The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM

HOLY COW Jaunty75 them engine compartments look great. Man I can only hope I can get mine to look half as good. Eric, thanks for the paint number, I'll check it out as well. Below is some information I found on another web site stating that there is a difference in the engine color and air breather color.

High compression 425s and early 455s were painted red and the air clearners were an orange/red, definately a different shade from the engine. Low compression 425s had black air cleaners.
425 '65 - '67 4.126 3.975 O[,P,R] Red; Toronado is Blue

I think I'm gonna get it as close as I can and call it good. Thank you for sharing your pride Jaunty75 and again Eric, thanks for the number.

Bill AKA Stumpy
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
425Delmont

Hey everyone Im new to the site aswell. I own a 67 delmont 88 4 door. My question is do you know if there is a flasher behind the dashboard in this vehicle? Ive tried looking for it but no luck yet. My turn signals wont flash, so far ive replaced the flasher in the fusebox, turn signal switch, and fuses. Any help is appreciated.
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM

As has been stated on other threads, the flasher on the fuse box is for the flashing 4-way hazard lights that you control with the little push-in/pull-out switch on the right side of the steering column. (By the way, do the 4-ways work?)

The other flasher, which should look identical to the flasher on the fuse box, is under the dash on the left side of the steering column just hanging at the end of a pigtail of wires with a female plug on the end with two openings in an L-shape to match the L-shape of the two prongs on the flasher. You should look for this pigtail as it is possible that your flasher is missing altogether.

As far as where to get a replacement, as one example, Advance Auto Parts has these for about $6.00.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Flasher-BWD_20974293-P_121_R|GRPLAMPAMS_1162975428____

Last edited by jaunty75; July 27th, 2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Grandpasdelmont88, you have any pics of your car? Would like to see the 68 Convert.
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM

My turn signals wont flash, so far ive replaced the flasher in the fusebox, turn signal switch, and fuses. Any help is appreciated.
Have you replaced the bulbs? If they are burned out, they will not blink.
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Where, exactly, is "west Michigan?"
An area in the lower peninsula generally defined by the counties/cities from the Lake Michigan shore south to about Saugatuck, and north to Whitehall...but sometimes as far north to the city of Ludington (depending on who's talking) and inland to Grand Rapids, Mi.
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Juanty75, sorry I never got around to answer your question on "Where is West Michigan"? 1968w3155 did a great job answering it though. I don't believe I could have answered it better because I would have said close to Grand Rapids, Mich. I would have never thought to attempt to break it down as 1968w3155 did.

Stumpy
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
sorry I never got around to answer your question on "Where is West Michigan"?
No problem. I only asked because, leaving aside the Upper Peninsula, Michigan is pretty much a north-south state (very roughly oblong in a vertical direction). In looking at a map of the western side of the lower part of the state, there really is no part of it that is particularly more west than any other part. Perhaps the region between Muskegon and Manistee, but if you drew a straight line between those two cities, the part of Michigan to the west of that line is not very sizeable and hardly big enough to warrant giving it its own "regional" name.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Hi, Stumpy! Great Thread Addition

Great to have yet another BIG Olds owner to the CO Forum!

Another EIGHTEEN foot long car! Yeah!

Back in 1967 I was driving a Ninety-Eight LS, and I got a Delmont 4 door post for my wife to haul 3 kids, do shopping, and run our home because I was out on the road doing my selling deal. I drove about 80,000 miles a year and ALWAYS drove 98's as it was the BEST car for over the road long trips. The Delmont was a great choice for my wife's around the town driving as it was 4" shorter than my '98."
__________________________________________________ _________

Here is a picture of my "Blue Belle's" engine bay. I am the second owner of this Jetstar 88.

....motor.jpg

As you can see, almost NOTHING has been done to the engine bay! Just the radiator cap!

It's 46 years old and has been driven 56,000 miles. The 330 motor is still the ORIGINAL Olds Gold and the air cleaner housing is the ORIGINAL Olds red/orange paint. It will be redone with the same colors. I have the Eastwood's Oldsmobile Gold Engine Paint, and I think Fusick has the red/orange spray paint. The original black paint is a satin paint with a shiny finish. Eastwood Satin will be close to the original black.

Good luck with you new project! You're a young guy and have plenty of time to do your resto!

--Don
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM

I like your engine compartment! You see so many of them that are so clean you could eat off of any surface. Yours is clean but definitely in use, which is the way it should be!
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
But I am thinking "IF" I can get a good enough picture of the wording, I can get a stencil made that would have a sticky backing with all the lettering cut out and then it could be stuck on the breather then painted on with a very fine brush or sprayed on with a model paint gun like air brushing, then after paint peel the sticky off. So Cooper128, if you can or do have a good streight on shot of your repo. and can email me a picture of it I will work on making a template.
Stumpy,

I finally found a photo that may be of help to you. Below is a close-up photo of what was printed on the side of the air cleaner on my car before I repainted it.

The story goes like this. When I bought my car, it had a non-Olds air cleaner on it. I have no idea why, and the previous owner didn't know either. He had had the car only two years, and it had the wrong air cleaner when he bought it.

Anyway, I wanted a correct air cleaner, and it so happened that I was able to attend the 2009 Olds Nationals in Pennsylvania. A guy there had a proper air cleaner, except that it was for a low-compression 425, which is why it was black. But it was correct for the 2-bbl carburetor and fit just fine on the car. All it needed was to be painted red.

So that's what I did, but I knew that painting it would destroy the decal on the side, so I took a photo of it for posterity, figuring that there might come a time when I would want to know what it looked like and what it said. Then I promptly forgot where I had stored the photo.

I searched high and low on my computer for this photo, and I finally found it. I don't know that it has on it the proper numbers for a high compression engine, but at least you know what the layout of it was like and can substitute the correct numbers if you can find out what they are. They may very well be correct for the high-compression engine as well.

In fact, in searching the online parts sites, the distinction I've seen in air filter elements for this car is two- or four-barrel carb at rockauto.com, or manual or automatic transmission at autozone.com. No one makes a distinction between low or high-compression engine, so I'm guessing the A124CW part number is correct. I don't know what the "6421925" on the left side means. I'm not sure the first digit is a 6. It looks like it could also be an 8.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 29th, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM

No problem. I only asked because, leaving aside the Upper Peninsula, Michigan is pretty much a north-south state (very roughly oblong in a vertical direction). In looking at a map of the western side of the lower part of the state, there really is no part of it that is particularly more west than any other part. Perhaps the region between Muskegon and Manistee, but if you drew a straight line between those two cities, the part of Michigan to the west of that line is not very sizeable and hardly big enough to warrant giving it its own "regional" name
It's not official in any manner, just a geographical reference of the area. It may of actually come from the area tv stations as a means of describing the coverage of their news. Of course when asked "where in Michigan are you from" we are obligated to hold up our hand and point to the area that we are located.
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Stumpy, going to the Whitehall/Montague cruise tonight? 500 cars last year! A decent show in Hart tomorrow, about 100 or so cars, will be taking my car and my buddies '68 442.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Stumpy,

I finally found a photo that may be of help to you. Below is a close-up photo of what was printed on the side of the air cleaner on my car before I repainted it.
The air cleaner decal on my car was long gone! I've been trying to find a picture of the decal that goes on the side of the air cleaner. I can get the missing "Ultra-High Compression" plate that goes on top of the air-cleaner cover from Fusick.

If I can get a photo of one I think I can duplicate it. I'm good with Photo Shop. You can get clear decal stock to print it on.

So much to do, So few hours!

--Don
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM

I found another photo of this air cleaner online just now. It was posted with an auction on ebay for a '67 Olds with a 425. It's not a real close view, but it does show the number along the left side 6422603, and it shows the same air filter element, A124CW.

I'm guessing the 6421925 on the left side of the black air cleaner I posted earlier refers to the air cleaner for the low-compression engine, which is what that air cleaner is off of.

Old July 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
It's not official in any manner, just a geographical reference of the area. It may of actually come from the area tv stations as a means of describing the coverage of their news. Of course when asked "where in Michigan are you from" we are obligated to hold up our hand and point to the area that we are located.
Never thought if it this way. But you are probably correct in the TV Stations using it as a reference for coverage. Thanks for getting me on the path of understanding where I'm from. Also like the pointing of the hand method. Been from Michigan all my life and never used that...
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
The air cleaner decal on my car was long gone! I've been trying to find a picture of the decal that goes on the side of the air cleaner. I can get the missing "Ultra-High Compression" plate that goes on top of the air-cleaner cover from Fusick.

If I can get a photo of one I think I can duplicate it. I'm good with Photo Shop. You can get clear decal stock to print it on.

--Don
Hello Don, I am attempting to do the same thing with getting a "Template" made so we can paint the wording on instead of using a sticker. With the heat being produced from the engines a decal may over time start to peel off? May or may not, this could be why all were painted on the air breathers back in the day. If we knew for sure if the 330's had the same kinda wording, I can check with the shop to see if they can just change some numbers and cut them out. If they can do what we want, we will have "Templates" for the L.C. & H.C. Engines. We would just need to find out what the numbers were to the far left of the instructions.

Bill
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Stumpy, going to the Whitehall/Montague cruise tonight? 500 cars last year! A decent show in Hart tomorrow, about 100 or so cars, will be taking my car and my buddies '68 442.
Would love to go, but already have plans with my son going to the races to watch the pros run at Redbud Saturday. But being from Muskegon I am sure we will run across each other at a local show sometime this year of next. Will have to keep in touch. Thanks for the info on the show. I am excited in meeting more folks from the Olds population.

Thanks
Bill
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ddbord

--Don
Nice car Don. I don't remember for sure, but I believe I had a 64 Jetstar for a short time when I was about 25 yrs old. Someone had put a floor shift in the car and it was not in bad shape. I sold it to my brother in law who needed a car which in turn tore it up then was junk. Yours looks very clean.

Thanks for sharing
Bill
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:11 AM

Fixin the lumps and bumps

Hello everyone. Well I got started on doing a little body work on the old girl this past week. Now I am not a professional body man by no means, but she looks better then she did the week before as for no dents. The primer don't look that great the way I have it on there, but it's only temporary. The whole car will get premiered and painted next year, but for now this is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0077.jpg (54.4 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0076.jpg (102.0 KB, 22 views)
DSCF0075.jpg (57.7 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0079.jpg (100.3 KB, 23 views)
DSCF0078.jpg (54.7 KB, 18 views)
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM

You've done a very good job! Please come and do my car.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Stumpy, going to the Cars for Cancer show out at Mercy's campus on Harvey St. Monday? There is also a show at Ross Park on Sunday.
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You've done a very good job! Please come and do my car.
Thanks Jaunty75, appreciate the comps. Like I said good enough for who its for untill the black goes back on, then I will prolly think other wise??? But running my hand down the side closing the eyes I don't feel anything, so I think I may be OK? But will see later on... LOL
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM

Stumpy, going to the Cars for Cancer show out at Mercy's campus on Harvey St. Monday? There is also a show at Ross Park on Sunday.
Thanks for the Invite, but unfortunatly I will not be able to make it this year cuz I'm flying out to California to visit my Daughter who is in the Marine Corps getting ready to ship out to Afganistan. After the visit with her I will be riding my Harley back to Michigan so I will not be in the area to go to any shows this year. I will plan on next year thou...
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Giving the Old Girl a face lift

Hello all. Well little by little the old girl is getting a new face lift. The rider side is done good enough to paint and now I am working on rear trunk lid. Starting the driver side and hood this week, and by the weather reports working in a cold garage is probably going to come to an end very soon. I was hoping to have the car under primer for the winter, but not sure it's going to get done as of now. I am only doing small sections and so I decided to just spray bomb it with primer filler from the can, but will give it one good coat of primer in the spring so to be sure I have a good even cover coat. But here are a few pics of the progress so far. Nothing big, but am plugging away. Thanks for looking. Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0104.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)
DSCF0103.jpg (48.6 KB, 16 views)
DSCF0105.jpg (43.7 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0102.jpg (45.1 KB, 15 views)
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Looks good. It's always nice to be making progress. Thanks for posting the photos.
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks Jaunty75. Progress is slow due to the room or lack of it and just able to work on it in the mornings. Can hardly wait until paint goes on cuz then I will feel i got something done on it then. Looking at "Black Pearl or Black Walnut Pearl" Urethane paint to go back on. Have not decided to which one as of yet. Prolly leaning toward black pearl?
Thanks
Bill
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Here are a few pics of all the battle scars the old girl has from the road. Man I didn't know there was so many stone chips in the paint until I started sanding. I guess you don't really see the stuff when your not looking for it I suppose. I hope to have it under primer this weekend and find a place to store it for the winter.
Attached Images
DSCF0110.jpg (66.2 KB, 18 views)
DSCF0111.jpg (66.1 KB, 21 views)
DSCF0112.jpg (72.7 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0113.jpg (63.8 KB, 20 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Engine Paint

Hello Everyone.

Well I stopped working on the body cuz I got it all primered and pretty much ready for paint in the spring and decided to work on the engine compartment. It's not a pro job, but done the hillbilly way, and looks OK for who it's for. Here are a few pics of before and after. Still have some things to do, like change plugs/wires/cap/rotor/hose or two and a new fan belt. Then I think I'm gonna store it for the winter and start on it again in the spring.
Everyone have a good day.

Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0053.jpg (72.8 KB, 23 views)
DSCF0120.jpg (58.1 KB, 25 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Beautiful job!
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looks like them hillbillies do a good job!

- Eric
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Thank you jaunty75 & MDchanic.

Like I said it's not show quality, but it's not going to be a show car either, but may go to a few shows next year. However, the engine cleaned up well and the rest didn't do so bad either it all cleaned up nicely. Just found a local guy that will do the inside of the car for me and is cheaper then most everyone around. I also talked with a few guys that had there street rods done by him and they said he does a great job and is cheap, so maybe I'll get more done this fall that I think?

Thanks again, the nice words are encouraging to keep going.

Bill
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Well here are a few more pics of the car in full primer and a few more of the engine bay area. The natural sun light sure makes the colors come out much better then the camera flash does. I still need to re-route some wires/hoses on the driver side, but that will wait to be done in the spring. I also need to get a new D-shape valve cover grommet for my PCV valve. Hope next time I post anything on here about my Delta 88 it will be painted and inside done.
The Hiller is done working on the ole girl until next year. Everyone have a good holiday and don't eat to much.

Bill
Attached Images
DSCF0125.jpg (57.7 KB, 19 views)
DSCF0121.jpg (69.1 KB, 23 views)
DSCF0123.jpg (83.5 KB, 26 views)
DSCF0124.jpg (88.6 KB, 28 views)
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM

A. Your engine compartment is beautiful.

B. Your car looks better in primer than mine does painted!
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:06 AM

Jaunty75 you're crazy, but very kind. I do appreciate the nice words, but I still have your 67 as my background. I really like the car and it being a 2 door Convert is a plus. I would like to find me a 2 door next, but all in good time. That red/maroon Delmont 330 Cooper has is a really nice car too. I actually have both cars on my background, both are exceptional looking cars.
Like I was saying I'm all done posting pics for the year and ready to find a place to park the Ole girl until spring. Have a happy & safe holiday.

Bill

Last edited by Stumpy; November 20th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:03 AM

Thumbs up 67 delta Fan

Glad to see I'm not the only one that love the delta
Attached Images
IMAG0213.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)
10-4E9A40E1-1370009-960.jpg (13.1 KB, 23 views)
IMAG0015.jpg (94.2 KB, 22 views)
IMAG0215.jpg (57.0 KB, 22 views)
IMAG0238.jpg (48.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by akins2000; January 23rd, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Wow!!! What a beautiful car

Akins2000 what a BEAUTIFUL Delta Convert you have. I like that car. Man, that is one sharp car. I am working on clinching a deal on a 67 Delmont 88 2 door currently but it's not a DONE DEAL until we sign the paperwork. I hope someday to have a Delta and Delmont. The Delmont I'm looking at needs a little body work but so did my Delta when I got it. Hope to make it look as good as Coopers Delmont but am undecided about color as yet IF I do end up getting it. But you have one sharp Delta. Did you do the work on the car or when you bought it was it a turn key ride? Whoever did the work did a very nice job on it.
Welcome to the site.
Bill AKA Stumpy
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks, I done the work myself the car was in ok shape. Believe it or not I got the car from a 17 year old. He told me the car is a old person car. So I gave him a 1987 cutlass for it.
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by akins2000
Thanks, I done the work myself the car was in ok shape. Believe it or not I got the car from a 17 year old. He told me the car is a old person car. So I gave him a 1987 cutlass for it.
I must say you do nice work. As for the trade, I wish I could find a trade like that. Not many 17 year olds driving around in a 67 Olds 88, what a STEAL...
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM

Got My Delmont 88 2 door hardtop

Hello All. Just wanted to give an update on my looking for a 67 Delmont 88 2 door hardtop. Well I found one and picked it up. I had to travel to BFE to get it or at least it felt like I had to. The old girl was in Greenbush MN. and from Michigan it felt like E-TER-NAT-Y... I'll post a few pics of the find so you can see the old girl as she stands now. The guy I bought it from owned it for 22 years, had plans to restore it but is getting to old to take on that kind of job. So it's time she finally gets that face lift. Maybe not this year but will get it next year. As for my other project the Delta 88, I have just started on the door jams scrapping/sanding and primer and paint, I will post some pics of that soon. I feel guilty that I have not had much time to start on the Delta 88 until now. I should have been done with the door jams by now, but will get them done within the next few weeks.
Attached Images
DSCF0129.jpg (77.5 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0130.jpg (49.7 KB, 21 views)
DSCF0131.jpg (75.5 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0132.jpg (78.3 KB, 20 views)
DSCF0133.jpg (66.9 KB, 19 views)

Quick Reply: 1967 Delta 88 Newbie To the Site