Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

62 Starfire sits crooked?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM

62 Starfire sits crooked?

While I was out in the garage I noticed that my 62's body is lower on the drives side than the passenger side. So basically it is sitting crooked. Maybe this is why I am having such a hard time trying to align the hood and front fenders/doors. So...how do I fix this or what causes this? I never noticed it before but it is pretty obivious when you look at it from the rear
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM

Was the previous driver a large person?? His wife??
Don't we all sag @ 50 yrs??
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM

The sag should not be much of a factor in panel alignment. But if the car was hit at one time or another the frame may be bent. If you buy a new set of springs it may affect the stance of the car until they settle. If the springs are original I would buy a new set and see if it helps if not. A body shop with a frame machine may be the only way to fix it.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:23 AM
Administrator

You need to measure the 4 corners from frame stub to the ground while sitting on a flat surface. A weak spring in any corner not only will effect that location, but will also raise the car on the opposite corner. So for example you have a weak left front spring and it sits 1/2" lower than the right front, then the right rear would be higher than the left rear. To confirm you would jack up the left front frame 1/2" and then see if the rear levels off.

Also make sure all the heavy items in your trunk are removed with the exception of the spare mounted in its original location.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! I was thining previous accident, but I didn't see any signs of anything major like that. I was also thinking that some heavy person drove the car around for a long time lol!! I know a lot of the bushings are shot and it wouldn't surprise me if the springs were all worn out as well. When I was under the car, I didn't notice the frame being bent either. I was thinking I maybe did something while I had the car up on jack stands or it has happened over time. It is hard to say but I guess it is just something else that I need to fix. thanks for your input everyone! I greatly appreciate it! Now, I will have to do some checking.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:21 AM

I replaced my starfires front springs last year and noticed the original front springs are different lengths. Surprised I checked the parts guide and sure enough there are different part numbers for left and right. Perhaps someone has mistakingly put the short spring in the wrong side on yours? Just a thought...
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:31 AM

It is worth a look. I plan on redoing all the suspension anyway since all the bushings are shot. I am thinking of putting in HD springs, even though my car doesn't have A/C... I figured it may handle better.. I have no idea bec I haven't even driven my car on the road yet lol
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by viper771
It is worth a look. I plan on redoing all the suspension anyway since all the bushings are shot. I am thinking of putting in HD springs, even though my car doesn't have A/C... I figured it may handle better.. I have no idea bec I haven't even driven my car on the road yet lol
In that case check out thread at classicoldsmobile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29560 . If that link doesn't work then search 61 Dynamic Springs. Some great info there about aftermarket springs. You'll see I mentioned needing to add different height spacers to over come unevenness once I put in same length springs.
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's the link so you can just clik it.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ngs-found.html
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Another item I have seen affect ride height is a frozen control arm bushing. It will cause the car to sit uneven as well as affect how it goes down the road. It will tram-line on parallel grooves or pull or not go around a corner well. A broken and weak spring will give the same feel. So will a cracked frame.
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the link! I will check that out for sure. As far as the bushings, I know the bushings on the front drivers side control arms are shot (it sits crooked on the drivers side). I don't think my frame or anything is cracked at all. The car had almost zero rust on it and was a California car. I will have to check it out a bit more when the weather is warmer.

On that note, what is the best way to jack up the car? I would usually just jack the front up one side at a time and put jack stands in the usual spots, and do the same for the rear. I was thinking of maybe getting some ramps so I can look under the car easier. Instead of jacking the car up under each side of the frame, should I just jack it up with my floor jack under the front skid plate and under the rear diff? I just want to make sure I don't tweak anything. This 62 is the longest old car I have ever owned lol
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Might also want to put a 4' level on your garage floor first.
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM

True hehe. I am pretty sure it sits crooked. I actually first noticed it when it was sitting outside and I was checking the tail lights. It is pretty noticeable. I should post a picture.