Rear window trim - what adhesive to use?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2022, 02:51 PM

Rear window trim - what adhesive to use?

The trim piece on the rear window of my 72 keeps coming loose. I used strip caulk but it’s not holding. Hoping to find out how to secure this sucker.
Old July 17th, 2022, 06:05 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

See this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...removed-12633/
Hope this helps.....
Old July 18th, 2022, 06:42 AM

As tnswt says, "see that thread." There is a specific "glass tape" that is used. I think it is 3/32" thick, off the top of my head. I have some extra left over from doing mine a few years back. There may be enough length to do at least one side/window. A little soapy water is all that is needed as a lubricant to install the trim, with the tape inside, to the edge of the glass. The water dries, and as Patton says in that other thread, it will last a long time. No need for caulk, glue, spooge, etc.
Old July 18th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Thanks guys. Ordered the glass tape this morning.
Old July 19th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Clean the glass well and then wrap the glass tape around the front edge of the glass and around on either side. Once you have the chrome piece installed you can use a razor blade, etc to trim off the excess tape that's sticking out along the edges of the chrome strip.

Check your rubber "U Jamb" moldings (held onto the quarter panel jamb with screws at the top of the jambs).....if they are repros they may catch the bottom edge of the chrome channel when you roll the window down. I've seen some that interfere/contact the chrome channel like that.
Old July 19th, 2022, 08:31 PM

Guessing there are bunch of ways to do this. The question is what will _stick_ to glass over time. Especially with the mechanical wear from up/down cycles and all kinds of pressures trying to separate the glass from the chrome trim.

When I went through this, I found a kind of rubber that swells when soaked in oil. It’s more or less the thickness of bike inner tube rubber, but the key is it swells when soaked in oil overnight. I stuck it on dry over clean (like, surgically degreased clean) glass. Then you soak it over night in 30 weight with the rubber between the glass and the chrome trim, whereupon the rubber swells and sticks to the glass from an interference fit.

It’s worked for me, but I can’t recall where I got the rubber or what its called, or what makes it special. Suggest you check with some learned (aka old) person at a glass or body shop to see if this story is correct and if you can replicate on your car.

If not, I’d suggest bike inner tubes cut to fit, super clean surfaces and the strongest adhesives you can find. Maybe even etch the glass with a bit of acid to create a surface for the glue to adhere to.

If anyone knows the name of the special rubber shim, or whether this story rings true, please opine. This is just how I remember it, I claim no authority.

Best I’ve got.
Chris
Old July 20th, 2022, 11:34 AM

When I was restoring my 66 and needed to replace the chrome trim, I went to a glass place that specialized in auto glass. They told me about using the rubber tape and 3 in 1 oil. Put oil on the rubber and massage the trim on to the glass. When the oil dries it acts like glue. That is how they did it at the glass shop.