various problems, '92 Olds Ninety-Eight

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM

various problems, '92 Olds Ninety-Eight

Hello everyone. I have a 1992 Olds Ninety-Eight with a couple of problems, and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve them.

The first one is I cannot get the spark plug wires off (trying to install new spark plugs was the original goal, but I may need new wires, too). Out of six, I was able to get only one off! Is there a tool needed to pull these off?

The other problem is with the air conditioning. It's an R-12 system, but I bought a kit to convert it to R134a. I took it to a mechanic and had the system evacuated, and then I installed the conversion fittings (one on the high pressure side and one on the low pressure side). When I tried to charge the system (on the low pressure side), the compressor clutch would not engage. I learned that if the pressure in the system is too low that the clutch will not engage. So I tested the compressor by hooking it up to a 12 volt power supply, and it did engage. However, I could not get the system to take much refrigerant. Next, I was told by a friend to try disconnecting the electrical wire at the accumulator and to stick a paper clip inside the wire clip and connect the two metal clips. I did that, and I still could not get the compressor to engage while trying to charge the system with the refrigerant. Does anyone have any other ideas? The fuses are okay, but could the problem be with a relay switch? I bought a new relay switch, but I don't know which of the six relays on the firewall is for the A/C. ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory