81 A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM

81 A/C compressor

I'm getting an unpleasant noise from that side of the engine .. (81 Custom cruiser w/307). The A/C hasn't worked in all the time I've owned it ... wiring actually unplugged. Looks like leak detection dye in several places on it. I've just been letting it ride as an idler pulley on that side to offset the alternator tension on the other side. Now I think there's a bearing going south. Anyone know if this is easily rebuildable? A/C isn't exactly a huge priority for me and spending big bucks to get a Tempmatic back in running order is a long way down my work list. Boneyards in this area have nada of this era, or size. Any help with alternate options (other makes and models, A/c delete) are welcome. If anyone happens to have a compressor to spare I may be in the market.
Thanks
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Professur
I'm getting an unpleasant noise from that side of the engine .. (81 Custom cruiser w/307). The A/C hasn't worked in all the time I've owned it ... wiring actually unplugged. Looks like leak detection dye in several places on it. I've just been letting it ride as an idler pulley on that side to offset the alternator tension on the other side. Now I think there's a bearing going south. Anyone know if this is easily rebuildable? A/C isn't exactly a huge priority for me and spending big bucks to get a Tempmatic back in running order is a long way down my work list. Boneyards in this area have nada of this era, or size. Any help with alternate options (other makes and models, A/c delete) are welcome. If anyone happens to have a compressor to spare I may be in the market.
Thanks
It's actually the bearing in the compressor clutch that's going bad. The compressor itself isn't turning with the wiring unplugged. Pretty much any R4 compressor will bolt in place, but some have a serpentine pulley and some have a v-belt pulley. You can replace the clutch by itself, but it takes some specialized tools.
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM

That's almost what I was hoping to hear. Didn't know if it clutched the pulley to the shaft, or the shaft to the compressor. The compressor isn't olds specific for rotation? Sweet. What sort of specialized tools, if you know?

Looked up a clutch removal video and saw the tools. Found them on Amazon for $25. Now to track down a new bearing. Thanks

Last edited by Professur; January 19th, 2015 at 10:52 AM.