citcapp's 48 Olds project with 455

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Good point, but does a six pack, a grinder, and a welder work well together?
That depends on the order of usage and your expected outcome...
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Sho is warmer in de kitchen than de garage dis maw'in. A few Snow flakes here and there.

Citcapp you'll be happy to see we have a new 50 98 from NM on board CO.

Rob if you this Texas is bad when then get an occasional snow fall. Come to Atlanta. One snow flake and the whole city rushes out to my eggs, bread and milk. Its' like "War of the Worlds."
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Rob if you this Texas is bad when then get an occasional snow fall. Come to Atlanta. One snow flake and the whole city rushes out to my eggs, bread and milk. Its' like "War of the Worlds."
What a bunch of....

I saw pics on the news of everybody licking the snowflakes out of the air in Houston.
A few words of advice for you winter precipitation amateurs....

DON"T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW!.
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Going to Harbor freight to pick up some Christmas presents then to the garage, weld, grind, weld, sand, prime, then do it some more. Can you guys still write your name in the snow. You know what I mean
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Going to Harbor freight to pick up some Christmas presents then to the garage, weld, grind, weld, sand, prime, then do it some more. Can you guys still write your name in the snow. You know what I mean
I can only sign "Al" normally.

But after a "few" beers I can sign my full first, last, middle and confirmation names....plus "Junior" on the end.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

A man of many talents!!!
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Update,

The floor pans are in and welded. Finsihed last weekend. Grinding without face shield (dumb) off to the eye doctor to get metal shavings out of eye. Won't do that again seeing as how I only have one eye anyway.

Well be getting my flat top KB866 pistons and rings in the mail in the next couple of days This should yeild about 10.5 or higher compression. Last thing to buy is the Roller cam and lifters, this is where I need a little input. In my 455 build in my 57 Olds I used a Comp cam 42-423-9 roller cam set up with the turbo 400 setup and it worked out great (see) attahced specs.

In this build I am looking for a little more get up and go and I will be using a 5-speed stick setup. Vaccum is not an issue as I will be using a standard Disc brake setup. So all you cam guys offer up your opinions

Once the cam is picked out off to the machine shop off it goes. While it's away body will be clean of all the surface rust and priming and paint prep begains.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Comp Cam.pdf (68.3 KB, 32 views)
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Geeze

I hope your ok.

I am going to send you a pair of safety glasses.
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Geeze

I hope your ok.

I am going to send you a pair of safety glasses.
I have safty glasses and face shields just have to be smart enough to use them. I'll not forget them again.
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM

smarts a bit when you forget them don' it?!
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Registered Luser

Come on now Pat!

Pat, no safety glasses!!!!What is it with you old dudes? Reminds me of the guys who wear a mask when they are painting, and cut a little hole in it for the cigarette to hang out!!!!

Hopefully you're OK!
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Pat, i hope you are okay... I know I do not like wearing those things as I can hardly see out of them, but like they say, foresight is better than no sight.
Get well soon , please be careful from now on, and continue on the car - hope it will be done by summer!

BTW, what's this thing about just one eye anyway??

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 9th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM

The cam sounds fine and should work good with that compression. It should still have decent vacuum. So good luck on your car.
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Texas Jim

I know that you don't want to hear people raggin' on you about the "safety first" rule, etc. But it is good f/ your health in the long run to be safe as you work.
Had a friend who was a real motor head, like some of us were, back in High School. He would stop by the body shop if he had another coat to shoot on a car, ie; on a Friday or Saturday night, and shoot the paint quickly in his good clothes, no mask or anything, only the paint booth ventilation system on. When we'd smoke some pot afterwards, or later on that night, this was in 1970-'71, he'd cough up some junk from his sinuses that was the color of whatever paint he had shot just prior. We would laugh at the time, as kids, not thinking that it may kill him in later years.
From my injuries, thank God not too many or too severe, w/ the exception of a broken hip-not my fault unless you call trusting someone being a safety violation, over the years, I've learned to use the appropriate safety gear when it's needed. IMO, if you're not one to use safety equipment/items, one good accident will change your mind.
PLEASE use safety glasses!

I wrote this because "I care!!!"

Last edited by Texas Jim; January 11th, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM

1st Class of AutoBody repair shop, teacher harped on about safety glasses. Went home after that class, fired up the compressor, put the small 90 degree grinder on the air hose to grind something, and the disc flew off, right across the corner of my eye, and the eyeball itself. Cut the skin, and had blood vessels showing on the ball! SCARED ME TO DEATH! Never, ever have I done anything on the Silver Bullet repair since, w/o having those safety glasses on. Have extras in case someone is around watching my work. Yes, use whatever safety items are suggested/required when working on your Oldsmobile. Hope you are OK after the doctor's visit.
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Finally made the last dicision on the 455 which was the cam choice.

I am going with an Erson roller cam with morel roller lifters. I am also changing the springs on the Edelbrock heads to handle the added lift this cam will provide. It is a 4-7 swap custom grind. and will work really well with the flat to KB pistons. the engine will run on pump gas. The machine shop I use is in the process of moving so it will be awhile before they can get to the build. I will post all of the spec's on the build soon.

The body work is on hold while my eye is healing. Hope to restart in a couple of weeks.

Has anybody tried the New Edelbrock RPM air gap Oldsmobile 455 intake manifold? I cannot find any information at all on it. Is it even being sold yet?
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Has anybody tried the New Edelbrock RPM air gap Oldsmobile 455 intake manifold? I cannot find any information at all on it. Is it even being sold yet?

Not until next month. I havnt herd of anyone with one yet. But ED website says feb.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....The body work is on hold while my eye is healing.

Citcapp..... what did you do to your eye???
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Sandy,
Scroll up. Pat messed up not wearing his safety glasses and hurt it last week.
I was hoping it would be better by now.
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well, that's terrible. That happens to Larry and the guys once in a while. They're running those big grinding machines - coolant spewing in the air, and the occasional steel chip.... ouch! I hope your eye gets better soon, Citcapp!
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that Pat. Hope your eye gets better soon.

Sounds like the motor is going to be real sweet.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:30 AM
t42

I dont want to jack your thread, but Im thinking of the 455 swap into my 60 Olds 88. This is my first Olds project and was wondering how big of a deal it was to put it in your 57?
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM

See you introduction thread. I gave you some information there on the swap I did on my 57 Olds. I have pictures and drawings I can send you if you want just PM me you e-mail address
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM

I have a Chevy version of your Olds, mine is a "42 but it has an Olds motor only a 350 for now. I love your car ,mine won't be finished for along time but it is a driver. I put a '74 Nova front clip and rear end in mine. I love the 40's GM's. Keep up the good work and I hope your eye is better, that is scary!
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM

They are always a work in progress. My 48 is on hold for awhile until I amass more funds. Tight work market right now and other things are higher on the list of must do's
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM

I was hoping you were gonna say you had just finished the '48...
Go pick some fruit from the money tree out back and continue the wrenchin'!
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM

I just went through this whole thread, I have only seen the car in your profile picture until now. Its a nice car and is going to be fun to drive. We are gonna have to set up a race against my 62 f-85 once they are both done. I dont know if I could hang with your 48 with that kind of hp especially if your going to run nitrous but it would be a fun race.

Last edited by young olds; September 12th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Just posted a couple of pictures of the engine in the big block forum. The economy slowed my build to a crawl plus I am traveling a lot for work but will start back on the build this weekend. going to install the TKO 600 to the engine and do a test fit in the 48 so I can figure out the tunnel as the 48 has a flat floor it will have to be cut and custom fitted. I will start a picture thread in a week or so. Yes it will be fun to meet at the drags and do some racing which I haven't done in 45 years. I would guess that I will be a little rusty.
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM

beautiful car, citcapp! makes me want to go back to the place I got my '60 from & ****** up his '49 too! http://www.atozautosalesva.com/vehic...obile-76.shtml
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Unhappy You think you're slow

[QUOTE=citcapp;321479]Just posted a couple of pictures of the engine in the big block forum.... but will start back on the build this weekend. going to install the TKO 600 to the engine and do a test fit in the 48 so I can figure out the tunnel as the 48 has a flat floor it will have to be cut and custom fitted. I will start a picture thread in a week or so...

Hi Pat,
Maybe it is a North West thing, but my 47 Convertible build is going even slower than your 48 build. I believe we have the corner on Slow. I've just been reading your entire thread and it resembles my progress or lack of it. My excuse was finishing the 10 year "36 Vette" project ( 36 Chevy Sedan with Corvette suspension, engine, trans and 58 tail lights). One darn thing after another and then finally got the 36 on the road about a month ago.

The 47 Olds though doesn't look much different than the picture I took four years ago when it was drug home from S. Oregon. I worked on it while the 36 was out for paint and then for upholstery. However engine, trans and rear end have all been built (455, 700R4 and 67 GTO respectively) and test fit. Rear end is in. I'm wiring now and starting the hydraulics for the top. No hydraulics at all included in the sale but at least good top irons. I put bigger calipers and rotors on the MII front and rebuilt the 69 Chevy tilt column that came with it. Brakes are a 90 degree offset from a 73 Ford Econoline Van so they're under the dash. I kept the cowl vent but put a little electric motor on it so it will raise/lower with momentary switch. A fun little sub project. Like you I have lots of hours patching floorboards in front. Lots of months gathering parts which are hard to find in good condition, particularly for convertibles.

I totally understand the work situation as most of my close relatives are in construction trades and almost all of them have suffered lay offs, part time work etc. When you gotta cut back, the luxuries like hot rods and heated work space get put on hold. I think this is about the 4th year of slowdown in building. Longer than any I remember before. I hope it picks up for you and others soon.
Jerry
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Jerry,

It drives me nuts to walk out to the garage and see the 48 just setting there, but I do have most all of the parts collected. Just missing things like a gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines and lost of small fasteners. I just keep plugging away at it. We'll have to meet somewhere when we get them on the road

Pat
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Some 48 parts sources

Pat, I'd like to see your 48 at some point. I like looking at cars while in the build stage to see how different people do things and to improve how I do them. Once they're done so much is covered up.

Re. parts you have left to get: I got my gas tank at Tanks Inc. Part B1-A 51-53 Buick gas tank (fills on drivers side) and make sure they ship mounts with it. Also part B1-S2 GM style fuel sender, 3/8" pickup tube 0-30 Ohm. I think I had to order the filler tube as well since none came with the 47. No one seems to make a tank specifically for Olds of our vintage but this one fit OK on my model 66. I used some all-thread to make longer bolts for the mount straps they sent.

I made up my own fuel line and brake lines with stuff from local NAPA store. I thought about getting a fancy bender but just got a few short pieces of pipe in various sizes ( at least two of ea. size) and put them in the vise and got nice bends with no crimps. Double flaring brake tube is always a challenge for me but I got through it finally. Used 3/8 brake line for fuel line where I could make straight runs along inner frame and regular flexible fuel hose for the rest.

Jerry
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for the fuel tank part numbers that helps a lot. If you ever in the Seattle are drop me a line and we'll meet up. Likewise if I am going to be down in your area

Pat
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM

I now have the TKO 600 5-speed mounted to the 455 progress is finally started. I will test fit this next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1237.jpg (61.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1238.jpg (64.3 KB, 47 views)
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Bet you can't wait for this weekend. Vera nice set up.
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
car guy

This is going to be such a fun car.
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM

After watching your build thread Richard I have a long way to go. Lets see the directions say match part A to Part B use bolt #1 and nut #2 then...........................
Old November 28th, 2016, 03:32 PM
car guy

Pat I hope someone gets the car and finishes to your vision. RIP buddy
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by gearheads78
pat i hope someone gets the car and finishes to your vision. Rip buddy
x2
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:15 AM