Source for exhaust hanger material?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Source for exhaust hanger material?

I am trying to find a source for the rubber-type material, that sort of looking like rubber from a tire, to rebuild the exhaust hangers I got for my 64 Ninety Eight. The metal on them is in good shape, just the insulators need help.

any thoughts?

I may actually get to work on my car this year.
Adam
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Find a real auto parts store with a paper Walker catalog. The catalog has all kinds of stuff that isn't "in the computer". I got some flat rubber hangers for truck exhaust and used that material.
Old March 9th, 2015, 04:55 PM

I contacted Waldon's exhaust and they sell the reinforced rubber, which is similar to conveyor belt material, which is what they use for their reproduction hangers. They sell a 2"x12" piece for $10. I ordered 2. I will let you know what the results are. I got a set of factory hangers from a member on here, but as you could imagine, the rubber has seen better days. I'll try to remember to take pics.
Adam
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Or you can go to an industrial bearing/belting supply house and buy some drops.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:25 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
I am trying to find a source for the rubber-type material, that sort of looking like rubber from a tire, to rebuild the exhaust hangers I got for my 64 Ninety Eight. The metal on them is in good shape, just the insulators need help.

any thoughts?

I may actually get to work on my car this year.
Adam
I once used the sidewall of an old truck tire that could no longer be used as a tire. You can make a piece with a drill, a saber saw, and a bench grinder. It had lots of cord and is still in service after MANY years. Old conveyor belts can also be used.
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:59 PM

I too have used conveyor belting as the rubber. Worked well, looked ok for my needs.

Be aware of Waldrons Exhaust, hope you don't need to get anything else from them ....like an exhaust system.

Liers, thieves and smart ***** to top it off.
I have a thread on these gooses.
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember a few years ago I needed some of this type material for something. I bought a pair of mud flaps (the kind with Back Off on them) and cut what I needed out of one of them. Since I am bad about not throwing stuff away, I probably still have the other one somewhere.
Old March 21st, 2015, 02:48 AM

I got the two strips I ordered from Waldon's exhaust. I did see all the negative posts about the company, but since I was just ordering the rubber strips, I felt ok about taking the chance. The one thing that worried me about the company was that they couldn't process my order until the office manager came back. That delayed my order for a week. One would think that more than one person can process an order and payment. But that was the worst of my experience.

I am excited though, I've had the exhaust since last spring from Classic Exhaust, on a recommendation from someone here. I got the factory hangers from a forum member, clamps from ebay and a Magnaflow muffler from Amazon. The exhaust system I bought was complete, but I wanted a better sound, so I found a Magnaflow muffler that was the same dimensions as the one in the kit. The kit also came with generic hangers and clamps, but I wanted it to look a little bit better. Classic Exhaust also sent me a new tailpipe section, changing the diameter from 2" to 2 1/4", which is what the size is all the way through now. All I need now is some bolts to connect the exhaust to the manifolds, and I think I'm ready for the install.