Original Paint Matching Question

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Original Paint Matching Question

Which automotive paint company comes closest to matching original colors? Specifically code 67 'Sienna Bronze' from a 1971 Olds. I spent some time with the local PPG shop, and they report the original formulation is no longer produced (by PPG). Any thoughts who else I might try, Dupont, Sherwin Williams, 3M, BASF etc.?

Thanks

Last edited by oldsonharmont; June 24th, 2023 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 24th, 2023, 02:50 PM

Are you trying to get paint to match the original color so you can do bodywork (i.e. repair a damaged fender)? Or are you doing a concours restoration and want the OE color?
Old June 24th, 2023, 02:51 PM

They all have formulas but they are slowly being ignored, obsoleted and archived at best. BASF used to be good but not sure anymore. Spies Hecker was never great for old, American colors. I would look at DuPont or other “American” paints. One other way is to find an older shop that just might still have microfiche stashed in the attic to use as a reference for mixing a sample. Sometimes you can only get somewhere if a helpful person goes to work for you, whether at shop, jobber or manufacturer.

Though I believe you can still get lacquer, you’ll have to seek it out. The “modern” urethanes and even enamels always look better or at least different than the original paint, even if the color is really close. Lastly, search around forums for GM cars for the paint code and see if you can gather info from other folks’ experience, don’t use the “name” as marketing changed that for each division, use the code, ie 67.
Old June 24th, 2023, 05:49 PM

Tcp global can paint match in lacquer, acrylic enamel and b/c..
Old June 24th, 2023, 07:00 PM

Not a concour restoration by any means, just a daily driver repaint, and I'd like to match door jambs, trunk lid etc. Ford has a 2015 color called Bronze Fire Metallic that's the closest I've seen so far. I checked the TCP Global website and will call them next week, it appears they may be worth a shot.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; June 24th, 2023 at 07:15 PM. Reason: update info