The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbey from New Jersey - 80 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2013, 01:23 PM

Newbey from New Jersey - 80 Cutlass

Hello all, I am brand new to this site and brand new to the world of auto mechanics...never owned a tool so I am learning as I go.

My latest endeavor was to clean out the vapor canister. I've been looking for a vacuum leak for about two weeks and really could find where it is exactly. Somehow I wound up having concerns over the canister and decided that this was an easy job to tackle.

1) Remove canister from the car
2) Break it open from the bottom carefully so you can put it back together (they don't make new ones)
3) Pour out the carbon onto a metal tray and burn off the gas vapors - you can start a huge fire this way - I almost did - so using a small torch just flame up about a cup of the stuff at a time to control the fire remember to NOT COOK THE CARBON. You need to stir it around and add a little flame as you go...eventually all of the gas will burn off and you wind up with fresh carbon to put back into the canister.
4) Replace with all new filter material as required.

I am really glad I did this. The carbon was saturated and the filter material inside was totally clogged up; essentially it was not working. The Service Manual that I have has some nice detailed information on it to help me understand what I trying to do.

Success!
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome, there are all skill levels on here. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO. Glad you were able to fix your problem. x2 on posting pics!
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:20 PM

Pictures

Thanks for the thought on taking photos. I will do a better job of documenting my work as I realize that one day someone might be in need of the exact same repair/maintenance on their car.

As described above, the canister and coal was recycled and after cleanly breaking it open I figured I would use wire ties to close it back up. Hopefully my photo of the bottom (before the lower filter goes in) will show up. Im still learning how to use this site.

The stalling problem I was having went away after cleaning out this canister.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VAPOR CANISTER SEALED.jpg (66.4 KB, 11 views)