painting calipers question

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:27 AM
foo

painting calipers question

So I wanted to paint my calipers should I use primer or should I just use some High temp paint over bare metal on one and different paint on the other?

I guess what im really asking is can I use reg primer and then high heat paint will that affect what happens when it heats up and the primer gets hot?
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are you Mario Andretti?

How hot do you get your brakes?

If you get your calipers to a temperature that would burn off regular paint, I would suggest that you should be driving a Porsche, not an Oldsmobile.

But, to answer your question: If heat paint is capable of resisting higher temperatures than regular paint, then applying heat paint over regular paint would kind of defeat the purpose.

I would consider reading the label on the can.

By the way, DOT3 brake fluid (recommended for these cars) boils at 400°F, which should is barely over the heart range of normal paints.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:58 AM
foo

Haha, I should made this just general brake components. Im just try to avoid any possibility of the paint coming off, im going of how warm my truck brakes get, since my olds is under going full frame off rebuild I have never driven it, last on the road in 78.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Honestly, your calipers might get to 200°, 300° if you do a lot of mountain driving or towing, but they really weren't made for the kind of use that would get them really hot.

An infrared thermometer is a great tool (and not expensive) - I'd recommend using one on your truck brakes after a brisk drive when they seem really hot, just to see. I'd bet they're not as hot as you think.

I'd be more concerned about tiny bits of leaking brake fluid ruining any pain that you do put on.

- Eric