Non-Oldsmobile Classified Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Selling '03 Mercury Marauder

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Selling '03 Mercury Marauder

I'm selling simply because I have too many toys and my wife and I need something we are more comfortable driving in any weather (she’s used to FWD and AWD). Car will be traded-in within 2 weeks if not sold.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A, #3608. Black with charcoal leather. 79k miles on car but only about 15k miles on remanufactured Marauder long block (installed April '11 @ 64,500 miles). Magnaflow mufflers, K&N FIPK, Steeda Underdrive pulleys, intake spacer, high-flow water pump. Car comes with SCT Xcal3 tuner from Alternative Performance (Lidio tune). Trans is fine.

Tires are good; rear have about 15k miles on them and fronts only about 5k miles (BFG's, stock sizes). Recent repairs (within last 15 months):

- fixed "wacky wipers" by installing new wiper motor and installed updated Ford wiper stalk
- fixed HVAC by having new blend door box and actuator installed by Ford (also upgraded O-rings in EATC).
- fixed "soft axles". New rear axles and seals

Paint is in pretty good shape. Shines-up nice but has some chips here and there with a little clearcoat peel on the hood. Turtle Wax Black Box kit, unopened, comes with car. Previous owner drove through a little gray paint on road that I never got around to removing. Not bad at all, but on a clean, black car, you notice it on the rocker panel. Rims are OK but could be redone as clearcoat is coming up in a few spots. Again, not bad but up close it doesn't look too good. There is a small dent on the rear passenger door, maybe size of a half-dollar. Interior is in nice shape. Previous owner had small dog that chewed on rear seatbelt latches. They work fine but don't look so great. 6 CD changer in trunk. Full size spare never used.

Car could use alignment, pulls left a little and steering wheel is not straight. Also, BCM (Blower Control Module) has been acting up. I was able to get it running and I have a new 1 to be installed (it will come with car). Cruise control and adjustable pedal don't work. Driver’s door will unlock with remote and button but does not lock (must push it down manually).

Price dropped!!....now asking $9,000. Car is in central NJ. I'm confident it could be driven home pretty much anywhere. PM or email with questions (my72olds@aol.com).

Link to walk around:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
143.jpg (74.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
146.jpg (84.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by oldsman72; January 20th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

GLWS.

I see you're over a MMnet

Still wish I had my 04 DTR ..... loved it dearly.

At least I have the peace of mind that it's being well cared for (went to a MMnet member).
Old December 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I put my brother on to one of these a few years ago when he wanted a full size sedan with some fun to it. He has loved the car and refuses to get rid of it. Neat cars.
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
GLWS.

I see you're over a MMnet

Still wish I had my 04 DTR ..... loved it dearly.

At least I have the peace of mind that it's being well cared for (went to a MMnet member).

It's a good group of people over there at mercurymarauder.net. I've been to many of their functions and it's always a nice time. I still expect to attend some of their gatherings even when I'm Marauder-less. But I'd also like to see if I can get something brewing around here once my 442 is officially on the road, hopefully next year.

I'd really like my MM to go to a member or some other Panther-platform enthusiast. It's an awesome car....not as awesome if my wife needs to drive it with snow in the forecast. I've had a blast with it!
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I put my brother on to one of these a few years ago when he wanted a full size sedan with some fun to it. He has loved the car and refuses to get rid of it. Neat cars.

If he's not a member yet, he should check-out mercurymarauder.net. Like this site with Oldsmobiles, those folks know all there is to know about that car. Extremely helpful/knowledgeable people always willing to help.
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

He is not a gearhead like I am. He just loves and appreciates the car. There have been several times he said he was going to get rid of it and he always changes his mind.
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
He is not a gearhead like I am. He just loves and appreciates the car. There have been several times he said he was going to get rid of it and he always changes his mind.

Sounds like me. I've been "selling" my Marauder since July '12
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Bumping it up....
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks pretty nice. What happened to the original engine that it gave up with 64k on it?
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Looks pretty nice. What happened to the original engine that it gave up with 64k on it?

Would you believe Ford put a gauge in a car that was not connected?!? The very-cool-looking, console-mounted, Autometer oil pressure gauges in '03-'04 Marauders are not real. They are for show. They are not reading the engine's oil pressure, unless the owner converted the gauge afterwards using a kit available from Autometer to make it functional, which neither I nor any previous owner did. This was news to me, after it was too late, of course.

Oh, and according to Ford, it's not unusual for a Mod motor to "use" a quart of oil per month(!!). Yes, it's acceptable for your engine to consume a quart of Mobil 1 full synthetic oil monthly. I have never run any of my cars low on oil before. After hearing the noise that motor was making at 4qts low (yea, I know!), I will be sure to never let THAT happen again. Engine runs and sounds awesome now though.
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Oldsdruid

Ford maintenance schedules said for years that 1000 miles/ quart of oil was not considered excessive, and at 82k my 02 Grand Marquis is the only Ford product I've ever owned that did not use any oil to speak of. It gets Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I had heard that Marauder gauge story. Makes me glad my Big M has instrument cluster analog gauges. But I sure do love big fast cars.
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Ford maintenance schedules said for years that 1000 miles/ quart of oil was not considered excessive, and at 82k my 02 Grand Marquis is the only Ford product I've ever owned that did not use any oil to speak of. It gets Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I had heard that Marauder gauge story. Makes me glad my Big M has instrument cluster analog gauges. But I sure do love big fast cars.
I worked for a Chrysler /Plymouth dealership from '70-'86, and it was considered normal oil consumption of up to 1 quart in 500 miles; it was not until the late '70's/early '80's that engine tolerances and materials were better, as well as engine oils, and oil consumption decreased. Engines almost ALWAYS used oil back then! Remember how they used to spew blue smoke from the exhaust....and you don't see that today!

I think modern car owners are disillusioned by new cars, thinking that checking the oil is NO LONGER NECESSARY!! Couple that with the fact that virtually NO service stations have an attendant to check your oil at every gas fillup....

It was always a standing joke back then....go to a gas station, and tell the attendant to "fill it up with oil.........and check the gas"

Last edited by R-body_mopar; December 30th, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM

R-body.....I'll admit, that's me. I became used to driving much newer vehicles that did not go through oil, so I stopped checking. Couple that with a car that had a fake oil pressure gauge (how Mercury/Ford legally got away with that, I still don't understand!) and you end up with what sounds like marbles in a coffee can. New motor runs great and sounds cool!
Old January 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM

Bumping it up.
I'm narrowing down my next vehicle so trade-in is coming soon.
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:41 AM

Good luck selling your Mercury. I've always thought those were cool cars.
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:13 AM
"me somebody" site member

The bit about a quart of oil every 500-1K miles being "acceptable" is automaker B.S., and frankly why so many people will never buy an American car again. I'm probably on the wrong site for expressing that particular opinion, but oil use, piston slap, and intermediate steering shaft issues on my last couple newer GM products cured me of my former love for the brand.

That said, always thought the MMs were sharp looking cars, recall seeing my first at the NYC Auto Show at the Javitz Convention center in 2003 or so and pining for one.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; January 4th, 2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM
72 Olds CS

I go 6k miles between oil changes on my 10yo 136k mile ford truck and it's maybe a1/4 to 1/2 qt down after 6k miles.

My old mustang would use maybe 1/2 qt every 1 to1.5 k miles, sold it at180k w no engine problems

I drive not baby the truck and it sees redline just about every day, same way I drove the mustang, I didn't/ don't have a problem w either. The mustang was more performance oriented so the oil usage is a concession I was willing to make.
1 qt 500 miles is to much IMHO

I tend to lean towards American cars ( ok fords almost exclusively) although my olds is really my first GM
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a 99 Expedition that had 168,000 miles on it when it was totaled in July. I never put anything but Mobil 1 in it and it never used a drop of oil. No leaks and no smoke. I changed it every 5,000 miles. I think that speaks well for the vehicle and for Mobil 1. I have always believed oil changes are cheap insurance.
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:52 PM

My Marauder is an awesome car, no doubt. It has surprising power, not overwhelming. Oh, and the fact that it looks like a police car is an added perk. People scramble to get out of my way pretty much wherever I go. It's a hoot!

The oil consumption issue is annoying but, from what I understand, not Ford-specific. Even with the new long-block (new valves/seals, pistons/rings, etc...), I still see usage that I don't recall seeing in my old, iron-block cars (Mopar & GM). I just check as often as I can think of it and I keep a case of Mobil 1 in the trunk.
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Figured I should add VIN in case someone wants to run a check...

2MEHM75V93X630768
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Going once.....

Returned tune to stock today (blah!). Sizing-up some potential trades. Price lowered in OP.