Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

A few more questions for the detail-minded

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Captain Starfire

A few more questions for the detail-minded

Hey, folks. Things seem to progress in geologic time for me, but they at least move in the right direction....As I mentioned on the "other" site (and to confirm others' posts to that effect) the 64 trunk cardboards can be had in colors other than black, simply by calling Fusick and requesting them. The Fusick rep called REM (the vendor) and REM said "no problemo." So I'm ordering my blue set today.

Now for a few quick questions for the Olds gumbo:

1. What was the pattern on the fiberboard spare tire cover on the 64 SFs? The one Fusick sells (aqua and black houndstooth) has a disclaimer that the pattern is not correct for a 64. In this pic (see below) of what I believe to be a very original '64 SF conv't trunk, it appears solid medium-to-dark gray.... or was that just for black trunks? Did a blue trunk get a blue spare tire cover?

2. Did the tire cover in '64 use one of those cone-shaped screw-on retainers (as shown in the Fusick catalog: ST618 Spare Tire Cover Retainer, Cadmium plated as original 17.50)?
I can't quite make out exactly what kind of hardware is shown; it doesn't look like the cad-plated cone retainer.

3. Did the 64 SF conv't come with "inner front fender panel a-frame seals"? Naturally, there's no trace of them now on my car. If I'm supposed to have them, did the seals originally use the green metal fasteners? (Fusick #3774 Original Style Olive Green Metal Fasteners 1961-70 All Models 1.50 ea.)
I'm guessing the repro seals from Fusick come with functional fasteners, but ya' gotta' pay extra for the original style.

Thanks to all contributors to this worthwhile project!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SF_convt_trunk.jpg (201.2 KB, 18 views)
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oldsdruid

John, look on the inner fenders and see if there are holes punched at the bottom edge. There may even be a clip or two still in them. The car is supposed to have the A-frame dust seals with the olive green push-in retaining clips. Reminder to self- I need them too.

I cannot tell you for sure on the convert tire cover plate. My coupes have never had covers and if they had, I'm sure it would have been the same felt material as the trunk carpet.

My 73 88 convert had a similar tire cover plate as the picture and it had the cone shaped retainer nut instead of wing nut. The idea was to provide a "shelf" of sorts to set luggage etc on the spare tire and the recessed cone nut kept from gouging whatever you might have setting on the tire.

My 76 Ninety Eight's tire cover is dark gray felted material, but has the round cardboard plate made into it. That may be what your car is supposed to have, but again, I've never owned a Starfire convertible so can't say for sure.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Captain Starfire

Thanks, Glenn. My '72 GS had the fiberboard spare cover w/ cone retainer. I'm hoping somebody recognizes the hardware on this picture. (The car pictured is supposedly immaculately original, and it does look it to me; but that's some weird looking hardware.)
My car has the fender holes, but no trace of whatever went in them. The inner fenders have been painted, and whoever did it tossed whatever was there -- kinda' like what they did with the spare & jack.
Eager so hear what some other '64 gurus can add to the mix....
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Captain Starfire

???? Anybody's 64 have an original spare tire cover?