The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Welcome to the new members

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Builder of the strange

New Member Here - from Texas

I've been meaning to make a post here to introduce myself, but have been busy gearing up for "car show season".

A little about myself. I'm a 41 year old male living in North Texas, halfway between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls. I'm a "retired" custom car builder due to medical reason and have been placed on disability. I do find time to tinker with my own personal projects now, so there are some advantages to being placed on disability. I've owned several Oldsmobiles in the past (first one was a 1977 Custom Cruiser with a 403 V8) and currently have two project Olds in the stable now. The first is a 1972 Vista Cruiser and the 2nd is a 1979 B&B Oldsmobile Landau Endloader. The 1979 started out originally as a Custom Cruiser that was stretched and modified into a funeral coach by a company located in Dallas. I also own 4 other hearses and one 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 factory 9-passenger limosuine in addition to some other non-Oldsmobile cars and trucks. Last count was 19 projects facing me!

I'm also part of several hearse and hot rod clubs in Texas and putting together a cruise this fall starting in Joplin, MO and ending at the National Route 66 Museum in Elk City, OK. I'm not sure what all I can say here about it, so will just list the link to the website if you'd like to know more. http://route66hearsecruise.bravehost.com/index.html

I'm in the process of setting up a couple of Photobucket pages of both my Oldsmobiles as well as my other cars/trucks in the stable and once posted online, will be more than happy to share with everyone here.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of this community.
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Frank. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Oldsguy! I just found this web-site yesterday (June 15). I'm restoring a '68 cutlass convertible, and will be asking for advise over the next few months. Its nice to be able to communicate with other oldsmobile lovers....Cutlassjack.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Hey guys! I have been on here for a while, but I have'nt formerly introduced myself- I'm Ronnie from Clayton, NC. And, as of two months ago, a proud owner of a 1970 Rallye 350 (see pics under Cutlass page) It is in the process of restoration, and may take some time- but will be flawless when completed. I have been in the footwear business with family for 25 years, and am married with a 14 year old son. This is a neat place. Thanks for having me.
Old July 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM

hi my name is kris,im should be getting a 69 cutlass ''s'' (mild project) in the next few days. i was wonderig if there were any other people on this site from ct. if all goes well tomarrow i will be on here alot looking for advice and parts.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Newbie 69 cutlass convertible

Hi guys. New to this group, I just found a one owner 69 Cutlass S convertible. I'm sure as I get more into this project, I will be looking for some advice, and from what I've seen, this group is a treasurehouse of knowledge. For starters, other than Year One, where are good places to find replacement parts? And can you buy replacement dashes and steering wheels, or do you have to find originals in junk yards?

Looking forward to enjoying my Olds!
Ken Lamm
Elizabeth City, NC
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Hi guys, been postin but didn't see this one! I just bought my first musclecar, a 68 Olds 442 in my new home, Las Vegas NV. He's in rough shape but I see potential. Gonna be needin alot of help from you guys and since I'm new, please have mercy on my dumb questions, haha!
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM

I am a new member. I live in Auburn New Hampshire. I restore Thunderbirds for a living but I love Oldsmobiles and own two of them. I have owned an all original 1960 Oldsmobile "98" convertible that has never been restored right down to the paint and chrome, for the past 14 years. The car is show quality and very nice. I also just acquired a '65 Olds Starfire coupe that I will restore soon. I have never seen another 60 Olds "98" convertible at a show... and I have been to shows all over New England and Canada. I'm always wondering if someone else out there owns one!
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Past Administrator

Hey guys welcome to our site! Ronnie, teach that son the love of automobiles, it is something he will cherish for a long time. Kris, hope you are enjoying your new ride by now, sorry about the delay in this response, don't know how I missed all you guys. Jolly Green, I think the tail light arrangement on the '68 Cutlass is just about the best there is, that horizontal treatment just fits with the bumper line perfect. Dennis, an insurance agent I used in Wisconsin owned two T-birds, I think '58 and '62, they were both in very good condition and he showed them all the time. I bet that '65 Starfire is going to be one cruiser when you are done! Good luck with it.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Vieira
........ I restore Thunderbirds for a living ........ ........ an all original 1960 Oldsmobile "98" convertible that has never been restored ........
An "original" car, is one that "has not been restored". A "restored" car, cannot be called "original".

At the least, your use of both terms, in that context, is redundant. In the bigger picture, it is reinforcing the "internet myth" that "restored to original" is a valid term.

Anyone who does restorations for a living, should know the difference, and word their posts accordingly.

Norm
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Thank you for the welcome, Oldsguy! I look forward to the correspondence and fellowship this site has to offer. My cars include a '53 deluxe 88 2dr, '55 98 4dr, and the flagship '56 super 88 convertible, as well as a few other breeds. be talkin' to ya! Jeffrey in Mississippi.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM

Hi all! I am new to this site, but not to Oldsmobiles. I currently own a 1969 Hurst Olds (under restoration). This car has been in my family since my Dad bought it for my Mother on her birthday in 1970. She only had 12,000 miles on her. When I turned 16, I received her as a birthday present. She was my daily driver until 1990 when I got sideswiped. I did all of the body work and paint on her and only have the interior and engine to finish her off. Unfortunaltely she has been sitting quietly, waiting for me to finish her for ten years. She is the next project to get finished after we finish my husbands car (1959 Plymouth Sport Fury conv). I have a few extra parts for 69, and afew parts for 68 cutlass and 59 dynamic 88 (prior cars).
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hello to all you "new" Olds guys (and gal)! We're mostly friendly here and won't bite. If you have any qustions or problems or solutions, post away!

C.J.

Last edited by texasred; September 22nd, 2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM

WORD to your mothers!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Oldsmobile. This site is a great place to find info.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Past Administrator

Lisa, welcome to our site. It is good that both of you have an interest in cars and can share. That gives your marriage one leg up as having a mutual interest/hobby helps, not a neccesity but a nice to have item. Good luck on the '69!
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Michigan frostbyte

Glad to be a new member

Looks like a great site, I just finished my 442 clone and still have a few items to finish so I thought checking with other Olds enthusiasts would be a great place to start. I am looking forward to talking with everyone
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. How much time and energy in the car? Pictures are always welcome.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM

newbie here

Just got a 66 convertible and love these forums...they are always a help. Don't know what to do with the car yet and thus my new membership here. A few pics for your enjoyment, if I can make it work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66 Cutlass conv 006.jpg (84.7 KB, 14 views)
66 Cutlass conv 015.jpg (85.9 KB, 14 views)
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Past Administrator

I would say drive it! Nice looking car, Welcome to our site.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
1966 Cutlass Convertable

to the newbie

Originally Posted by olds_phil
Just got a 66 convertible and love these forums...they are always a help. Don't know what to do with the car yet and thus my new membership here. A few pics for your enjoyment, if I can make it work.
Phil,
You should sell the car and you should sell the car to me.

Thanks,
Brad
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM
'58 98 Olds Convertible

Hello out there in "Olds" land !! Was extremely nice to get a personal welcome from you, Dan. I own a 1958 98 convertible. Original paint was Desert Dawn, covered up with a very poor job of Rose Mist (Needs a new paint job). It has 59K original miles, rides like a dream and boy is that 371 zesty! Just had the gas tank and brake booster redone. Will be re-installing them soon.
By the way, who does the best job bringing pitted "Pot Metal" back to life? (Such as my large tail light assemblies)
Happy to be a member,
Rusty
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM

maybe

Originally Posted by Cutlass_Brad
Phil,
You should sell the car and you should sell the car to me.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,
Your words may be prophetic in that the other girl (not a car) is definitely NOT happy...I have looked for what it needs and it may be beyond my budget at this point. Keep an eye on the classified section...
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Past Administrator

Rusty, you might have to address your question on the metal trim in a seperate thread. I think there might be some hope if you can find a hot-rod or restoration shop. I know that stainless can be fixed for bends, bumps, twists and nicks and then be re-polished; same for chrome except there would be extra steps in plating, don't know about pitting though. Good luck.
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Good morning, and thank you. I have just aquired a 1969 cutlass supreme hardtop sedan. I LOVE the power behind this car... just a couple minor repairs needed. Breaks are a little weird, and i think i need a flange gasket ring. a little loud. I'm in southern california.
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. You might find yourself changing more than just the doughnut. Those exhaust nuts are hard to save and be careful to not strip a stud. Use something like PB Blaster on the nuts for a number of days/multiple applications before taking them off.
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

thank you oldsguy, will do, i'm using liquid wrench, I put it on last night. i'll do the same today, tomorrow, and try it on weds. I just don't like the noise, it's not too loud, but still, do you have any feedback on my vehicle? anything else i should worry about? advice? it would be much appreciated.
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM

here's the Olds, 69 hardtop sedan, i had the original color clayed out yesterday, a before and after shot.
Attached Images
olds69.jpg (5.0 KB, 18 views)
olds691.jpg (8.3 KB, 17 views)
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Past Administrator

Turned out nice! No specific feedback, just enjoy it.
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM
zed

Hi all. Another new guy here. I'm not exactly new to Oldsmobiles but I picked up a nice '85 2 dr 88 recently.I bought it for the wife to drive but probably shouldn't have as I can envision her opening up that big door into someone elses car. (used to 4 doors now) I don't know if I'll keep it but it was in nice shape so I couldn't resist. Anyways I'm enjoying the site and hope to even contribute if possible. lol
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you here Zed. Enjoy that big car!
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
zed

Thanks Oldsguy. I think I made a mistake by posting on this thread,(there's a yellow sign by it now) Oops.
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

You mean the yellow exclamation marker? Don't worry about that.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the welcome. You guys have already helped me out with info on the Rallye Pac guage for my 75 cutlass with a 455. I'll have more questions later when more money is at hand as I want to install an Edlebrock carb and manifold.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM
gdarty74

Happy to be new to the site

Hello all, Im Gary. I have a 1955 olds 98 project. Gonna need alot of advice and i think im on the site.
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ice

1986 Olds 442

I own 1986 Olds 442. My dad bought it brand-new in May 1986, it's stock #4244 of 4273 made. The only parts not original are the stereo (original is in my closet), the tires are Goodyear Eagle GTII (they don't make Eagle GT's anymore), and I can't think of anything else. But I'm getting ready to make it show quality if I can.

So I will be using this as a research vehicle for my work.

Looks like it will be a good help.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM

welcome and good luck with your project
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Past Administrator

Gary and Ice, glad to have both of you guys on board.
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ice

Oldsguy

My dad's 2nd favorite Olds was his '77 Cutlass with an 8-track player. He ran marathons and took me to a few of them in it. It was a good car.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Past Administrator

Ahh, I can remember 8-tracks. Crappy sound but better than the radio usually.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Not too bad if you hooked them up to a reverb unit in the trunk which was attached to the rear speaker. There I go again lettin my age out of the bag

Quick Reply: Welcome to the new members