The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM

1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site

Hello, My name is Bill also known as Stumpy. I'm from West Michigan and have been in love with the 88's sense I was in my 20's. I have owned 3 67 88's over the years. 1967 Delmont 88 4 door and a 1967 Delta 88 2 door, and NOW a 1967 Delta 88 4 door. What makes me sick about this short story is, when I was "Young & Dumb" I parked the 2 door Delta out behind my X In-Laws and all the windows got broke out and then to the bone yard it went. Makes me sick just to think about it today and I'm 53 years old now. However, I am the proud owner of my new 1967 Delta 88 I just found in Canada. She has many miles on her, over 100,000 but runs great. I've put over 1000 miles on her since I got it home. She's not as sleek looking as a 2 door, but still looks good being a 4 door. This is pretty much a barn find. It sat in a barn for over 11 years and was getting ready to be taken to the bone yard until the guy I bought it from saved the car from being crushed. He put new break lines and shoes on it and fresh gas and parked it for much of the year. He then again drove it 100 miles the following year and his wife said it had to go. I am happy that I was able to grab this car when I did. She has one small rust spot in the trunk whiich is about the size of a half dollar. But was dented on the front fender and passenger door when they were bringing it out of the barn on the rider side but is fixable with little work. Anyway, that's the story on my new find. I'll try to attach a few pics. I believe this is going to be a fun, exciting & informitive site.
Thanks
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1967 Olds Delta 88#1.jpg (64.9 KB, 75 views)
1967 Olds Delta 88.jpg (104.2 KB, 106 views)
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Welcome to the site! Where, exactly, is "west Michigan?" Are you referring to the western part of the Upper Peninsula, or just somewhere along Lake Michigan?

Anyway, your car looks very nice. There are a few of us '67 Delta 88 owners on here. Here's a shot of mine.

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Too start with, man that a nice ride. Wish I had a convertable/2 door too. Very very nice. Actually I am near Grand Rapids/Holland Michigan. Yeah I have been sick over what happened to my Delta 88 years ago and it actually bothers me yet today. It was a nice car, leather seats, air, power everything, to think what that car would be worth today? Anyway, can't cry over it now, so I will just fix this one up as best as I can. In time she will look lots better. I am going to start doing the body in a few weekd as soon as I get all my supplies around. I will take a few more pics before I start and then as I am restoring. I am looking forward in seeing more 67 88's. I was just at a car show this past weekend and I didn't see (1) one Delta or Delmont 88's at the show, so maybe we Delta/Delmont 88 owners can start a showing in the near future.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
I was just at a car show this past weekend and I didn't see (1) one Delta or Delmont 88's at the show, so maybe we Delta/Delmont 88 owners can start a showing in the near future.
It's a general rule that you don't see many Oldsmobiles of any type or year at your local car show or cruise-in. Delmont 88s are even rarer than that as they were made for only two model years.

I was at the 2010 Charleston (West Virginia) Rod Run last October. Great event. Runs all week along the riverfront in downtown Charleston. One of the largest shows I have ever been to. Out of the about 1000 cars there, I counted seven Oldsmobiles, and that included mine. You just don't see them like you do the Chevys and Fords.

Wish I had a convertable/2 door
Your car is nice, too. The four-doors seem to be gaining a following. Even though they are generally not as desirable, they are more rare today. You are to be congratulated for preserving it.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Good to know about the Delmont 88's. I know where a 67 Delmont 88 is that has a little over 30,000 actual miles on it, "So they say". One owner, but the guy wants just a little bit to much for it yet. I'm still working on trying to make a deal on the car, but don't know if I will be able to make it happen. I'll keep ya posted if it does happen.
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Welcome to the site! Glad you have found another 67 Olds.
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Welcome to CO

Nice ride. You seldom see the 4-door hardtops, so you have an unusual ride. They make nice cruisers
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Welcome to CO, Stumpy (were you in that movie with John Wayne? LOL!) Beautiful Delta 4 door. Mo' pictures, and a thread on the restoration would be great! Ironic, at our local Club meeting yesterday (NTOC) one of our Members (and old HS chum of mine) showed up in his original '67 Delta 88 dr HT. As it turns out, this vehicle was purchased by him new, and has been painted twice, that's it. Beautiful car. It is on the cover of Fusick's catalog for the big cars, the white one. I mean this is a 1st place car. I didn't even know he had it. He said it was running a "little hot" yesterday; course the ambient was 103 at the time!!!! Glad you are here.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Welcome to CO, fellow '67 owner!
Glad to see some love for the "more doors" out there.
Here's my '67 Delmont 330

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Welcome to the site Stumpy. Glad you are fond of 88's. We've got a '68 Delmont convertible which is a blast to cruise in. Keep in touch.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:25 AM

1967 Delta 88

Hello All, What a good feeling it is when you get home from work and see so many posts that are warm, encouraging and heart felt. I never knew there was so many 88 fans out here. I thought I would be alone for the love of these heavy crusers. I appreciate all the welcomes and compliments on the new find and can see this is going to be a GREAT site to meet folks with the same interest. I would like to say what a BEAUTIFUL Red Delmont 88 Copper128 has. MAN that is a great looking car. You have to be proud of that one when going down the road. My ole 67 turns a few heads the way it is, I can't imagine what heads turn when people see that one going down the road, WOW. Anyway, as ya'll can see I am excited to have found this site and looking forward in seeing more 88's. As I get started on ole black beauty I will post pics as I go. THANKS A MILLION for the warm welcome.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM

I never knew there was so many 88 fans out here. I thought I would be alone for the love of these heavy crusers.
We're here. We just have to poke our heads up out of the ground every so often, or we get drowned in a sea of Cutlasses!
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM

I am looking for a horn relay for my 67 Delta 88. I know the original is a Standard Ignition Parts HR-122 and the possible crossover could be Fusick R203. Does anyone know what else could or will work in it's place. I am not have any luck finding a replacement that even looks close to what I need. I found one on Ebay for $100 but was hoping something else would work. But the $100 part may be the only way to keep it original? Any ideas???
Thanks
Bill
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:33 AM

LOL... I had a 71 Cutless that too was a beautiful car. One day taking my kids to the lake a women turned in front of me and took it away from me at that instant. Not much left of it after that day. Sad thing is, it didn't have any rust on it anyplace, just a all around great car as well that old Cutlass S.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM

1967 Delta 88

Hello All, What a good feeling it is when you get home from work and see so many posts that are warm, encouraging and heart felt. I never knew there was so many 88 fans out here. I thought I would be alone for the love of these heavy crusers. I appreciate all the welcomes and compliments on the new find and can see this is going to be a GREAT site to meet folks with the same interest. I would like to say what a BEAUTIFUL Red Delmont 88 Copper128 has. MAN that is a great looking car. You have to be proud of that one when going down the road. My ole 67 turns a few heads the way it is, I can't imagine what heads turn when people see that one going down the road, WOW. Anyway, as ya'll can see I am excited to have found this site and looking forward in seeing more 88's. As I get started on ole black beauty I will post pics as I go. THANKS A MILLION for the warm welcome.
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Past Administrator

Stumpy, welcome to CO. Your car is really clean looking and you should be proud to own it. I too am a Delta/Delmont fan, well actually I love 'em all but have a little more affection for those.
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Pics of the NEW Michigan 1967 Olds Delta 88

I'm not positive if I should post pics here in this forum or not. Please let me know if I should post else where.

I thought I would post a few pics showing the damage that was done while they pulled the old girl out of the barn. A little damage to the front fender, door and back Qtr panel. Nothing to bad and can be fixed in a weekend when I get going on it. Len, the guy I bought the car from, the Guardian Angel that saved it from the bone yard, helped prevent the rust from getting worst by spraying black paint on the scratch and dents from the barn move.

The inside is all original cloth/leather/pleather??? It'a a little stained from the mice living in it for over 11 years, but I think I can have it detailed and save the original, if not I am planning to have it redone to as close to original as possible. I am also showing the mouse condo I took out of the blower housing. I think I took as much out of the trunk lid and hood as inside the car. The dash is flawless and intact, no cracks anyplace "NOW" and can only hope nothing happens to change that.

The trunk has the only rust spot on the whole car. Being a Canada car I was very surprised that it ended up being in the condition that it is.
Well I hope everyone enjoys the pics now and as I get going on the restore. I will post more later, but am planning on driving it more then fixing this year, but will keep ya'll posted as I get started on it.

Thanks a million for putting up with me already.
Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0051.jpg (45.8 KB, 66 views)
DSCF0052.jpg (93.7 KB, 64 views)
DSCF0054.jpg (66.7 KB, 68 views)
DSCF0056.jpg (99.0 KB, 77 views)
Mice Nest#1.jpg (62.6 KB, 66 views)
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Thanks Oldsguy, I am proud of it. I can hardly wait to get it really cleaned up to see what kind of attention it will get then. She already turns a few heads the way it is now. Get her dents filled and new paint and a good detailing she will be shining I hope. Might take a little time with everything else going on, but will start on it soon, but plan on driving it alot this summer, prolly more drivin then fixin... lol
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Here are a few more pics of the NEW Michigan 1967 Delta 88
Attached Images
DSCF0055.jpg (48.0 KB, 49 views)
DSCF0057.jpg (84.1 KB, 58 views)
DSCF0058.jpg (91.6 KB, 52 views)
DSCF0053.jpg (72.8 KB, 64 views)
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Looks good. I like that the dealer badge appears to be still attached to the lower left of the trunk lid.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Yes jaunty75 it is still attached. I have not decided if I was going to leave it on or not. Have not really thought that far into it yet.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM

If it were me, I would definitely leave it there!

It's part of the car's "documentation." It's part of the car's history. It shows where it was sold originally. How many of us would give something to know that about our cars? With that kind of information, you might be able to find out who the original purchaser was, especially if that dealer is still in business, even if they don't sell Oldsmobiles anymore, and maybe even contact the original purchaser if they're still alive.

I have no idea where my '67 Delta was originally sold.

What does the badge actually say?

Last edited by jaunty75; July 12th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice car, Stumpy!

I've had '68 88 and 98 4-doors, and loved them both.
Now playing with a '73 Delta.

Best of luck with it!

- Eric
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Aaron, I just actually caught the in the movie with the Duke... lol I wish I was cuz I might have made enough to have a fleet of 88's. Thanks for the comps on the 67 Delta, I sure like it.

[QUOTE=Aron Nance; Stumpy (were you in that movie with John Wayne? LOL!) [/QUOTE]
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If it were me, I would definitely leave it there!

It's part of the car's "documentation." It's part of the car's history. It shows where it was sold originally. How many of us would give something to know that about our cars? With that kind of information, you might be able to find out who the original purchaser was, especially if that dealer is still in business, even if they don't sell Oldsmobiles anymore, and maybe even contact the original purchaser if they're still alive.

I have no idea where my '67 Delta was originally sold.

What does the badge actually say?
jaunty75, here is a picture of the badge just for you. If I'm not mistaken I believe the guy I bought the car from said the other 2 owners are still living. I'll have to drop him a line and ask that question.
Attached Images
DSCF0059.jpg (87.8 KB, 39 views)
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Well here is the update on the owners of my 67 Delta 88. I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought the guy "Len" I bought the car from said all the owners were still living.
I have since learned that the original buyer Mr. & Mrs. Perks are now both gone to visit the lord above. After they passed, the car was parked in a barn for 12 years.

Mel the 2nd owner, of the car and was son-in-law of the original owners from what I understand. Mel, was going to sell the car for scrap metal and was in the process of pulling it out of the barn to sell it for scrap and then "Len" came along. Mel has since moved out West and Len does not know how to get ahold of him.

Len the 3rd owner, heard about the car being sold off for scrap and talked Mel into selling it to him for more then he was going to get out of it from scrap metal. "Len" then took it home and did a little work on it getting it road ready, by putting new breaks and lines. He also sprayed a little black paint on the dents and scratches to help preserve the body. Len said in order to get plates in Canada, It also had to pass the Canada EAP/smoke and smog test.

Now I the 4th owner, will do most of the work restoring the car. I will have the engine work done by a friend of mine and have dual exhaust put on in the spring. I am going to start repainting the engine compartment and cleaning up the inside of the car. I will keep everyone that is interested posted on the progress...

Thanks for looking
Bill

Last edited by Stumpy; July 17th, 2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Spell
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Great story, and thanks for the up-close of the dealer badge!

That's presumably Belleville, Ontario?

Last edited by jaunty75; July 16th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Stumpy:
We're all interested in the restoration of your, or anyone's, Oldsmobile. Really a great story; write it down and keep it with the car. And as Jaunty said, for sure, keep the dealer logo; sure wish I had mine. Best I can do is a key fob from the San Antonio dealer; came with the Silver Bullet when we purchased her from the son of the 2nd owner. That is also a funny story.
Aron
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Yep Jaunty it is Belleville, ON.
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Thanks Aaron. I too would like to see what others are doing. That's what makes this fun, seeing & watching the progress of self & others work on what they love to do. Have any pics to share on your project?
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM

From one B-Body fan to another...welcome to the site. Don't get rid of the dealer badge, thats part of the cars history. Enjoy your ride.
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM

Air Breather Sticker

Hey all, I am looking for the sticker that goes on the side of the Air breather. The sticker that has the "SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS", filter number, and such. I'm not positive what all is on it because I can't make it out. If there is no place to get a sticker, and someone has a really good picture of the side of the breather with the wording that can be read I can make a new one. The one I have is not that good and most of the lettering is gone due to rust/paint peel. I would like to have a new one after I sandblast & repaint mine. Any ideas???
Thank you in advance for any information. I'll attach a picture of what I'm looking for incase I totally screwed up my question.

Thanks again
Stumpy
Attached Images
DSCF0064.jpg (91.3 KB, 20 views)
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM

Thanks Fatratmatt, That seems to be what some others think as well. So I think it's gonna stay on the car. I can hardly wait to get deep into the restore.

Thanks again
Stumpy
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM

Hey all, I am looking for the sticker that goes on the side of the Air breather.
I've been looking for this, too. The problem is that it wasn't originally a sticker, but rather was painted right on the air cleaner. If your air cleaner was ratty and you want to clean it and repaint it the way mine was and the way yours appears to be, you have no choice but to sand it off and paint over it. You would need some kind of stencil to put it back on.

The thing is, I HAVE seen these on restored '67 Delta 88s, so somebody somewhere is able to do this. I haven't yet found out who or where.
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I have a reproduction sticker that i bought from Fusick, but have been reluctant to put it on for the same reason. The white print on clear vinyl just doesn't look right. The original was either stencil painted or maybe silk-screened on. It seems to me that it would look better if the "sticker" was just white computer-cut vinyl on a transfer backing. Dunno if it's available that way, but that would be a better way to go IMO.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:10 AM

Jaunty75 & Cooper128, Thanks for the info. After reading this I took a closer look at the breather and have to agree about it being painted/silk screened on. But I am thinking "IF" I can get a good enough picture of the wording, I can get a stencil made that would have a sticky backing with all the lettering cut out and then it could be stuck on the breather then painted on with a very fine brush or sprayed on with a model paint gun like air brushing, then after paint peel the sticky off. So Cooper128, if you can or do have a good streight on shot of your repo. and can email me a picture of it I will work on making a template. If all goes well, we will have one for all us old(s) guys/gals...

Thanks again in advance
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM

Paint Codes

Anyone have paint codes for the engine and Air breather on the olds 425's H.C. engines? Or is it just GM RED for the engine and ORANGE/RED on the breather. I can't seem to find any paint codes on these items.
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:03 AM

I'm sure there are codes, at least originally, for these colors. But when I went to paint the air cleaner on my '67, I just bought a red that looked as close as possible to the other reds I had seen.

Here's a photo of the engine compartment of a '67 Delta 88 Custom seen at the 2009 Olds Nationals. The car was beautifully restored, but I would argue that the engine compartment is over-restored. I doubt that it came from the factory originally this bright and shiny. I mean, look at that power steering pump and the cowl over the radiator in the far left of the photo. I doubt that either was that shiny when it left the factory.

Also, did the engine and air cleaner match in color this well? Maybe they did. I don't know.

Now here's a photo of the engine compartment in my car after I repainted the air cleaner (and the valve covers). Yes, I know, the engine should not be gold, but the previous owner told me he painted it gold "because he liked the color." I think the red of the air cleaner is close enough to whatever specific red it should be, and it looks fine. I just bought the closest-looking red in a spray paint can for $6.00 at the local Autozone.

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Anyone have paint codes for the engine and Air breather on the olds 425's H.C. engines? Or is it just GM RED for the engine and ORANGE/RED on the breather. I can't seem to find any paint codes on these items.
Fusick's definitely got the right color, it's #EP110S in their catalogue, but I don't know of anyone else who has it.

It's a slightly orange red, not quite the same as other GM reds.
As far as I know, the engine and air cleaner are the same color.

- Eric

Quick Reply: 1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site