1972 Cutlass Console/Shifter

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2022, 07:01 AM

1972 Cutlass Console/Shifter

I want to place the carpeting and need to remove the console and first the walnut shifter ****. Is the **** simply a screw off **** or is there a trick to its removal? Additionally, the console lid hinge broke off from the console due to cracked and dry rotted plastic. Short of a new console, does anyone have any tips for repair?
Old August 12th, 2022, 09:35 AM

The **** IS a screw on/off ****. If you are trying to save the chrome plastic/woodgrain insert you'll need to remove a small roll pin from the chrome shifter "T"/pull handle at the top of the chrome shifter assembly. If not saving the chrome plastic/woodgrain insert then no need to remove the "T"/pull handle....but you'll need to have it removed anyway when installing a new woodgrain console insert.

I think H&H Classic Auto makes a console door/hinge repair kit. I've made a couple myself but don't have any spares.

http://www.hhclassicauto.com/
Old November 28th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Barry

I saw your reply to 'Skinny72' regarding console shifter ****. I'm looking to get the chromed plastic floor console shifter trim re-chromed (72 Cutlass S automatic). I checked the site to which you referred, H&H Classic Auto, and I see that they sell a part #HH54k which is the entire insert with the chromed plastic and wood grain insert for 72 automatic.

Are you aware of any sources to re-chrome my existing plastic? Or am I better off just buying the entire new piece from H&H, in your opinion?

We messaged once before when you directed me to Inline Tube for a throttle cable hookup kit. I purchased that, and it worked well. Thanks again for your help!

Barry Griffin
Old November 28th, 2022, 05:21 PM

There are a few places that will re-"chrome" your console insert. The process is called vacuum metallizing.

One place is Vacuum Orna-Metal.

There may be others out there that offer this service but many have closed shop over the past few years (like the excellent Chrome Tech USA place). One of the speedo/tach/etc restoration places (Redline? Instrument Specialties?) probably offers the service as well but they may just be farming out the vacuum metallizing work to a place like Vacuum Orna-Metal (don't know for sure).

BE AWARE - you'll probably pay more to have yours redone compared to buying one of the reproduction pieces and yours may have minor "defects" in the plastic that will still be there under the new "chrome".

Finally, the turnaround time my be very long at these places.