The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'69 Delta eighty-eight Custom. 455

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2014, 10:42 PM

'69 Delta eighty-eight Custom. 455

the car is original. just under 65k miles. Edelbrock Perf Intake, Demon 650, hei distrib.

Been sitting for about 7 years after my uncle passed away (was his car). The holly fuel pump he had on was leaking, and after ordering three diff pumps through O'reilys and some fitting adjustments/tweaks, I got one installed tonight. (the outlets on the pump for the three lines all face the block and run straight into the frame/crossmember)

I think there is a clog somewhere or a kink maybe in the hard lines somewhere because im not getting fuel from the tank to the pump. If the tank wasn't bone dry it was close so there shouldn't be any gelatin crap in the tank but im waiting to drop it until I absolutely have too.

has anyone ever revived one that's been sitting outside that long?
If anyone can shed a little light on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455.jpg (21.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
I1406667200_resized.jpg (17.3 KB, 12 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DeltaCustom'69
has anyone ever revived one that's been sitting outside that long?
Sure. Usually requires no more than a fresh battery, some penetrating oil in the cylinders in case there is a little rust on the rings, followed a couple of days later by some ATF or motor oil, a tug on the crank bolt with a long breaker bar, to minimize the possibility of breaking rings, perhaps a quick points cleaning or points replacement, a few ounces of gasoline down the carb., screwing the air cleaner back on to prevent backfires, a quick crank, and VROOOOOM!!!!

If the gas tank is dead empty, that would certainly explain a lack of fuel.
If you've put a few gallons in it, then consider porous cracked fuel hoses, or rust pinholes in the steel lines. A holed fuel pump diaphragm is also not out of the question.
Pouring some gas right down the carb. would bypass these issues, and even with a few pinholes, will often pull the fuel past them and get 'er running.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric