Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

harley for classic? what to do!?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM

harley for classic? what to do!?

Okay guys, ive come across a bit of a deal and wanted some trusted opinions from you guys.. I recnetly posted my 2000 harley 883 on craigs list, its a pretty cool bike with a old school bobber style. And it RUNS SOLID cant get any better with a 883 When i got the bike it was stock and ugly as heck, I got about 4500 into it. I was more or less posting it to see what I COULD get for it. After hundreds of low ball offers this guy contacts me about a trade.

Not being a fan of "Trades" I was skeptical and still am, but cant help but think this might be my flip to a bigger bike and ofcorse FINISH MY CUTLASS!!

The cars a 1951 chevy coupe, according to the owner its has a rebuilt 235 w/ dual carbs, fenton headers and cliford cam 700r4 4 speed over drive and a 57 belair rear end. Claims he owns a speed shop and they have a few cars to manny sitting around, likes my bike and seems pretty intrested. I talked to him for about 15 mins and he sounded like a normal person. (rare on craigs list)
1_IMG959483_zpsef1779eb.jpg
IMG959691_zps94424ee1.jpg
IMG959230_zpsf4b0b788.jpg
IMG957364_zps9a0a6e9a.jpg

And this is my harley,
250330_286978594736116_518555677_n_zpsef601fd6.jpg
284424_286978558069453_2005846741_n_zps55a0c7dd.jpg

assumeing the car looks good under the hood and runs what do you think? im almost skeptical theres something wrong with it, why wouldnt he just sell it? my bikes cool but i think he could do better to tell the truth

any input will help!
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM

trade

Something must be wrong. I agree he could do better. That is an ugly bike and the handle bars are the worst. I would make the trade in a heart beat. If you get the car and it runs you would probably fall in love and never sell it. If you don't make the trade, I would trade mine if the car would make it to Pa. I would not trade my bike for yours and mine is one old ugly bike but it runs great. 1982 FXWG shovelhead 1340 commemorative edition. Seriously now get rid of the bike a 2000 883 isn't worth much. If ya don't get the car get a big bike. You will love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mc 002.jpg (153.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
mc 001.jpg (144.0 KB, 40 views)
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

Nothing good ever comes of a trade on Craigslist. Okay, usually nothing good comes from someone wanting to trade on craigslist. Do an involved search on the internet and see if you can find other pictures of that car being sold by someone else.

If it really is his car then there's a reason he can't sell it. If he has too much sitting around the shop why would he want to get rid of one just to replace it with something else. Doesn't matter that the bike is smaller, it still costs money to own and operate.
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Ok, the car is missing the front and rear bumpers. Hmmmm... What else is wrong with it?

With that said, take the car. If it rains, you're a$$ is covered!
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

I'd go look at it!
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Wink

All of these guys are right. Take a look and a drive in it. If it needs more money put into it - Pass. Sell the bike. Remember you need the cash for the Olds. Besides bikes are dangerous. I totaled 2 of them and it isn't any fun. Well, it is fun, but only for a moment while it is happening. The aftermath and rehab are a bit hard to deal with.
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
i'd go look at it!

x2 !
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
Something must be wrong. I agree he could do better. That is an ugly bike and the handle bars are the worst. I would make the trade in a heart beat. If you get the car and it runs you would probably fall in love and never sell it. If you don't make the trade, I would trade mine if the car would make it to Pa. I would not trade my bike for yours and mine is one old ugly bike but it runs great. 1982 FXWG shovelhead 1340 commemorative edition. Seriously now get rid of the bike a 2000 883 isn't worth much. If ya don't get the car get a big bike. You will love it.
Wow thanks your a real nice guy. Im 23 years old and this is my first harley and im dam proud of it. im sorry i cant afford a cool shovelhead 1340 asz hole edition.
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Hes a younger dude, said he has to manny cars and traded two old motors and a chevy shell for it.. Not enough time or money to have all of them. But said he dose love the car, and would keep it if he had the room. Mainly told him to cut str8 with me so i asked whats the catch, he laughed and said he just diggs the style that my bike is pulling.. I live in so cal and that whole rat rod bobber thing is really popular at the moment. He sent me some pictures of his other cars and one of them was a really cool rat rod which explains why he would like my bike. At the end of the day i understand its just a 883 and i never said it was worth much but it has a whole new top end rebuilt carb and its dialed and runs like a champ "big boy bike"? Maybe not. But its a great bar hopper and cruiser and has never left me on the side of the road. Thanks for your input

I will keep you all posted on what happens.

And yes the car is missing front and rear bumpers as well as some cracking starting to happen on the roof paint... But if it runs like he claims im all in!

Last edited by 805cut; October 18th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:25 AM

Ouch! I was just looking for you to make the best $$$$ decision. 1/2 serious and 1/2 just pulling your chain. If you look at the pics you can see your bike is a lot better looking than mine. I still think the handlebars gotta go. If you get the car it would probably be easier to sell and get some more $$ for it and that was your stated goal. You wanted $$$ for the olds or a bigger bike. Lighten up a bit. I did have a wink symbol on my post to let you know I was teasing. Anyway good luck and best wishes for whatever decision you make.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Ouch! I was just looking for you to make the best $$$$ decision. 1/2 serious and 1/2 just pulling your chain. If you look at the pics you can see your bike is a lot better looking than mine. I still think the handlebars gotta go. If you get the car it would probably be easier to sell and get some more $$ for it and that was your stated goal. You wanted $$$ for the olds or a bigger bike. Lighten up a bit. I did have a wink symbol on my post to let you know I was teasing. Anyway good luck and best wishes for whatever decision you make.
Yeah its all good man, sorry. Thank you
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM
MOTORHEAD

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...r-Sedan/Values

Trade him!
I would be sorely tempted to keep that chivvy if it ended up in my hands. IT just needs some bumpers and an Olds engine!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:57 PM

Well, what was the outcome? Did you get the chevy?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM

Sorry totaly forgot a out this thread, i talked to the guy and he had said he was going to show up 2 times and flaked 2 times... Who knows... Craigs list !

Either way im glad i still have my bike.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:49 PM

Lol. You really don't have any room to be ripping on someone's bike like that. Posting pics of your bike severely weakened your argument.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:40 AM

Keep the bike.......chicks dig bikes, not old fart cars.

The car looks like someone in their 70's should own it.

Originally Posted by 805cut
Wow thanks your a real nice guy. Im 23 years old and this is my first harley and im dam proud of it. im sorry i cant afford a cool shovelhead 1340 asz hole edition.
Honestly, to own a Harley @ 23 years old is cool, regardless of what it is.
Even though it's just an 883 it's still cool looking......but I hate ape hangers myself.
I prefer drag bars.

I own a 2005 FXDWGI Dyna Wide Glide, but like I said......23 with a Harley is cool.
So my honest opinion is the Chevy looks like an old fart car, and you're too young for it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 23rd, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by VinMichael
Lol. You really don't have any room to be ripping on someone's bike like that. Posting pics of your bike severely weakened your argument.
I was just kidding with him. That was the reason to post the pics of the bike. I had my first bike at age 13. My first harley (56 pan head) at 18, and have had motorcycles ever since so I know how he feels about his bike.

I am now over 60 and 70 is looking a lot closer than 23. The strange thing is in my mind I feel a lot more like 23 than 60.

I'd like to know how the olds is comming along. Any Progress?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:50 AM

I'd go to to him, as it seems you're going to come out ahead!
Post the car on C/L for $7500 OBO or Trade, and see what pops up - you never know!
After watching 'Barter Wars' the other day, and seeing a guy take a laptop to a speedboat without any cash - you could end up with anything!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I'd go to to him, as it seems you're going to come out ahead!
Post the car on C/L for $7500 OBO or Trade, and see what pops up - you never know!
After watching 'Barter Wars' the other day, and seeing a guy take a laptop to a speedboat without any cash - you could end up with anything!
Rickman....I don't know how to say this, but....well ok the thing is....those shows are rigged yes that's right fake, oh and BTW so is WWE WWF wrestling
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Rickman....I don't know how to say this, but....well ok the thing is....those shows are rigged yes that's right fake, oh and BTW so is WWE WWF wrestling
Noooooooooooo, if it's on tv - it must be true.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:15 AM

I was just kidding with him. That was the reason to post the pics of the bike. I had my first bike at age 13. My first harley (56 pan head) at 18, and have had motorcycles ever since so I know how he feels about his bike.

I am now over 60 and 70 is looking a lot closer than 23. The strange thing is in my mind I feel a lot more like 23 than 60.

I'd like to know how the olds is comming along. Any Progress?
With school and everything shes still sitting, ofcorse little things being done while shes down.. But that motor still needs to be rebuilt. I know. I know. Seriously lagging it, moneys tight right now. But fear not, this car will be back on the road. Id never get rid of it. Justlike the bike, i love that car.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
car guy

Some of you guys crack me up. First of all its an old thread and you keep giving the advise to swap or not. Second there is a lot of swapping going on these days especially at the under 10k range stuff. Not many people have cash but still have stuff. There is nothing wrong with a swap two people are happy with. Third as for old fart car. I know more 20 somethings that are in to a car like that than a 60 year old.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
delete

I was just kidding with him.
To make that clear you have to throw in an emoticon.
I thought you were serious.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by droptopron
To make that clear you have to throw in an emoticon.
I thought you were serious.
Yeah, so did he. I am pretty sure I had a wink in there somewhere. I think it was at the top of my 2nd post. We talked, I gave some fatherly advise and he gave me a spanking and all is well. In his original post he was looking for a way to get the olds done. He is young and ambitious so I think he will end up having both the olds and the bike in the long run. But I still don't like the handlebars.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Third as for old fart car. I know more 20 somethings that are in to a car like that than a 60 year old.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 24th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:07 AM

Yeah, so did he. I am pretty sure I had a wink in there somewhere. I think it was at the top of my 2nd post. We talked, I gave some fatherly advise and he gave me a spanking and all is well. In his original post he was looking for a way to get the olds done. He is young and ambitious so I think he will end up having both the olds and the bike in the long run. But I still don't like the handlebars.
Haha all is good stellar. Perhaps ill agree with you when i have some grey hair!? Haha My bars are 16 inches, which is huge and on a sportster at that. But there narrow, exact width of the front forks. Compared to the huge WIDE chrome apes you see KIDS put on sportsters with no thought to how they look fit or flow with the bike. Mainly cause there cheap. I think mine atleast fit the style of my bike with more of a vintage look. And lets not forget that the bikes supposed to be a bit of a frankenstien. Im tall and I get that bike MOVING and have no issue swinging right on through traffic like a mad man. (i had one of them fandangled crotch rockets prior to the harley, anythings better then that!)

Sadly the olds is still sitting shooting for it to be done by summer.. Been letting the cash flow back up a bit so i can just do it all at once. Well you know what i mean.

All in time, im not giving up just saving up so i can do things RIGHT

Last edited by 805cut; January 24th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.