The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Complete Newbie to all

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2023, 08:20 AM

Smile Complete Newbie to all

A buddy of mine has a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible. He told me that if I sell it, I could get half the money. The only thing is that I don't want to sell it.... The car needs some T.L.C. that I want to give to it. Even if I do end up selling it, the T.L.C. will make it worth more. He said that he got too old and lazy to finish it.
The car was sitting at a shop for about 10-15 years. It runs, but it needs A LOT of parts put on (or back on). There are 3 main things that I want to start with....

1.THE BRAKES. He has brand new rotors and discs at his house. He said that I would have to replace the dry-rotted lines on it.
2. Convertible Top.... The frame is sitting inside of the car now. He said that he has a new-ish vinyl top to put on it. (He says "New-ish because it is brand new but sitting inside his house for 10-15yrs).
3. Interior... The interior has also been sitting inside his house the whole time too. I don't know what condition it is in, but I do know that he takes good care of his stuff.
Old July 15th, 2023, 09:33 AM

Welcome. Hopefully you can buy your friend's half of the car and start work on it. Who's name is on the title?
Old July 15th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Welcome, seems to me that you and your friend need to come to an agreement on price for you to buy it.
Old July 15th, 2023, 10:04 AM

His, but said that he would put it in my name. Along with the 16' tandem axle flatbed trailer and 79 vet that he gifted me.
Old July 15th, 2023, 09:00 PM

I just found out that this car still has its original engine.
Old July 15th, 2023, 09:58 PM

better check to see if he owes any money to the shop first. if you buy it from him, you may be assuming that debt, which could be sizeable
Old July 16th, 2023, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Agree with all above posts. If possible and affordable get the car and have fun!
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Nope. He doesn't. The owner of the racing shop that is being sold is another one of our buddies too. The car is already on my property.
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:51 AM

Hey "Oldsguy" it looks like both of our first project cars are going to be the same. Except for this one is white.
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:52 AM
Banned

Pictures...
Old July 16th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Old July 16th, 2023, 10:04 AM

In some of the photos you can see the Vette he gave me. And before anyone asks, I have NO idea about ANY of the other cars in the background. I "MAY' be able to find out some info on them though.
Old July 16th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome. There may be interest in the 68 Cutlass sitting next to your 71. What's the location of the cars?
Old July 16th, 2023, 10:08 AM

Southern Arizona.
Old July 16th, 2023, 12:44 PM

You mentioned the brakes. The master cylinder looks like the style used on earlier disc brake cars. If you replace that don't turn it in as a core until you get some good photos to share with us. If it has the right application code stamped in it then it may be worth more than the core value to someone restoring say a 1968 442.
Old July 16th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Lilsatanracer
Hey "Oldsguy" it looks like both of our first project cars are going to be the same. Except for this one is white.
Except unfortunatelly my Cutlass was not a convertible. I had lots of fun with it though...
Old July 16th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
You mentioned the brakes. The master cylinder looks like the style used on earlier disc brake cars. If you replace that don't turn it in as a core until you get some good photos to share with us. If it has the right application code stamped in it then it may be worth more than the core value to someone restoring say a 1968 442.
I just talked to him. He said that was new. It's been on this car for a while sitting a the shop, but he said he had problems hooking something up to it. (splitter/proportion something). that's why the brakes aren't working now. He also mentioned that he has totes of brand new stuff sitting at his house now. As of now, we've only talked about a few things because there's a lot to do to it. The brakes are first so that's what we've talked about so far. He said that he had brand new rotors for the front, drums for the rear, and ALL the parts for the rear (i.e. spings, tensioner, EVERYTHING brand new for the rear.
Old July 16th, 2023, 03:11 PM

Got a video Here.
Old July 16th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Sounds good
Old July 16th, 2023, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sounds good
All I did was put a brand-new battery in, and literally 2 quick spurts of starting fluid. Now she starts up just like that every time. I can't keep starting her at this time due to a scare... When I first started her up, I was letting her idle. Then I noticed oil pouring out of the bottom. I hurried and shut her down then peeked underneath to see where the oil was coming from. To my surprise it was coming from the floorboard. So I got up and looked inside the car. There was oil filling up on the floorboard from the plastic tubing to the back of the oil pressure gauge. Nothing too hard to fix. LOL
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Get rid of the plastic oil pressure gage tubing and use copper. That will leak sometimes too but not like that flimsy plastic mess.

When you run the copper tubing make sure to use a rubber grommet where it goes thru the firewall, and also to make a vibration loop in it on engine side of firewall. That way any engine vibration from, say, a lumpy cam doesn't stress the copper tube as bad.
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Get rid of the plastic oil pressure gage tubing and use copper. That will leak sometimes too but not like that flimsy plastic mess.

When you run the copper tubing make sure to use a rubber grommet where it goes thru the firewall, and also to make a vibration loop in it on engine side of firewall. That way any engine vibration from, say, a lumpy cam doesn't stress the copper tube as bad.

I have a couple electronic ones stashed somewhere around here that I used on my racecars. They're here, just got to locate one. LOL
Old July 17th, 2023, 07:13 AM

That looks like a pretty nice car, like you say, it just needs some TLC. Good luck with getting possesion.

Steve