The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum and Olds

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM

New to the forum and Olds

Hey all! New here and just thought I'd introduce myself. I don't have any hot rod cars at the moment, but I do have a hot rod boat. Thinking about losing my truck and going to a Cutlass for a daily driver. In today's economy the truck payment is getting a bit stiff!

There is only 1 Cutlass that really seems to catch my eye. A 65 2 door has the classic muscle car look that I really like. It seems though that some 65 2 door models look a little different than others. I don't know if this is due to different molding, or even just wheel/tire combos or what.

I'm not buying anything in the next few weeks or even in a couple of months, but I m interested in what to look for on these cars. What are the typical rot areas? What is availability of aftermarket suspension/engine parts. In all honesty, I'd really consider putting a BBC with a tremec TKO 5 speed in one, but I'm sure that could get me banned from the board! Does anyone do a rack and pinion changeover for the Cutlass (I'm assuming it has a gear box).

In any event, I really don't know much about the Olds cars being a life long Ford man. if anyone has any advice they could hand out, I'm a willing listener.

Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM

I'd really consider putting a BBC with a tremec TKO 5 speed in one, but I'm sure that could get me banned from the board!
Well, it wouldn't get you banned from our board. We sort of expect that from a Jayhawker. If you were a Mizzou fan that would be different, but hey... nobody is perfect.

Truthfully, a 65 Cutlass with a BBO engine would be the way to go. There are alot of people here that can help you out. You mention you have a hot rod boat, I'm surprised you don't know a bit about Oldsmobile engines. I thought Oldsmobile engines were popular in boat racing.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Well, it wouldn't get you banned from our board. We sort of expect that from a Jayhawker. If you were a Mizzou fan that would be different, but hey... nobody is perfect.

Truthfully, a 65 Cutlass with a BBO engine would be the way to go. There are alot of people here that can help you out. You mention you have a hot rod boat, I'm surprised you don't know a bit about Oldsmobile engines. I thought Oldsmobile engines were popular in boat racing.
I think they use the Olds stuff in the jet boats. Mine's an offshore type with a single 500hp BBC. She's only 24 feet, but she moves pretty good.

The reason I think BBC is because of the cubes available. Getting 555 cubic inches from a standard deck BBC is pretty easy. I guess that's my boat mentality kicking in though. I'm a big fan of displacement!

I don't know what cost difference there is between the 2. Are there full roller cam set-ups for the BB Olds engines?

I see you're in Lawton. My sister and family used to live there. I'm just up the road in Tulsa.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM

I'm just up the road in Tulsa.
AWSOME! I thought you were a KU fan because of your user name.

Getting 555 cubic inches from a standard deck BBC is pretty easy.
That might be super for a BBC but a BBO engine will make plenty of torque without any fancy add ons. The long stroke 455 was designed to move lead sleds around in the late 60s and early 70s.

BTW, a 455 bored .030 over is a 461. That is plenty of cubes.

Plus, you don't have to worry about finding an elusive BBO race block. For a BBC you have to find the elusive ZZ4 16 bolt main block so the engine does blow up when it redlines at 1500 rpm!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM

Oh, I am a KU fan and Alum! I definitely bleed crimson & blue! I was just ignoring the Mizzou comment so as to remain civil :-)

As far as the block goes, all of the GM 502 block are 4-bolt main. there are plenty of those to be found that have come out of marine applications. They can take the bore and the beating. Heck, I run my boat engine at 5200-5500 rpm for 5 - 7 minutes at a shot. It's a .030 over aluminum head 454. I guess it helps having a really good engine builder too!

I just don't know a lot about the Olds engines. I have no problem using one. It's one of those "what you know" kind of things for me. I know the ins and outs of the BBC and what makes them tick. Not so much on the Olds. I suppose it never hurts to learn though!

I've done some searching, and it looks like a decent 65 can be had for around $6000.00. Is that about right, or have I just seen a few ads for cars that are way worse than they look in the pics? I don't need a show car, but definitely not a rust bucket.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM

I think $6000 would buy a decent Oldsmobile. It might be harder if you are only interested in the 1965 Cutlass, but there are plenty of good Oldsmobiles out there.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM

Check it out!

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1401572907.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1398016399.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1396913896.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1389611976.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1385764139.html
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

This one caught my eye

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1401652042.html
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM

Go look at it this weekend and tell us what you think. If I were in your shoes I would jump on it like a hobo on a bologna sandwich.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM

Too far away right now and not in the budget yet! It's fun to talk about for now though. I have truck that has to go first. I always keep my eyes open looking for stuff. It sounds like you think that might be a "too good to be true" deal.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM

Not that I think it is too good to be true. I was just saying it would be a decent one to look at if you were in the market right now. Who knows, that car could still be listed a few months from now. Some things move really slow on Craigslist. I check the OKC and Dallas Craigslist often and I've seen cars on there for dang near a year not sell.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Past Administrator

I missed this earlier. Welcome to CO. Hope you can find yourself a nice Oldsmobile to drive. Check out Gearheads78 car. He has a thread in the "project builds" forum. Nice red car.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM

Yes, welcome to the site! As Oldsguy said when you have time do some reading on this site and another one called realoldspower.com has some details on performance engine builds. You'll find most of the people on this site prefer keeping an Oldsmobile all Olds, and you will be able to get plenty of power from an Oldsmobile engine. Check out this video clip made by one of the guys on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_oZk...eature=related
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the site.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! I haven't had a chance to look much at the info you guys have given me, but I will!
Old October 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

The hunt is part of the fun, like looking for a present under the Christmas tree only better