The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Welcome to the new members

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

Exclamation Welcome to the new members

I noticed quite a few new members and wanted to welcome all of you;

Jccc
Daverbmxer
Olsman
Jasonscj5

I probably missed some, welcome to you all and hope you enjoy this website.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Question new member: olsman

thanks" i am just glad i am not the only olds, fan! did you read my post! i know this is a dumb question but what body style is a 1977 olds. delta 88??? is it a-body,g-body???
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

Deltas were B bodies
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:07 AM

hey all, new here. Just bought a 65 F-85 Cutlass 2 door w/ the 330.
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Past Administrator

Well, welcome to this site! Your car should be a very fun one! I have seen quite a few instances of people buying these early to mid sixties Oldsmobiles lately and that is encouraging!
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome Oldsguy. I just got started on this website and enjoy it very much. I am presently looking to buy a 1st generation Toro probably a 70 model so that is what got my interest in this site.

After working for an Olds dealer for 15 years until they closed and seeing what happened to the oldest division of GM, I think it’s very sad and my loyalty is with Olds. I always did like the old Toro’s so now my search begins. Thanks again.
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome. And Thanks to everyone here that makes this board so good. I have only been on here for around a month now but I have learned a lot and already met some very nice cats. Enjoy all!!
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM
whips5spd

Question

Thanks for welcoming me! I recently purchased a Camel/Tan '79 Cutlass Calais,{260 V8 DIESEL; 5 speed; T-top; 34M Actual Miles;It is all original:Paint,Motor,Interior} I was curious if anyone knows of any production numbers/value for a vehicle equipped as such? {There must only be a handfull left!} PS. I'm searching for misc. parts also. Any info is appreciated. THANKS, WHIP

Old June 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Past Administrator

Whip, you MUST have meant 34,000 miles, if your car has 34,000,000 miles then call Ripley's because I think you have a record! I have a reference book at home and will try to remember to look up the info you need.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM

Thanks-Glad to be a member

Hi: I have a 1967 Olds Cutlass 2 door coupe with a '69 350 v-8 installed. Gradually replacing engine parts and bought and had installed an Edelbrock #7111 performer intake manifold and #1406 4 bbl electric choke carb. Then replaced mechanical OE fuel pump and new fuel filter, Edelbrock air cleaner. Runs well but the problem is an awfully hard start with at least five pumps to the floorboard and after I run it, turn it off and try to restart it still starts hard. Any ideas? Other than that it's a beaut and makes me feel like a kid again!

Gary
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Gary, welcome. Remember Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark. You have taken care of fuel and air of course unless you have some bad intake valve action but thtat notwithstanding I would check your spark. Have you done a complete tuneup? Bad or old points or plugs will kill your spark. Finally you might do a compression check. Sounds like you have a nice find on your hands there
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM

Newest Member Here!

Guys and girls!
Havin a problem with the Toronado,........an 89,....led display messes up all the time,..sometimes I don't have display at all,....different messages, no speed indicator, etc.
Is anyone else having a problem like this?
Does anyone have any suggestions at to what the problem may be?
This is ongoing, but after awhile it does come back, almost totally,......can anyone help??

Please reply to frshleeprkd@hotmail.com

Many thanks,...

Deb Mmm.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Deb, I fix electronics for a living and those discrepancies sound like common intermittents. I would look for a loose or dirty connnector. You may not be dealing with wire bundles either. Some of those things use flex strips which are flat "ribbons" of multiple wires that are either soldered directly onto a circuit board or device or plugged in by some kind of connector. Look for those as well, especially those to your display.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:50 PM

led display

Deb we use to have a lot of problems with the central power supply for those Toro’s, also the body control module (BCM) had there fair share of problems. The one thing I remember with the last generation Toronados, Rivera’s and Reattas was they had a lot of electrical problems, and most were caused by the components I just mentioned.

The most important to check is your battery connections plus all the grounds, Engine, chassis etc. Good clean and tight connections. I fixed many electrical issues on these newer vehicles by just going over the power supply, grounds and battery connection. But one quick check with cluster problems is if you smack the dash with you hand above the cluster and it lights or flickers, the problems is most likely in the cluster. Just thought I would share my experience.

Chris
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Chris (Goodwrench1984 AND OLDSGUY)!!!!

Man, you guys are awesome! I so appreciate your help with this, but you know how it is,....you ask someone who already works on the vehicle, and they are just thinkin, "cha-ching"!! Let's get some more $$ outta them".
The car belongs to my boyfriend and he loves the zestiness of the car and the beautiful ride, it's looks, etc.
One guy says the module needs replacing, one guy says he will have to reprogramme everthing,...so who does one believe?? I thought if I could pose the question to impartial souls out there, someone would have some legitimate suggestions for me
If we could, I would love to telephone either one of you to have you speak with my boyfriend, so he could get more details, rather than spending time here typing back and forth,...not that I don't appreciate this help,..either way,.........you have helped considerably!! I needed to tell you both that. I thank you for taking your time to respond to me.
Again,....you could email me at my private email address which is
frshleeprkd@hotmail.com (not a link sorry). If you wanted to furnish me with a telephone number we could call U that would be awesome, but I understand if you would rather not,........
Awwww, thanks again guys,.....your help is just great!!
Kindest Regards,

Deb Mmm.http://frshleeprkd@hotmail.com
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Welcome

Thanks Dan: Yes-it's a nice car and I have a picture but I'll see if I can shrink it to post next time. The folks at edelbrock said that in all likliehood it needs an insulator between carb and manifold because the fuel is percolating. My mechanic thinks its vapor lock and is talking about moving the fuel lines-so go figure! I'm picking up the insulator anyway-can't hurt. I think spark might be ok-installed a new Petronix to eliminate the problem with points, And the in-line clear fuel filter shows gas in it. Well-looking forward to ironing out these glitches and opening it up on the highway!

Thanks again-G
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

First visit

Thank you for your welcoming message.

I first bought a 1955 holiday 98 olds in Summit NJ in 1964 for $135.00. The car ran beautifully and looked very good as well. I am now debating between a '55 holiday 98 and a 56 Super Holiday 88.

To those that are having problems with the fuel pump and/or the vacuum part of the fuel pump that operates the wipers.

Replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric pump, in the tank or chasis mounted will cause problems with the vacuum operated wipers. Best to locate one of those 'have been in town forever' auto parts and see if they have one in stock on a shelf somewhere or can order it from their supplier.

Good luck,

Regards,

Israel
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I found this site a couple of days ago and find it really nice being able to talk to people who know oldsmobiles.
I've had my 68 cutlass s for 15 years and been working on it for 11.
had the body off the frame and had the frame painted and rebuilt the syspention srings,bushings,lines and added disc brakes and a posi rear end.
The body had to have quarters left and right as well as the inner and outer wheel wells. trunk floor and floor boards were solid thanks to a leaking jetaway. just about ready to paint.
I was a mopar fan all my friends have them, I seen the olds and fell in love.
Thanks again for the welcome and sorry if the spelling is a little off.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Past Administrator

Is your choke working and set correctly? The choke plate should close almost fully when you depress the gas and turn the ignition to ON (not start) when the engine is cold. Then, after the engine is warm the choke plate should disengage.
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Hallo!
My name ist Ernst, I m from Austria in Europe, and I m a musclecar-fan. I ve spottetd a 442 1968 with 325 hp 400 engine, not bought so far.
I m happy having found an oldsmobile-forum, thanks for being welcome.

Ernst
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Past Administrator

Ernst, you should like this forum a lot! There are many freindly and knowledgeable people here. Welcome to the site!
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks

I have a question! How do i make a post
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Past Administrator

you just did! If you mean how do you start a thread, select "Oldsmobile forums" from the menu bar at top, then select the appropriate forum (if you have a comment about cutlass then select cutlass forum), then select the "new thread" option near the bottom left of the page below all the listed threads, it is a blue bubble, then compose your post and give it a title and select save. There you have it.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be a new member. I have been looking for a 68-72 Vista Cruiser and want to learn all I can about them. I never have owned and Olds and need to know more, and maybe have a few questions answered. I'm not new to GM cars, have had several, they are all a lot alike but have their differences too.

Allan
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hallo!

Thanks for the welcome. I,m in mopars for 20 years , but now there is the oppotunity to get a 1968 442, which is as rare as any other muscle car in Europe. Does anyone know what the z instead of a m does mean in the VIN code?
What years of 442 are the most desireable in the USA?

The 1968 has the favourite looks for me.

Greetings from Austria, Ernst
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM

Husbands head is under car hood help please!

Hey everyone, my wonderful husband has his head under the hood of his 1989Cutlass Ceira, 4 Cylinder. He is replacing his serpentine belt. He does not have a manual, the diagrams were removed from the car before he bought it when it was previously painted. As he is trying to get this car repaired before morning, can anyone tell me where to find a diagram online for installing the belt, its getting dark and he looks like this! . Thanks for your help... a Southernbella in distress
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm transfering over from Thunderbird International after completing a deal to switch from my 1956 bird to a 1969 W-32 Cutlass convertible. Quite a difference in performance. Being an incurable car nut I srill need to live long enough to own at least one of all the cars I dream of. The Cutlass being one as was the Thunderbird. If I was Jay Leno I could own 'em all at once but, alas.....
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Smile 1957 olds 88

i need anyone out there to help me if they know of a good hood for a 57 olds. thanks gaylon 205-602-1104
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

av8tor19330: I know what you mean, wish I had the money too, there would be three Jay Lenos in the world then, he does have quite a collection! The Tbird isn't as fast cuz it doesn't have a rocket engine, just kidding. They did make it too large in it's later years though.

willis442w30: I don't know of any 57 parts, you might check jalopyjournal.com and go to the HAMB forum, lots of older car enthusiasts there and at least 3 Oldsmobile fanatics that I can think of.

Welcome to our site to the both of you.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM

In addition to my newly acquired '53 Olds 98, I also own a restored '60 TBird with a bored out 352...rebuilt with high performance components.
It leaves a lot of cars in the dust!
I'm anxious to get this '53 Olds back in business - I love this car and its styling.
I'm gonna need a lot of advice and help from others on this forum so if there are any other early 50's Olds owners here, let me know so I can pester you with questions!
thanks!

Casey
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Past Administrator

Casey, welcome! There are some people here with knowledge of the older models, also check out the HAMB site I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Hi

Hi everyone!!
I'm Martijn (Martin ll do) from Holland and also new here. I have a 1972 88 coupe, When im done resizing my pics, ill post them. The car is allmost restored to its original state, i only need an interior light, a mirror, and a radio. Well im looking forward to expand my knowledge about olds here and have some fun in the process.

See you all!!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Moment

Hi guys.. new to the forum.
Names Tom, I'm in New England. 1969 Cutlass Supreme 350 under reconstruction. Whats the difference between a Canadian car and an American, mines made in Canada. I recently scored the car from the second owner, it was off the road and in storage since '91. Right now it's up on blocks getting all new brake componants (except for the booster and backing plates), tires and exaust system. I hope to put some miles on it before the snow, then the body work starts.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Past Administrator

Martijn, I look forward to seeing pictures of your car. The '72 Delta 88's were very nice cars. I think you will be able to find what you need as you "network" in the Oldsmobile community. Welcome to our site!

Tom, I do not know the difference but I suspect there are more than one members that do! It sounds like your car has been taken care of too. Welcome to our site as well.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Moment

Heres some shots..

20060821_000000276.jpg100_3460.jpg100_3484.jpg
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Ive posted my pics in the photo-section as 'my ride'. Its the big yellow monster. I've finished quite some constructive work this week: the trunk, lighting and brakes. Next week its the engine. (i hope my parts arrive soon from the States)
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM

unable to navigate site

I am searching for Olds sites to put the word out that I have a 1968 olds 442 , needs restoration... but I can't seen to be able to navigate the site
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Thanks
Can you help me figure out what kind of motor do I have.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:28 AM

New guy here. I'm 58 and just retired. Believe it or not I worked as a Ford partsman for 34 years. Have always been a OLDS guy, but when I got out of the service in '71 no OLDS dealers needed a rookie. I had to have a job, so on a wim I stopped at a FORD store and have been there ever since.
Now that I have retired, I have more time for my cars. I have a small hobbie shop and work only on OLDSMOBILE. Just as a hobbie for fun and just enough money to cover my rent.
I have a couple of cars. A '50 coupe, 2 '64 Cutlass, '70 Cutlass Supreme.
I've had the '50 since 1968. One '64 is my race car, the other is a "prostreet" type car, a weekend driver. It started as a street car, then we got carried away and it became a race car, now it's back to a street car. The '70 is a plain jane daily driver. A 350 2bl, T-350 coluum shift, bright red.
I hope I can help in any way ........... Thanks Gene
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM

got your post Gene, nice rides. My '69 cutlass is being interiored at this time.I
m missing some beautiful convertible weather

Quick Reply: Welcome to the new members