Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Dismantling 1971 Delta 88 455 car

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

Dismantling 1971 Delta 88 455 car

Hey all
I'm putting this up here first before I start posting items on ebay. I recently acquired a 1971 Delta 88 that is complete but has rust under the vinyl top, holes into the trunk. Complete 4 bbl engine, nice front end, trunk lid and rear bumper have dings, the only rust I'm seeing beyond surface rust is under the vinyl top. Dark blue paint, lighter blue interior, tilt column but manual windows, locks and seat. Tags expired in 2002, I can do a compression test if someone wanted the engine. If someone wanted the whole car I'd sell it complete, but unless you were close by the shipping would probably be more than it is worth. I'm thinking a couple weeks here then I'll start marketing parts on ebay and craigslist. A couple photos attached but I have a lot more and can take pictures of anything specific you want to see. John

P1010687.jpg
P1010685.jpg
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you want to wait a few weeks, that cool. This car looks remarkably solid for its age. I'm looking for a 4 core rad, 61 or 63 amp alt, Cruise parts, and a HD rad overflow that came with a lot of the 455s.

Where'd ya find this car? Just from looking at the outside, I would guess the inside looks pretty decent too even though its showing some wear on the rear seats.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM

What heads are on it?

I don't have my Olds book here at work
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM

Parts

Hello Allen
The rainfall in my part of the state is about 18 inches a year, and they don't salt the roads in the winter. So unless a car is parked under an Oak tree they usually hold up pretty well. The sun in the summertime can be pretty harsh. The paint on my 1970 is badly weathered and I blame it on the long hot summers. Well, nothing like the South West states, but for the Pacific Northwest it's bad!

I've got several 4 core radiators, but most have been sitting for a while. I don't know how long they'd hold up without a rebuild. If you want I can send you some photos so you can see what you think. I also have lots of alternators, did you want one that has the 1971 numbers in it or would any year be OK as long as it's the correct fit for your car? I have 50-75 core alternators with the separate voltage regulator that was used in the 1960's into early 1970's. I was hoping this car would have cruise but it doesn't. I have a 1978 Toronado parts car with cruise but the setup is different from the 1971 "A" body. Sorry, the radiator overflow on this car is an antifreeze jug with a hose pushed through a hole in the cap! John
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM

Delta 88

Hello Redog
It has "G" heads on it. I do have lots of loose heads if that's all your looking for. John
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:33 AM

Yeah that's all I'm looking for, but price and shipping???
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Registered

Hey John, that car would be mint here, as usual. Is that a Bigfoot standing under the pine tree just above the hood in the second photo? Probably checking out the ride, I have an old bigfoot accellerator pedal cover I could sell him.

Allan
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hey all
I'm putting this up here first before I start posting items on ebay. I recently acquired a 1971 Delta 88 that is complete but has rust under the vinyl top, holes into the trunk. Complete 4 bbl engine, nice front end, trunk lid and rear bumper have dings, the only rust I'm seeing beyond surface rust is under the vinyl top. Dark blue paint, lighter blue interior, tilt column but manual windows, locks and seat. Tags expired in 2002, I can do a compression test if someone wanted the engine. If someone wanted the whole car I'd sell it complete, but unless you were close by the shipping would probably be more than it is worth. I'm thinking a couple weeks here then I'll start marketing parts on ebay and craigslist. A couple photos attached but I have a lot more and can take pictures of anything specific you want to see. John

How much for the engine complete....was it running? I see it has G heads....my 455 has a crack somewhere so I might just scrap the whole thing (75 with J heads)...I can drive down and put it in the back of my wifes Ford Edge (Fords have to be good for something) I could also take the poor old 65 442 in the backround just to clean up your yard
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM

That is a cool car. I wanted to see one just like it a couple of weeks ago when the wife and I went to Dallas for our anniversary. Didn't get to see it though. It was the same color, and engine as that one. A bit better condition though. It just didn't run.

Good luck parting it out!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM

1971 Delta 88

442Scotty, if you help me pull it $350 from air cleaner to oil pan. I could keep the carb and air cleaner then bring the price down to $300. I've not had it running yet, but got it from a friend who tows junk cars and he said it runs good. I'd want you to hear it run and if you wanted to take a compression test you could do that before we pull it. I have other engines that are already out or if you don't have the time to pull it with me we could discuss other possibilities. I do have some project cars I'd sell but the 1965 442 would take a lot of green for me to part with

Redog, is there a specific casting your looking for? I have a set of small valve C heads that have been hot tanked and magnifluxed, those would be $125 plus shipping. I can come up with a shipping estimate. I've got B,C,E,G,Ga,J,K heads if there was a specific casting you wanted. Some castings I have large valves for, but if you rebuild them it's not hard to have the small castings cut out for large.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM

I will talk to the boss about making the trip...fair price...and if redog doesnt want the fluxed "C" heads I will buy those...Wonder what shipping would be to Calgary...UPS is obscene but DSL? Fedex probably not bad
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM

Scotty where are you located? I'm in Medford Oregon near the California border. It sounds like your in Alberta so I hope your not thinking I'm somewhere closer than I am. John
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

No I knew you were in Oregon....I dont mind driving...I get 4 day off stretches...I will check the distance..and let you know
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM

k...18 hours...guess that is out...I was thinking northern oregon...I will check shipping on the C heads...
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM

consider the "C" heads sold if redog doesnt want them...I tried for a shipping quote from UPS...showed 100.00 seems to cheap...cabn you get one from your end? DHL or Fedex?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM

Heads

Hi Scotty
I do have several sets of C heads so if Redog does want them I can get another set checked for you. I'm dismantling a 1966 Toronado right now with the large valve B heads. I'm not sure what if anything needs to be done to use B's on later engines, since the early 425 has something different in the cam/lifter angle. I'll post a question under big blocks and see what the guys on the site say. John
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442scotty
k...18 hours...guess that is out...I was thinking northern oregon...I will check shipping on the C heads...
Hey 442Scotty,
I'm just 2 1/2 hours north of you. If you ever decide to take a trip down, let me know. We could share the gas and driving. I just have to plan in advance. I would love to go down and see what John has up for grabs. And as for Oregon??? Gods country. Been there a few times, didn't want to go home.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by amh555
Hey John, that car would be mint here, as usual. Is that a Bigfoot standing under the pine tree just above the hood in the second photo? Probably checking out the ride, I have an old bigfoot accellerator pedal cover I could sell him.

Allan
Hello Allen, yes I remember those chrome and black bare foot pedals! I'd think that would be a collectors item! Kinda funny, there's a bigfoot trap in the woods just West of me an hour or so. Some guys actually built a stout wooden structure that would hold the Bigfoot once he was lured in by the smell of rotting meat. Seems like a good way to catch a bear or coyote, but they never caught a bigfoot! With my job I spend a lot of time in the woods and have seen lots if critters, but nothing that I'd mistake as a bigfoot. I know people who believe it's out there though! John
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM

Allen R
If you and Scotty were able to come down you'd have to bring a large truck and car trailer to make the trip worth while! I'd love to share the treasure but with the price of gas it's difficult just driving across the state
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM

Now theres a thought....teaming up....drivings no big deal...who cares about the gas...if we were worried about the gas we wouldnt drive oldsmobiles....stopped worrying about the gas a long time ago...If I decide to drive down I will let you know....
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

you say "small valve" do you mean the 2" on the intake side?

I'm in 18940 for a shipping quote.

I'm interseted pending on shipping
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Someone should save it. The "big Girls" are rarer than the Cutlasses!
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM

1971 Delta 88

Redog, yes I'm calling the 2.00 intake the small valve heads and the 2.07 as the big valve

Kennybill, I agree it's a shame to see these old cars parted out. But when faced with the limitations of time and money do I spend it on something like this or one of my 1960's vintage 442 project cars? That's what I struggle with when I drag home a car like this. I've parted out a few cars that someday I may look back and wish I hadn't. If someone close enough wants the whole car I'll make them a fair price and make sure it can drive onto their trailer. John
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Well the 2 inch is still bettter than the 1.875 on my 5 heads. I just wanted to know the info on them and such. the 2 inch is what I want

Can you do the heads and shipping for around $200?
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Hello again. Yes, I know what u mean. One can only "love" so many Oldsmobiles. I drag race a Cutlass and started dragging home 88/98's for the engines. Then I started falling in "love" with the ones that weren't to far gone. All my "big Girls" were dragged off hills and fields from Ohio/Pa. area. I call them my "money pits." When I go to Oldsmobile shows/races I usually have the only 88/98 racing. I hope someone saves her. Good Luck, Ken
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Haven't seen a '71 2-door in a long time. Great-looking car. Mom had a 4-door - same color! Wish I could save her, but I can't afford the the one I have! Hope somebody else can. I love demo derbys, but cringe when I see a classic like THIS out there.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

I think the Classic Olds convention should be at your place John, bigfoots and all. That Sasquatch trap would probably end up with a few members in it I bet. You have enough cars to go around so we can just set up lawn chairs and sit by those, bigfoot-barefoot gas pedals for trophies. We could even go for a cruise on your mighty ship possibly, how many does the camper sleep?
I like that car more every time I look at it, be a great highway cruiser, it is true that you never see those 2 doors.
My boss at the gas station back in '73 had a tannish color four door like that, the guy was weird. He would sit behind the station across the street and spy on us with binoculars at night when I was managing. He was there just to make sure oil was checked and windows washed, lousy company station had spy customers that rated you too. Too bad he wasn't there when three guys with guns robbed us then padlocked us all in the men's room.
The guy thought he was hiding behind that other station but you could always see that front end sticking out a little.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 24th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:49 AM

C Heads

Redog, I could do it for $225. Shipping for each head will run $55, I didn't count the rocker arms but I would guess another package with them would be $10-15. If you want to see photos send me your email address. John
Old August 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM

pm'd you..thanks
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM

Replied with a PM
John
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM

Who else scrolled up to look above the hood in the second picture to look for Bigfoot?
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM
Registered

I copied the picture and enhanced it so you don't have to scroll up, can you see bigfoot okay?

Now that I look closer I can see it was trying to tear off the hood to rip-off parts, for scrap I bet. .

Allan

Old September 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM

With scrap metal prices so high, everyones getting into the act! Our old cars just aren't safe anymore
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2blu442
With scrap metal prices so high, everyones getting into the act! Our old cars just aren't safe anymore
Ain't it the truth. With the internet and wi-fi those Sasquatch can sell to anybody too, just no self respect.

Allan
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I copied the picture and enhanced it so you don't have to scroll up, can you see bigfoot okay?

Now that I look closer I can see it was trying to tear off the hood to rip-off parts, for scrap I bet. .

Allan

Allan,
You are such a classy guy. My eyes must be getting old. Thank god for your computer skills, I just don't know how I missed it the first time. Kind of wondered why the hood was up a bit. Is that my imagination or is that Mrs. Bigfoot??? Anyway doesn't matter. Any woman with more hair than me better shave before she shows up. In this case, I'd say the "appearance" would be more like an invitation for everyone to meet at Johns for a good old fashioned game of hide and seek at the Sasquatch pit. The invite could have a BYOPC (bring your own parts car) message and everyone could have a great pick n pull.

Still love the look of that car. BTW, one thing that I remember about these big queens was the darn doors are so heavy they wear out the hinges and pins. And there's a tendency to get chatter in the door rubbers. Also, ever try to open your doors in one of the tight parking spots? Anyone else remember that?

John, I'll send you a pm about the alt and rad I'm looking for. Later this week, ok?
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan

Allan,
You are such a classy guy. My eyes must be getting old. Thank God for your computer skills, I just don't know how I missed it the first time. Kind of wondered why the hood was up a bit. Is that my imagination or is that Mrs. Bigfoot??? Anyway doesn't matter. Any woman with more hair than me better shave before she shows up. In this case, I'd say the "appearance" would be more like an invitation for everyone to meet at Johns for a good old fashioned game of hide and seek at the Sasquatch pit. The invite could have a BYOPC (bring your own parts car) message and everyone could have a great pick n pull.

Still love the look of that car. BTW, one thing that I remember about these big queens was the darn doors are so heavy they wear out the hinges and pins. And there's a tendency to get chatter in the door rubbers. Also, ever try to open your doors in one of the tight parking spots? Anyone else remember that?

John, I'll send you a pm about the alt and rad I'm looking for. Later this week, ok?
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

I try to do all I can to help.
That is a female, my eyes must be getting old too, for me not to notice that, but I'm a legs guy. What a cruel world it is anymore, In the good old days it was always just young male punkfoots stealing hubcaps.

The females are called "Bimbofoots".

If my wife sees this my name will be "footinmouthfoot", and I don't even want to say where her foot will be. (

Allan
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Do you still have parts for this car? I see the tail lights and the head lights look in pretty good conditions.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM

1971 Delta 88

Yes I still have it. If you want to see closeups of anything send me a pm with your email address. John
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM

^^2blu, did you get my email?

Quick Reply: Dismantling 1971 Delta 88 455 car