A/c compressor rebuild

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Randy C.

A/c compressor rebuild

I need to get the compressor on my '69 4-4-2 rebuilt. It seized up, or binded up enough, and toasted the drive belt right off of the compressor pulley. I say binded up enough because the pulley now turns by hand when the clutch is engage, although there is lots of resistance. I found a place in Hemmings (Old Air Products in Fort Worth, TX) that does such rebuilds but it's the only place I see listed in Hemmings. Does anyone have other recommendations?

I want this rebuild to retain the original Frigidaire sticker on the casing that shows the model number and code number. In some rebuilds I've seen, that sticker is gone. I know Old Air Products will retain the sticker but if anyone knows of other places that can do the same thing, I'd appreciate the lead.

This darn car has been somewhat of a nightmare in chasing ghosts that pop up. Back-up lights that didn't work, a bad brake switch that adversely affected the factory cruise control, the transducer on the cruise control, the wiring to the transducer, getting the vacuum-operated remote trunk opener to work...all issues finally resolved. And now this!

Randy C.

Old July 11th, 2021, 08:52 AM

There's only a handful of places that do A6 rebuilds, especially for keeping a car correct.

The only one that I've heard much about is Original Air (not Old Air - different companies, both with TX locations)
https://www.originalair.com/restoration-gm-compressors

Old July 11th, 2021, 09:18 AM

I used AAPAK in Phoenix many years ago for AC work. I bought a reman compressor for the Cutlass from them, so maybe call or e-mail and see what they can do.

https://aapak.com
Old July 11th, 2021, 10:00 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Vintage Auto Air

https://www.vintageair.com/

Classic Auto Air

https://www.classicautoair.com/
Old July 11th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Bfg

Maybe put some type of protective covering over the label so it doesn’t get damaged in the rebuild
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Randy C.

Checked with Original Air and Vintage Auto Air. Neither do rebuilds. Checked with AAPAK and it might be interesting - I have to look deeper into it and will talk with one of their techs hopefully tomorrow. They said they might be able to put new guts in the original casing but I have to check to see how it looks. It would be nice to have all new insides. If everything looks the same from the outside I might move forward with this idea. I really don't want to change hoses and make other adjustments for this to work - I just want everything under the hood to look as original on the outside and work like it is supposed to on the inside.

I've tried an email and two phone calls to Old Air Products with no return call or email as of yet. Either they are very busy, undermanned, or just not interested. We'll see what happens.

Randy C.
Old July 14th, 2021, 06:54 AM

Aapak is a good company. I have been in their shop plenty of the years retro fitting a/c stuff.
Old July 14th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Randy C.

Talked with AAPAK today and the idea of fitting new guts in an old compressor casing didn't sit too well with the person I had on the line. On the good side, though, I was able to finally get in touch with Old Air Products and they are ready to receive my compressor. The man on the phone said it will be 3-4 months before I get it back but that's OK - the '69 still runs and I'll put it in car shows with the hood down. I guess everyone is now spending their stimulus checks on getting their compressors rebuilt!

Randy C.