What Paint Code is Black for '72 Cutlass and How Can the Car be Titled

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM

What Paint Code is Black for '72 Cutlass and How Can the Car be Titled

What paint code should be on the trim tab on a 1972 Cutlass convertible. The current color of the car is black? The trim tab identifies paint as 36. Also, the car is currently being sold on Ebay without a title. Can you get the car title, and if so, how?

Thank you

Last edited by twilightblue28A; November 16th, 2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old November 16th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
What paint code should be on the trim tab on a 1972 Cutlass convertible. The current color of the car is black? The trim tab identifies paint as 36. Also, the car is currently being sold on Ebay without a title. Can you get the car title, and if so, how?

Thank you
Black was paint code 19 and was not a regularly available Cutlass color for 1972. 36 was Radiant Green.

Also, every state in the country has a very simple process for the registered owner to get a duplicate title. If the seller can't get one, keep walking.

Old November 17th, 2016, 05:43 AM

I agree on not buying without a title unless it is a parts car. It can be difficult to get one after purchase, depending on your state law and the state it is purchased in.
A friend built a street rod and had to do a lot of finagling and spent 500$ to get a model A title after the fact. (and even then it was questionable)
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

The process for getting a duplicate title differs from state-to-state, but in all cases it is very easy for the LEGAL OWNER OF RECORD to get one. Here in VA, you simply go into a DMV or to the DMV website, fill out a form, pay a few dollars, and the duplicate is mailed to the address on record. If the owner goes to the DMV in person and can prove ID, the duplicate is handed to them. If the seller won't do this, you have to question the validity of his "ownership".
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:53 AM

It's also easy in OK to get a duplicate title. I can't count the number of classic cars I've seen for sale without titles.
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

I understand that there are cases of abandoned cars where there is no record of the legal owner and the DMV has purged older records. That process gets a little more complicated. I certainly don't have knowledge of all 50 states, but I do know from first hand experience that both CA and VA have a process for obtaining legal title on an abandoned car. The process varies from state-to-state, but it typically involves sending registered letters to the last known address and publicly posting a notice of lien sale. The process takes about 30 days.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I understand that there are cases of abandoned cars where there is no record of the legal owner and the DMV has purged older records. That process gets a little more complicated. I certainly don't have knowledge of all 50 states, but I do know from first hand experience that both CA and VA have a process for obtaining legal title on an abandoned car. The process varies from state-to-state, but it typically involves sending registered letters to the last known address and publicly posting a notice of lien sale. The process takes about 30 days.
... and, as you noted above, is completed by the current owner, and not by the prospective buyer.

If the current owner cannot do this, then be very suspicious.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
... and, as you noted above, is completed by the current owner, and not by the prospective buyer.
Actually, that is not the case if you follow the abandoned car rules. I was not the current or registered owner but was able to get a title for a car that was left on my property (a 1968 Cutlass) when I lived in CA. The owner had fallen off the face of the earth.
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

BUT, you were in possession of the car by virtue of the fact that it had been abandoned on your property, and able to swear to that.

If you had wanted to sell the car, it would have been your responsibility to get the title, and not the buyer's, at least in the rational world.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
it would have been your responsibility to get the title, and not the buyer's, at least in the rational world.

- Eric
Which I did, but I was not the owner. In practical terms, the DMV would neither know nor care who started the lien sale process.
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Also, the car is currently being sold on Ebay without a title.
Without a title, he might not have the legal right to sell the car regardless of what he says.
Old November 17th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, once again, it would have been helpful to have a link to the specific car in the first post. If you take the trouble to find this car on ebay, you see that it's a dealer and the car is listed as "title exempt". There are a number of states that simply don't issue titles on cars this old. Doesn't mean anything, that's just the law in that state. Just be sure your state DMV recognizes that and that you have the appropriate documents from the original state to satisfy your DMV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmob...-/291942983659

The car looks reasonably honest, but the air cleaner is from a later model Olds. The engine may or may not also be from a later model car.
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:53 AM

just my 2 cents

I purchased my 71 442 last month from a guy in New York. New York does not have titles on cars made before 1973. they come with a transferable registration card. I too question this before buying. so I called the lady at the DMV here in Pa and was told to get a bill of sales to cover that part and yes, the transferable registration card is legal and a Pa title will be issued with no problems. bought it, came home with it, went to the DMV the next day and 9 days later I have my Pa title for the car. that was easy! but, like everyone else here, I do not know about the other states. call your local DMV.