't require several pages to explain, and don't lead to threads where people are arguing about the correct answers, and half of them are wrong.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I agree with the recommendations made above for books.

The Chassis Service Manual is essential for everybody, and you should have the Fisher Body Manual as well. Mondello's and Trovato's books are definitely helpful if you're considering modifying your engine.

The Chassis Service Manual contains clear simple descriptions of how every part and system works, including the carburetor and ignition.
"Timing and Vacuum Advance 101" by John Hinckley is helpful, as is "Distributor Vacuum Advance Control units
Specs and facts"
by Lars Grimsrud
The Rochester Carburetor Manual is good to read if you are going to use a QuadraJet, but most of what's in it is also in the Chassis Service Manual.
I also liked Cliff Ruggles's book on QuadraJets.

CarburetorManuals.com also has a number of different carburetor manuals.

Once you've looked through some of this stuff, you'll be in a much better position to ask questions that don't require several pages to explain, and don't lead to threads where people are arguing about the correct answers, and half of them are wrong.

- Eric
Thx eric, ive deff got my work cutout for me! Lol
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:29 AM

Oldskool84, much info can just be gotten free off the internet. Just google a topic of interest and you can find tons of good info. Keep in mind of course not every shread on info will be 100% true and some info can be debated, but at least you can learn the basics and that will be very helpfull to you.
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM

I kno, thats why i joined this site.
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Just on the topic of the "dished" type. I found out to late that there are both low & high compression dished pistons available in Oldsmobiles.
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Good to kno
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Most important thing is to realistically decide what you are going to use your engine for and what compression ratio you are aiming for. Next is what set of heads you are using, the combustion chamber size will dictate which set of pistons you have to use to get the desired compression ratio and which material you have to have. Don't over complicate it.
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Most important thing is to realistically decide what you are going to use your engine for and what compression ratio you are aiming for. Next is what set of heads you are using, the combustion chamber size will dictate which set of pistons you have to use to get the desired compression ratio and which material you have to have. Don't over complicate it.
No doubt