The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Noob Here, Olds Powered Buick

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Noob Here, Olds Powered Buick

Hey guys, my name is Austin and I live in Little Rock, AR. I drive a 1977 Buick Riviera.....you may be wondering why I'm here, that's because my Riv is powered by the factory Olds 403. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Thanks again,
Austin.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Welcome, was just talking to buddy last night about the 403 rivs
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Thank you for the welcome.

I find myself talking about mine, a lot lol. oh, i forgot to mention in my first post, I'm 18 years old, and I am an umpire of America's pastime, baseball.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Austin, Welcome Aboard
Now we just need to get you into a Toronado..... or something....
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Austin, Welcome Aboard
Now we just need to get you into a Toronado..... or something....
Lol. There's actually a 196? Toronado for sale about 5 minutes away from my college campus. Here, you buy it, I'll drive it.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Both the Toro and Riv are nice cars. 77 was the last year for the really big Toro's. Almost bought one of them with the XS package. When I test drove it though I was really disappointed with the performance of the 403. My 72 Cutlass (dd at the time) with it's 350 4bbl made that Toro look like Grandpa was driving. Although I will say it was like driving a chesterfield down the road. Smooth, quiet and comfy. Needless to say I didn't buy it. Only thing with those old 66+ Toro's is finding parts. (66 was the first year Olds produced the Toro)
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM

I'll have to go down a take a picture of it for you guys, last i checked, i think he was asking around 7k...

Tha'ts actually the reason I joined this forum, as well. I'm looking for a liiiiitlle more pep out of the 403.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Welcome to the site!!
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Welcome to the site!!
Thank you very much!
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Kind of funny how the Toronado and Riviera were always in competition in the market segment, but were very different cars up to '79.
Those 77-78 Riv's were pretty much gussied-up LeSabre coupes, while the Toronado shared almost nothing with any other Olds.
I will say that the 77-85 GM b/c-body platform was one of the nicest riding cars ever. Those Riv's were very luxurious for their day, and having the 403 is a definite plus.
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I had a couple of those 403 powered OldsmoBuicks myself.
(77 Rivi & 78 Electra)

Most of the 350 & 403 cars came with leisurely 2.41's out back (even the 403 TA's & Firebirds IIRC)

The catalytic converters of that era were pretty restrictive as well.

You may want to start a thread in the small block section.

Share what you'd like to see out of it & what is/isn't acceptable to you in trying to get there.

Me personally - if I had another one of these cars tomorrow w/a healthy motor I would :

1) Timing chain & gears (more for longevity & piece of mind than anything - tho a sloppy chain can hurt performance).
2) Full dual exhaust with an H or X pipe - hi flow cats or none at all.
3) Re-curve the HEI.
4) Rebuild the QJet for performance.
5) If keeping the stock 3spd trans - 3.08 gears or 3.23's if running a taller rear tire.
6) If upgrading to say a built 200R4 OD trans - 3.73's or 4.10's if running a taller rear tire.

That should provide a serious kick over stock while keeping things fairly well behaved.

I'm a smooth idle - sleeper type vs a more a radical approach that might not be as daily driver friendly (but as they say - diff strokes for diff folks).

You're somewhat limited w/a stock 403 anyway.

Anything too radical will make yanking it out to rebuild it & beef it up the right way ... an absolute must.

Great engine as long as you know & respect its limitations.
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Bring it to the OCA Nationals this coming July, in Springfield, Ill. Race with us at the Havana, Ill track. Last year an Olds-powered Buick won its class at the race in Eddyville, Iowa. Your car, as a race car, would show in Class 19b. More details on how to present your car are available.
Jim Lapikas of J&S Machine will attend. He is the guru of keeping a powerful 403 alive.
http://www.jsmachineoldsmobile.com/PRODUCTS.html

Last edited by Run to Rund; December 7th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM

pull the 403 out and put a 455!
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
I had a couple of those 403 powered OldsmoBuicks myself.
(77 Rivi & 78 Electra)

Most of the 350 & 403 cars came with leisurely 2.41's out back (even the 403 TA's & Firebirds IIRC)

The catalytic converters of that era were pretty restrictive as well.

You may want to start a thread in the small block section.

Share what you'd like to see out of it & what is/isn't acceptable to you in trying to get there.

Me personally - if I had another one of these cars tomorrow w/a healthy motor I would :

1) Timing chain & gears (more for longevity & piece of mind than anything - tho a sloppy chain can hurt performance).
2) Full dual exhaust with an H or X pipe - hi flow cats or none at all.
3) Re-curve the HEI.
4) Rebuild the QJet for performance.
5) If keeping the stock 3spd trans - 3.08 gears or 3.23's if running a taller rear tire.
6) If upgrading to say a built 200R4 OD trans - 3.73's or 4.10's if running a taller rear tire.

That should provide a serious kick over stock while keeping things fairly well behaved.

I'm a smooth idle - sleeper type vs a more a radical approach that might not be as daily driver friendly (but as they say - diff strokes for diff folks).

You're somewhat limited w/a stock 403 anyway.

Anything too radical will make yanking it out to rebuild it & beef it up the right way ... an absolute must.

Great engine as long as you know & respect its limitations.
Thank you very much for the tips!

Something else I didn't mention about the car--It has California Emission Controls on it. (I bought it out of Riverside last Feb). This is the first car I (or my trusty mechanic, aka DAD) have ever dealt with with this. You said that the catalytic converters were restricting, we've been afraid to touch my exhaust due to not knowing what affect it would have on the Emission system.

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
pull the 403 out and put a 455!
Well, you see, if I can pick up a 455, it'll go into my other Riviera. It's also a '77, but its SBB, I didn't think you guys would care too much about that one. The 403 is a great DD, IMO.