Water/Meth Kit for 455

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2020, 01:48 AM

Water/Meth Kit for 455

What is the best water/meth kit for a 455 with a carb?

Old April 1st, 2020, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

To be honest, I can't see what makes one "better" than the others. Every one of these kits is just a tank, a pump, a nozzle, and a control module. Decades ago I ran the old Edelbrock Varajection system on a dual quad 455. It helped, but frankly it was less than satisfying. That was in the 1980s when unleaded high octane was often tough to find in SoCal. Today, I don't know that you'd really need it.

Old April 1st, 2020, 04:56 PM

Used the same Vara Jection on various Cars in the 80-90’s. Worked decently but they have modern kits for turbo cars that are higher pressure, better atomization but controlling the operation is tricky on a non computer engine.
Old April 1st, 2020, 08:33 PM

probably something like this....

https://www.snowperformance.net/wate...-sno-15025.asp

I know their kits work well on turbo cars that I have messed with

Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:13 AM

My buddy uses the snow performance unit with combo gauge/controller and is pretty happy with it. Make sure to get a kit that warns you when the tank is low if you're pushing the envelope.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:57 AM

AEM, but why do think you need one!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 03:12 PM

If I wasn't at high elevation with easy access to E85 fuel and all kinds of high octane race fuels only 2 miles away.......

I would be pushing my compression to the limit at sea level and looking to run E85 or a water/meth kit if E85 wasn’t available. Also, remember that the meth adds octane, but the water is a lot of the anti-detonation ingredient as well, and it will keep your pistons and chambers super clean!

If we ever perform a do-over on our engine and we stay naturally aspirated, I would replace the pistons to a newer design/technology piston and try to get ~ 12.5:1+ compression.

Having high compression and the timing for max torque makes wonderful power....if you can control combustion temp spikes with octane, or anti-detonants

To me, there is nothing worse than a lazy, low-compression engine that will take all the timing you can throw at it without an issue. On the other side of the coin, having so much cylinder pressure and compression that you have to run the timing retarded because you have poor fuel and no anti-detonant also sucks.... a neutered performance engine....

Last edited by Battenrunner; April 2nd, 2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 02:52 AM

Thousands of years ago, I built my own "water injection" system using a toggle switch, a windshield washer pump and reservoir, some hose, and a two-stream windshield-washer nozzle aimed at the primary venturis.

I wasn't sophisticated enough to figure out how to restrict the water supply. The system "worked" but blew so much water down the carb that the engine would buck and stumble. A needle-valve, or even some resistors in the power supply to the pump would have gone a long way toward sorting out that system.
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:24 PM

Pro Meth makes a nice kit with a rail & nozzle that sits ABOVE the carb.

Water/Meth kits have advantages even with 9.5 - 10.5 compression vehicles. The water/meth injection cools the intake runners (which means more HP), cleans the combustion chamber and prevents detonation at high RPM, which robs power and can cause engine damage.

Some states only have 91 octane which can be tough to deal with. 93 octane helps but if you only have 91 octane, the water/meth helps. It only activates at WOT so its inexpensive to run.