General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1988 Toronado Trofeo rear Suspension Sits Lower Than The Front

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM

1988 Toronado Trofeo rear Suspension Sits Lower Than The Front

This is probably a stupid question but The rear of my 1988 Toronado Trofeo sits lower than the front suspension, is it supposed to sit like that or do i need to replace the shocks or something? The car seems to ride fine when i drive it. Just it sits lower in the back and don't know why.
Old December 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I had an 87' Toronado, and the rear was an automatic air shock load leveling system, with a little compressor and level sensor. Lot's to go wrong back there, like leaky shock bags, compresser, ext. May be just easier replacing the air shocks with off the shelf Munroe or Gabriel, and pump them up at the gas station occationally. The rear composite transverse leaf spring may be sagging as well, but the air shocks should take care of it.
Old December 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
I had an 87' Toronado, and the rear was an automatic air shock load leveling system, with a little compressor and level sensor. Lot's to go wrong back there, like leaky shock bags, compresser, ext. May be just easier replacing the air shocks with off the shelf Munroe or Gabriel, and pump them up at the gas station occationally. The rear composite transverse leaf spring may be sagging as well, but the air shocks should take care of it.
Those air shocks are expensive. GM wanted over 1100.00 EACH for the ones in my 98. Bought them aftermarket for just under 800/ set. That did take care of the ride problem. Compressor is usually not the problem, it's the line to the shock or the air bag on the shock

Originally Posted by 88ToroSteven
This is probably a stupid question but The rear of my 1988 Toronado Trofeo sits lower than the front suspension, is it supposed to sit like that or do i need to replace the shocks or something? The car seems to ride fine when i drive it. Just it sits lower in the back and don't know why.
No, it's not supposed to sit like that. You have struts and an air ride suspension? Might be time to replace them. I'd be tempted to disconnect the level ride and just install regular struts back there. The 88 Trofeo is a really nice 'small' Toro. Classy look to it. Believe it was European influenced - almost bought one a few years ago. Has too much digital instrumentation on the dash to go wrong - that was part of my decision not to buy.