The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello From Idaho

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:02 AM

Hello From Idaho

Well first off hello. New to the forums (obviously) but not so much Oldsmobiles. Though this is only the second classic one I have owned, my other being a 1965 Delta 88 Coupe. Thought I would introduce myself, though and post up the couple of pictures I have. I recently lucked into this car, as it was a friend's that I had been after for a couple years, ever since he took me for a ride in it. I know it's not the typical V8 two door, but that is part of what I love about it. It has the Olds 250 in it, with quite a bit done to it, and a Richmond six speed behind it and a BOP rear end with 3.55s and a posi. Just a fun, pretty zippy car that I plan on giving a "hot rod" restoration to. Hope you guys like it, and I'll probably start a build thread once I actually get into it. So far, all I have done is swap out the Holley in the pics for a 500CFM Edelbrock, as well as fluids and a tune up. She's far from perfect, but that's half the fun, in my opinion. I'll get more pictures up once I get around to taking them
Attached Images
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome, love the Offy parts on the six. Is it cammed also?
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Justin

Wow looks solid this will be a fun car I indeed like four doors have fun with it and Welcome !!
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:27 AM
The Noob Messiah

Welcome aboard.

Love the unusual 1966 F85....love it.
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Welcome form the left coast

Unusual to see a straight six and with a 6-speed as well. Always fun to be different
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by F85_Inliner
Well first off hello. New to the forums (obviously) but not so much Oldsmobiles. Though this is only the second classic one I have owned, my other being a 1965 Delta 88 Coupe. Thought I would introduce myself, though and post up the couple of pictures I have. I recently lucked into this car, as it was a friend's that I had been after for a couple years, ever since he took me for a ride in it. I know it's not the typical V8 two door, but that is part of what I love about it. It has the Olds 250 in it, with quite a bit done to it, and a Richmond six speed behind it and a BOP rear end with 3.55s and a posi. Just a fun, pretty zippy car that I plan on giving a "hot rod" restoration to. Hope you guys like it, and I'll probably start a build thread once I actually get into it. So far, all I have done is swap out the Holley in the pics for a 500CFM Edelbrock, as well as fluids and a tune up. She's far from perfect, but that's half the fun, in my opinion. I'll get more pictures up once I get around to taking them

Hello!

I'm in Idaho too!

Been hard finding parts for my '60 that aren't rusted. I suggest looking in the southern desert-ey parts of the state where things tend to stay a little better!

You've got yourself a fine project there! Happy restoration!
Old February 4th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome, love the Offy parts on the six. Is it cammed also?
Thanks ^^ And yes, it is. A quick rundown on what bits and pieces I know of the engine is:
Bored .060 over, blocked milled .040, forged rods (I think the pistons are just stock style forged ones) 10:1 compression
Head off a 194 with 1.94 int & 1.60 exh, milled .060, ported, and deshrouding of the head performed
Erson cam with 280/288 total duration, 208/214 @ .050
Clifford intake and headers (I plan on putting Langdon Stovebolts on there, I don't much care for the fitment of the long tubes. At least until my other plans come through, then I need a different manifold)

Originally Posted by oldstata
Wow looks solid this will be a fun car I indeed like four doors have fun with it and Welcome !!
Thank you ^^ What little I have driven it, has been fun. Though, it does need quarter skins

Originally Posted by txrob779
Welcome aboard.

Love the unusual 1966 F85....love it.
Thanks ^^ Yeah, it's been fun with an oddball car lol

Originally Posted by citcapp
Unusual to see a straight six and with a 6-speed as well. Always fun to be different
Yep The friend I bought it off of has a knack to do odd things with his vehicles. I plan on taking it a bit further, and seeing how fast I can get her, without losing too much road manners

Originally Posted by Dyna88kid
Hello!

I'm in Idaho too!

Been hard finding parts for my '60 that aren't rusted. I suggest looking in the southern desert-ey parts of the state where things tend to stay a little better!

You've got yourself a fine project there! Happy restoration!
Yay, another Idahoan! lol Thanks for the tips, I imagine a '60 is even more difficult. And thanks, I plan to

Last edited by F85_Inliner; February 4th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:49 PM

I'm from Boise also, I must say I don't think I have ever seen an Olds with a straight six in it, that is totally off the wall, I like it.
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Welcome to CO. I grew up in Boise and only reluctantly moved to improve career and income. I still consider it my home town and visit a couple of times a year. That's a really unusual Olds and the 250 is a good engine to modify. Hope you stay active on CO and keep posting as you improve your Olds.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
I'm from Boise also, I must say I don't think I have ever seen an Olds with a straight six in it, that is totally off the wall, I like it.
Thanks ^^ It's definitely fun to watch people's face when I pop the hood lol And yay for more locals. Is there any sort of get together or club for Olds owners?

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Welcome to CO. I grew up in Boise and only reluctantly moved to improve career and income. I still consider it my home town and visit a couple of times a year. That's a really unusual Olds and the 250 is a good engine to modify. Hope you stay active on CO and keep posting as you improve your Olds.
Thank you. And well, at least you make visits ^^ I've noticed they seem to be good modders the more I read up on them. I plan on doing both things, as slow as they may move along. I really like your '47, by the way.
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM

So, for anyone curious, I found a video that my friend uploaded years back when he built the engine. It has the engine specs that I didn't know in the video description on Youtube. I think the only real difference now is it has glass packs on it. Though, my phone seems to not want to let me get pictures off of it, so it may be a bit

Last edited by F85_Inliner; February 5th, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Administrator

It's got a pretty sounding lope. But you can tell it's a 6 cylinder.
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's got a pretty sounding lope. But you can tell it's a 6 cylinder.
Oh yeah, it definitely has a six cylinder sound. Though, it seems around here, there are a few people who can't distinguish between that and a V8 lol
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Thanks ^^ It's definitely fun to watch people's face when I pop the hood lol And yay for more locals. Is there any sort of get together or club for Olds owners?

Not that I know of, I talked to some guy down at the fair grounds at the big show and he said the there used to be an Olds club and he was the president or something and they let it go because it was to much trouble.
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Not that I know of, I talked to some guy down at the fair grounds at the big show and he said the there used to be an Olds club and he was the president or something and they let it go because it was to much trouble.
That sounds about right for my luck. The F-body group died, the Olds group died. At least there's still the Mopar group, I guess. So, one out of three lol I think the Olds people should do a meetup sometime this summer. You know, when it's not cold and miserable out lol
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO. Like the 6 cylinder too, had one of those and could not kill it.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM

Nice to see another Idaho Oldsmobile guy!
Alex in Nampa Idaho USA..
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to CO. Like the 6 cylinder too, had one of those and could not kill it.
Thanks. Yeah, they're strong little engines. Couldn't kill the 292 I had in a 1970 GMC truck, either.

Originally Posted by Alex1972CutlassS
Nice to see another Idaho Oldsmobile guy!
Alex in Nampa Idaho USA..
Yeah, I say we should all try and get together sometime at a show or drive-in sometime this summer