The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Trim Codes

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Trim Codes

Codes
Hi,

I read one of your posts to mikeb70olds regarding trim codes. I have a jist as to what the middle line stands for on mine, tho I cannot decipher top or bottom lines. Would you be able to please help me out? First off, some info on car. It is a 68 Cutlass Supreme, numbers matching (for I have been told), bone stock original (except for maintenance updates). Has 350, 4bbl, single exh., Super Turbine 300 auto. trans, p.s., p.d.b., freshly charged 134-A a/c. I have metal POP (difficult to read, it's secured backwards on owner protection plan booklet) in original envelope, original bill of sale, original owners manual and service repair manual. Been in climate controlled storage for past 30 years. I really like the car and love learning as much info as possible. Here is trim tag numbers as read off cowl under hood on drivers side:

01D 010365 110613

ST 68 34287 BF 02627 BODY

TR 973 B80 C4 PAINT

I know what 01D, 68 in the ST68, 34287, BF, 02627, TR973 and the C in C4 designates. Are you able to help me out with the rest?

I have a few more questions on other items too. I will ask these at a later time. I thank you for your BIG help!

Moses
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Oldsdruid

B80 is chrome roof driprail mouldings.

C4 is Provincial White with Blue vinyl roof cover.

The stuff after the date code is Fremont CA-specific stuff. It's not seen on cars from any other plant. I think one of our 65 guys has those Fremont codes.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Moses.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Moses
Codes
I have metal POP (difficult to read, it's secured backwards on owner protection plan booklet) in original envelope,
It's not really secured backwards. It is a "mirror image" because it is used to make an impression at the dealership that is subsequently read.
If you take a pic or a scan of it, you can post it for us to decode for you. The pic/scan can easily be "flipped" to make reading easy.

As RR says, the codes above the date codes are Fremont specific, but there isn't a decode for them.
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Kurt,

Thanks for your advice, I'll give the scan a try and see if i can post it. I'll get my notes as to what I've learned via researching the codes a few weeks back and post them too. Maybe I can shed some light for someone else at same time.

M-
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM

From what I have learned so far with trim codes on 68 Cutlass Supreme:

01D: Car built on 01= January. D= Last week of month.
0627: Body Number. TR 973: Color of Interior. B80: Chrome Roof Drip Rail Moldings.
C4: Provincial White, Blue Vinyl Roof.
ST 68: Model Year. BF: Fremont, Calif Assembly Plant
34287: 1st five digits of VIN#. I think the 4287 signifies Holiday Coupe.

More later as I gather info.

I am still stumped what the 010365 # and 110613 # represents.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM

I think you'll stay stumped on those numbers. You'll only find them on Fremont cars as they are exclusive to that plant. Earlier Fremont cars have a broadcast manifest number that is 5 digits and is located at the bottom of the plate.
It is possible that one of those numbers is the broadcast manifest number. If it is, it won't mean anything unless you have the build sheet.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

34287: 1st five digits of VIN#. I think the 4287 signifies Holiday Coupe.
Actually,

3 = Oldsmobile Division
42 = Cutlass Supreme model line
87 = Holiday Coupe (2dr HT)

As we all are. These are Fremont-unique codes that apparently were used in-plant for some reason, but I'm not aware of anyone being able to determine what they meant.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks Joe for the 3, 42, 87 i.d.'s. Thanks Kurt for the Fremont info.

Some of us go our whole life thinking of the "One that got away". I hope I dont go the rest of my way thinking..."what do these two numbers stand for?" Kidding.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM

Speaking of build sheet... I looked under both front bucket seats and under carpet under these seats to no avail. Is build sheet for 68 Cutlass under rear seat? Does anyone have any suggestions where to find it?

Thank you for your help!
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Oldsdruid

Well, why didn't you say you needed the interior trim code broken down? I'll get that for you when I get back to the house.

Build sheets weren't always put in the car, or even in the correct car for that matter. Lansing was notorious for not putting the broadcast in the car. Not sure about Fremont.

Some of us go our whole life thinking of the "One that got away". I hope I dont go the rest of my way thinking..."what do these two numbers stand for?" Kidding.
Nah. That's for GTO and Corvette guys. And that is no kidding. I've known more than a few of them who obsessed over minutiae like that. I knew one GTO guy who would actually lose sleep because his car didn't have every option available and there was one in particular he couldn't find anywhere.

Never could make him understand that a fully optioned musclecar was defeating the car's whole purpose. "But that's the way I'd have ordered it!" he'd whine. Pretty obvious the guy was not around in 1966.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 21st, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM

Sure I appreciate that too! I was just wondering where build sheet was. One of the '60's era cars I had, the build sheet was on back side of back seats back rest.

Thanks
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Oldsdruid

TR 973= blue Strato-bucket seats in 4287 Supreme Holiday Coupe.

68 strangeness- Blue was not available in the Supreme Holiday Coupe with center armrest front bench seat, but Teal was.

Strato-Buckets were not available in Teal in the Supreme Holiday Coupe, but were in Blue.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM

That is very strange regarding the 68 strangeness! One could have this in this color but not if you had it in this style, but then you could... if you ordered it in this model. Imagine if they factored the vinyl top into their equation. Now, that could change the whole ballgame, that's even more nuts!

Thanks for your generous help You definitely are clearing my mind more and more on these trim codes.

Gto and Vette guys are like that I have seen, some anyways. And your other point is so true in regards to a true muscle car... From what I've learned over the past 40+ years a muscle car wouldn't be a muscle car with all the gadgets and power equipment. Granted that my 68 Supreme (which seems to be categorized as a muscle car) has p.d.b., p.s. and a/c, a few options yes but... a muscle car isn't just the muscle under the hood, it's also the muscle it takes to depress that "manual brake" brake pedal to make the car stop, to crank that steering wheel that controls that manual steering to avoid another car or a pedestrian and to shift those gears especially the beloved "three in a tree" with great execution that no one, not even an acute ear several feet away could distinguish an interruption. That is where Muscle Car comes into play.

I grew up admiring the 60's and 70's muscle cars and other cars & trucks. My first hook was my neighbors '60 Dart, the taillights just got to me. Taillights and back end of vehicle, steering wheels and dashboards/dash panels just set the tone for the whole package. Lately the car that really gets to me is the '65 Starfire. I love the taillights, dash panel and steering wheel. Some cars just have that certain "look" to them that make you want to pull up a couple lawn chairs in the garage, maybe invite a war veteran to hang out, get a couple beers and just admire "artwork". Sure I love my '68, it carries a certain memory and thanks to all you guys and gals, your undeniable help increases my fondness for...Oldsmobile!

Have a great evening.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM

My apologies that I offended any of you guys or gals regarding my thoughts (Sept 21st 2010) on a true muscle car. I was going by past experiences with my feelings.

Have a great day.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Never could make him understand that a fully optioned musclecar was defeating the car's whole purpose. "But that's the way I'd have ordered it!" he'd whine. Pretty obvious the guy was not around in 1966.
Gto and Vette guys are like that I have seen, some anyways. And your other point is so true in regards to a true muscle car... From what I've learned over the past 40+ years a muscle car wouldn't be a muscle car with all the gadgets and power equipment. Granted that my 68 Supreme (which seems to be categorized as a muscle car) has p.d.b., p.s. and a/c, a few options yes but... a muscle car isn't just the muscle under the hood, it's also the muscle it takes to depress that "manual brake" brake pedal to make the car stop, to crank that steering wheel that controls that manual steering to avoid another car or a pedestrian and to shift those gears especially the beloved "three in a tree" with great execution that no one, not even an acute ear several feet away could distinguish an interruption. That is where Muscle Car comes into play.

I grew up admiring the 60's and 70's muscle cars and other cars & trucks. My first hook was my neighbors '60 Dart, the taillights just got to me. Taillights and back end of vehicle, steering wheels and dashboards/dash panels just set the tone for the whole package. Lately the car that really gets to me is the '65 Starfire. I love the taillights, dash panel and steering wheel. Some cars just have that certain "look" to them that make you want to pull up a couple lawn chairs in the garage, maybe invite a war veteran to hang out, get a couple beers and just admire "artwork". Sure I love my '68, it carries a certain memory and thanks to all you guys and gals, your undeniable help increases my fondness for...Oldsmobile!

Have a great evening.
My apologies that I offended any of you guys or gals regarding my thoughts (Sept 21st 2010) on a true muscle car. I was going by past experiences with my feelings.
Have a great day.
You did have me wondering about the 2nd part of your thoughts regarding the "muscle" it takes for the brakes etc., until I realized that you were saying that "tongue in cheek".
You don't need to worry about any "musclecar" opinions, because the term has no definition. So it is whatever you want it to be.

You do bring up an interesting aspect. I too grew up admiring the cars of the '60s in particular. And there is an almost indescribable impression they leave on you. It was the looks, the sounds...........leaving you with an admiration that you *never* lose or forget. You mention '65 Starfires. Oldsmobiles were barely on my radar then, yet I remember how the taillights on that car just blew me away. They looked like jewels to me at the time. Probably an influence that contributed to me having a '65 Jetstar 1 today.
The impressions were powerful, yet hard to describe.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks Kurt!

Jewels indeed as in Red, Red Ruby's!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM

I, too, grew up loving the muscle cars, and waiting for news on who had more H.P. during the 'horsepower wars' of the 60's!
Jenkins was my hero with 'Dr. Oldsmobile' a very close second! [before Pro Stock]
Then discovered the gassers! Stone, Woods and Cook, Big Jon Mazmainian, etc!!
Good time for being a kid!
Then had to go to work!
Started as a hiker at a Chevy dealer with dreams of fast cars! [425 horse Biscayne for $2250 including tax, L-79 Nova for $150 more!] No money @ 18!
Moved on to Nickey Chevrolet Parts! 11 AM to 8 PM, and had to take care of anyone in the door by 8! Was there 'til 11 sometimes!
Remember getting a boxcar of L-79 shortblocks when the LT-1 came out, and selling them for $248!!!
And then the famous engine swaps that no one kept paperwork on!!
Life was fun in the late 60's!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM

Recently (3+ yrs ago) I came across a great group of guys in a nearby town. We were in the trades and hung out in their garage talking muscle cars. One guy had '70 1/2 (I think) RS Camaro that was so AWESOME! He removed door panels, rear seat, passenger seat and took it to dragway whenever he had chance and did quite well. I was so envious of him to have that car. His dad was creating a super sweet T-Rod built to the "nines". One dude had this badass lookin' '39 if not '40 Ford Panel he was restoring as a complete mod with a Budweiser theme on the horizon. To know these people was truly a gift! I regret losing their connection. To see these machines was a living dream that I have yet to see in today's cars of the '90's on up. An ol' friend told me years ago... "If we were walking down the beach in Florida, I'd look at every ol' car & truck, where he would be checkin out the women". I replied yes that's true. I have "someone" that doesn't make me want to look at other women, you don't. My wife just told me I look like a male dog lookin at a female poodle whenever I see an ol' car come into eyesight! Maybe it's the high octane fuel that i enjoy breathing, who knows. What can I say? Anyways, I told my buddy I love ol' cars & trucks and he says a car is a car. Couple of my bro's had older cars, one of them traded his '70 Corona for a '71 Harley Davidson Superglide Chopper. I grew up "wanting" anything that was from '56-'73. Since then I've gone earlier to late '40's to early '70's. It would be great to live in a ranch house with a pole barn or two out back with "our toys" nestled inside. I learned early on that all Chrysler products may have had the big Hemi's but that was their "15 minutes of fame" so to speak. It seemed every Chrysler brand vehicle had integrity recalls, electrical malfunctions, body fit issues, it was endless. Ford always seemed to be for certain folks. I'm not saying anything bad on them. I do like the early birds mostly for their body character, the '60's Galaxie's, early Stangs, Mavericks & early '70's Torinos. So there are variances. GM had ALOT to be desired as we all know, my list of desires in that department is endless. I had such a strong hearted interest in the '60's & '70's cars. I always took impeccable care of every single one I had. One of my 5 siblings had a '66 Galaxie 500 w/a 7 Litre yet had no clue it's importance or value, he trashed it within 5 months. Car stories are endless. I am fortunate to know of this site and fortunate to know you guys and so glad your cars and my 68 did not meet the crusher several years back! Thanks to God all you guys are here and thanks to you guys that we all share the same interest in these beloved automobiles. Is there a Classic Oldsmobile Decal available? Any local Oldsmobile clubs in Illinois? I am need of a couple interior parts on mine and not to sure who, to trust for their parts business ethics, if you know what I mean. I am looking to keep 68 Supreme as stock as possible. And speaking of Dustops, I'll call them one of these days to place an order, so I thank you for your guidance on that score!

Have a great evening!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM

Kurt,

You know of these companies that have custom couches of the '57 Chevy Bel-Air theme with the working lights? It would be cool to have one (tho they are so expensive) of a '65 Starfire. I may just look for a '65 Starfire taillight lens to get me in the "fever" for this particular car. If I had the $, let alone space I'd look for a 2dr in good shape. That way, not only would I have the taillight (s), but also that cool dashboard of gauges and steering wheel. Yea, I'm obsessed with quality! And I'm very content with my '68 and hope to keep it for quite a while, I have much to learn and enjoy.

Have a great evening!
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Started as a hiker at a Chevy dealer with dreams of fast cars! [425 horse Biscayne for $2250 including tax, L-79 Nova for $150 more!] No money @ 18!
Moved on to Nickey Chevrolet Parts! 11 AM to 8 PM, and had to take care of anyone in the door by 8! Was there 'til 11 sometimes!
Remember getting a boxcar of L-79 shortblocks when the LT-1 came out, and selling them for $248!!!
And then the famous engine swaps that no one kept paperwork on!!
Life was fun in the late 60's!
Rickman, I have a friend who would probably love to talk with you! He has a vintage Nickey ballcap that he wears a lot, and is big on mid-60s Chevrolet muscle and vintage drags.

Like you say, a good time to be a car crazy kid!
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Kurt,

You know of these companies that have custom couches of the '57 Chevy Bel-Air theme with the working lights? It would be cool to have one (tho they are so expensive) of a '65 Starfire. I may just look for a '65 Starfire taillight lens to get me in the "fever" for this particular car. If I had the $, let alone space I'd look for a 2dr in good shape. That way, not only would I have the taillight (s), but also that cool dashboard of gauges and steering wheel. Yea, I'm obsessed with quality! And I'm very content with my '68 and hope to keep it for quite a while, I have much to learn and enjoy.

Have a great evening!
Wow the '65 S/F *would* make a cool couch. The way they're angled would lend the design to a couch very nicely! And an additionally cool feature would be to wrap in the rear quarters around the ends of the couch and include the "in the quarters" exhaust outlets!!
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Smile

Kurt,

I hope no one patents this " '65 couch" idea! It'd also be cool to see lil' puffs of smoke comin out of exhaust ports while taillights were lit up!
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM

Kurt,
A friend of mine and I are working on starting a cool "home" project, we will look into this "car couch' too in near future. We dont know what the market is for these other than bleak and that was before the economy took a nose dive. I'd like to take more of a basic approach on this other than a place to sit and the taillights lit. Ideas are welcome and on horizon.

Have a great day!
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Oldsdruid

Just remember- straight rust free 1965 Starfire rear bumper cores routinely hit four figures.... and the taillight bezels aren't much better. You do a Starfire couch, you have taken on an EXPENSIVE piece of furniture!

Knew I shoulda bought that 65 back in the 80s, when they were still cheap cars.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Are u $eriou$!! A grand for '65 Starfire rear bumper?
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Just remember- straight rust free 1965 Starfire rear bumper cores routinely hit four figures.... and the taillight bezels aren't much better. You do a Starfire couch, you have taken on an EXPENSIVE piece of furniture!
Knew I shoulda bought that 65 back in the 80s, when they were still cheap cars.
Actually, that could still work. Won't need perfect pieces for a couch. Sure, nicely chrome plated pieces would be best, but one could make do nicely with parts that are otherwise finished. Painted even.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM

From what I've learned over the past 40+ years a muscle car wouldn't be a muscle car with all the gadgets and power equipment.... a muscle car isn't just the muscle under the hood, it's also the muscle it takes to depress that "manual brake" brake pedal to make the car stop, to crank that steering wheel that controls that manual steering to avoid another car or a pedestrian and to shift those gears .
#24 of the 54 1966 W30s has two "luxury" options: tinted glass, and deluxe seat/shoulder belts! The deluxe seat belts were required to get the shoulder belt option. All other options were "business" related. C48 heater delete; no radio was ordered; L69 Tri Carbs; W30; M21; V01 HD radiator, N38 HD manual steering; U16 tach; G80 anti-spin. That's the way to order a muscle car.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
#24 of the 54 1966 W30s has two "luxury" options: tinted glass, and deluxe seat/shoulder belts! The deluxe seat belts were required to get the shoulder belt option. All other options were "business" related. C48 heater delete; no radio was ordered; L69 Tri Carbs; W30; M21; V01 HD radiator, N38 HD manual steering; U16 tach; G80 anti-spin. That's the way to order a muscle car.
And it doesn't get any better than that!

Of course back then, it wasn't called a musclecar, as the term didn't exist at that time.

It wasn't until 1968 that the automakers really caught on to making high performance cars with the "no frills" approach. Enter the Roadrunners and Superbees. But Olds was never to be a budget entry in the high performance wars. And Olds stuck to their guns that they would still deliver handling in addition to horsepower.
Gearheads knew to buy their cars without any options that added weight and/or robbed power, regardless of make preference.