Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

oil pan R&R in 74 Omega

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Registered car nut

oil pan R&R in 74 Omega

Can it be done w/o too much hassle 'in car'?
I've R&R the 5.0 Ford I am installing in my wifes Volvo 5 times already.
So I'm o.k. with pulling it but am tired of the same job.
Even if it would be a cake walk next to a 5.0 Volvo.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

It's always a hassel doing it with the engine in, however it can be done!
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM

My opinion is it can't be done.I've never done it but I know thing are very tight down there.I don't mean to disagree with Oldcutlass,but the omega very tight.
railguy
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:27 AM

In my experience most passenger cars I've dealt with require that you disconnect the motor mounts and jack the motor up or use a cherry picker and lift it a little bit. Buys you some room in tight engine compartments. I'll bet it can be done
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
In my experience most passenger cars I've dealt with require that you disconnect the motor mounts and jack the motor up or use a cherry picker and lift it a little bit. Buys you some room in tight engine compartments. I'll bet it can be done
Exactly! Hey I did not say it would be a cakewalk! It is a big PIA, but it can be done!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Registered car nut

The reality is, I can always try it and yank the lump if I need to.
I'll crawl under there (when I can) and decide if its worth messing with.
I do have a set of headers for a SBO that suppose to fit a T/A or Cutlass.
My guess is they'll fit but who knows?
I'll report back !
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

The CSM claims that it can be done (after doing things like rotating the crank so that the counterweights are in a certain position), but my experience has been that by the time you do everything listed in the CSM, you're only a few bellhousing bolts away from simply pulling the whole motor anyway.

The 73-74 Omegas might be the exception since the rear-steer design puts the crossmember further forward than is the case in the A-body cars. Dropping the steering linkage might help a lot.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM

On quite a few GM products, all my Chilton Manauals say to life the engine and place a 2x4 block between the motor mount amd frame mount. This should give you the room; still tight but maybe enough. Now, my Chiltons only cover UP TO 71, so take my info for what's it's worth.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM

I know that the bell or trany will only lift up an inch or so if that before it hits the floor.And a couple of those trany bolts come out a 1/16ih of a turn at a time.You know turn the wrench as far as you can than flip it over and get another 1/16th.Like I said before its tight down there.
railguy
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM

If I have to pull the motor, I'll pull the tranny with it. I don't like to mess with the tranny bolts and the converter. Just yank the whole darn thing.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
I know that the bell or trany will only lift up an inch or so if that before it hits the floor.And a couple of those trany bolts come out a 1/16ih of a turn at a time.You know turn the wrench as far as you can than flip it over and get another 1/16th.Like I said before its tight down there.
railguy
Where abouts in PA? I have family still living in the Freeland area, as well as Pottsville.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM

Where abouts in PA? I have family still living in the Freeland area, as well as Pottsville.

I live in south central Pa Not far from Carlisle I've heard of those towns but not sure of were they are.Your right about pulling the trany with the motor I was thinking the same thing.By the time you get the trany and tork converter Unbolted you could have everything out.It's nice to hear from a fellow Omega owner.
railguy
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy

I live in south central Pa Not far from Carlisle I've heard of those towns but not sure of were they are.Your right about pulling the trany with the motor I was thinking the same thing.By the time you get the trany and tork converter Unbolted you could have everything out.It's nice to hear from a fellow Omega owner.
railguy
Freeland is near Hazelton. Mom was from Freeland, Dad was from Audenried. They moved here to upstate NY after WWII.I've always pulled both items as a unit, and I've been doing it since I was 16, I'm now 61. It's just too easy!
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Dokks74
I've always pulled both items as a unit, It's just too easy!
Yep I agree, I decided when I pulled the trans to only pull the trans as I fear the snowball effect. I'll take one more look see underneath then decide.
I know its not hard to do, not sure I can count how many engines I've pulled in the past (and not so distant past). Back in HS me and a buddy were so good at pulling engines as a team we clocked it once on his 69 Corvette. While still hot from driving we pulled in his dads garage and had that sucker out in 28 minutes.

Part of my current issue is one stall I have the Omega, one my wifes V8 Volvo swap project, the center stall, current home to my Cutlass and my insulation/sheetrock project. A bit ADD ? Just maybe! LOL
Can never have too many projects going at once.