1968 442 Sport Coupe Restoration

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2020, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by maddoctor

Plastic blast media all over

Clean canvas

The doors
A great piece of Oldsmobile history lost !
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:06 PM

hear that!!

Wow, still waiting for the restoration shop to start on my quarter panels. They have twelve cars in the que, mine is number 5. I called another shop today and they have two cars leaving this week, and an open spot. They do good work, Porsche, Mercedes, older stuff, no new stuff, and no insurance work, all hand done with English wheels and such. When I toured the shop I could eat off the floor or any other surface there. I may move my shell, it hasn't been touched since January 27th.
Time will tell but I do want to drive my car soon. At the start of this I gave it two years but that was not counting one year sitting in a shop with nothing being done to it. Don't get me wrong I don't want to rush this but I want to have it worked on. Sorry folks just venting out loud.
yeah Vince you dont want to end up like me, forever and ever... did the other shop say when they would start before you took it in? if the price is right and your happy with facility you have every right to move it over , squeeky wheel gets the oil
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:41 PM

Well the new restoration shop got my car on Thursday and already they have stripped the factory coating off the exterior floor. The original black paint and willow gold overspray is very clear and very clean the floor and braces are very clean and rust free. The shop owner is very happy with the lack of rust and a bit surprised.
The first shop only blasted the outside, so the inside and exterior floor were not touched, so the new shop had to hand scrape the floor, but the results were worth it. He also wanted to see what the factory paint looked like so he could reproduce the overspray and the black paint. They use epoxy primer on everything and I don't think I will require the rust proof/ sound proof coating as it will not be driven in rain, never mind winter.
The shop has 2 1960's vintage Porsche's in there and they are finished and BEAUTYFUL. The lines are dead on the gaps are perfect, they are better than when they left Germany!!!
I have full trust in Roberto and his team, their abilities and knowledge. As I get pics I will send them along, it is now getting exciting as I can see progress already! What a difference, a big shop may do good work, and win awards and acclaim in the industry, but the small shop can get the same result, but do it much more efficiently as they work on the car continuously without distraction or interruption.
With any luck I will be driving my 442 before summers end. Here's hoping!!!
Everyone stay safe and listen to the scientists and medical professionals not the hair brains with ideas that don't make any logical sense.

Vince

Last edited by maddoctor; May 26th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:47 PM

History is never lost, it is always recorded and there for the reminiscing and revisiting. The doors may look different but they are still the same doors. What good would these 2 mint doors be, sitting in a basement, or some warehouse? They have allowed a classic car to be whole and live on for another 50 or more years, isn't that the purpose of our hobby?
Yes Eddie, I pulled the car, when I went to pick up my car my 4x4 dolly was broken and the shell was 2- 3 inches from sitting on the floor. Each of my casters were worth 80 dollars, the whole thing was bolted together with 3/8 threaded rod and was crossed braced. There is no way that dolly would have broken under the weight of the shell, I feel the shop was less than careful to say the least. This new shop is careful and respectful of mine and all the other car owners property. They treat the vehicles as their own, that's what I want, besides the shop is 5 minutes from my home.

Last edited by maddoctor; May 26th, 2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 28th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Just so everyone knows, I purchased the Berejik doors while they were for sale on eBay. The opportunity was there for anyone, but according to the seller, no one else was interested. Therefore they are MY doors on MY car. Therefore they are My doors to do what I want to do with what I want. I do not tell anyone else what to do with their cars or parts, I don't expect anyone to tell me what to do with my car! If you don't have positive words, don't post on the site, period. There are other places to post negative comments on the internet, go there.

Old May 28th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Jeff

Just so everyone knows, I purchased the Berejik doors while they were for sale on eBay. The opportunity was there for anyone, but according to the seller, no one else was interested. Therefore they are MY doors on MY car. Therefore they are My doors to do what I want to do with what I want.
Bingo. I might've been one of the guys that made a comment about hoping you would keep the doors original (maybe in another thread?), but unless you were doing a tribute car to the original, it doesn't make any sense. What is cool is that you are using those doors that no one else otherwise wanted, you're keeping the glass from them, and you have the documentation and provenance that proves their history. This would be a great story to have on show boards if you ever plan on showing the car, and also makes for a great story for YOU and any future owners of the car (whether it be your kids or someone else).
Old May 30th, 2020, 01:54 PM

Well after roughly a week and a half the restoration shop I moved my car to has made great progress and is doing great work. The owner/body man is extremely thorough and doesn't miss a beat. He has kept me informed every step of the way and points this out that most people would think unimportant, but he wants me to feel at ease with what he is doing, every step of the way. I have included a few pics I took today, drivers quarter off, new trunk lid on and drivers door on, just for test fit and quarter panel alignment. The drivers side cowl will be installed after all the panels line up. The shell is on the jig and all lined up, no issues with twisted body. Here are the photos.

Old June 1st, 2020, 07:42 AM

Just so everyone knows, I purchased the Berejik doors while they were for sale on eBay. The opportunity was there for anyone, but according to the seller, no one else was interested. Therefore they are MY doors on MY car. Therefore they are My doors to do what I want to do with what I want. I do not tell anyone else what to do with their cars or parts, I don't expect anyone to tell me what to do with my car! If you don't have positive words, don't post on the site, period. There are other places to post negative comments on the internet, go there.

It is sad folks sit behind a keyboard and try and scramble your eggs, say crap over the internet that they wouldn't say to your face, I respect the history of the doors, but at the end of the day, they are doors, its not the car, its not the history of the car, time marches on, and they will ( as was said) live again. They are your doors vince, and as you rightfully state its your car, carry on my friend I am enjoying the hell out of your thread, and I for one wont tell you how to spend your money, ( i wont tell myself how to spend my money as my wife tells me lol) NUFF ABOUT THIS TOPIC, i AM SURE YOU HAD ENOUGH GRIEF,

good deal on moving her to the new shop, seems like these guys have their act together, rock on brother
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:53 AM

Thank you Eddie, this shop is spot on, advising me every step of the way. My good friend has a car in the other shop, three years now, still not done. The new body shop calls me twice or three times a day.
How is your car proceeding? Again thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by maddoctor; June 2nd, 2020 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Correct a word.
Old June 1st, 2020, 12:23 PM

I'm glad the new shop seems to be the complete opposite of the first shop, hopefully you'll be into reassembly soon! And thanks for continuing to post your progress photos, always enjoy watching that.

Anybody who felt strongly about preserving those doors had the opportunity to do so - your approach is the logical one in my mind. I've watched people buy complete vintage cars in fair to good condition, then dismantle them and resell as parts for profit. Hard to watch, but they do become a source of quality parts to bring numerous other cars back to life.

About 10 years ago, a 1938 prototype VW Bug was located and purchased by private restorers. The internet world thought they could dictate what the car's owners "MUST" do with the car (preserve, restore, customize, etc) but of course it boiled down to "our car, our money"...as it should. That car wound up as an outstanding restoration/rebuild to original specifications...but my point is that there will always be people who feel they can dictate what someone else "must" do with their property. Water off the duck's back...I'm looking forward to following your progress to completion.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 07:32 AM

Thank you Eddie, this shop is spot on, advising me every step of the way. My good friend has a car in the other shop, three years now, still not done. The new body shop calls me twice or three times a day.
How is your car proceeding? Again thank you for the kind words.
Vince It is at least moving forward, LOL.. I am at the moment doing unsexy, mundane restoration of small assemblies, I have completed the core support, now working on the headlight assemblies for the core support, pedals and linkages etc. and gearing up to do some repairs to the fenders and fit them before I do the final body work, priming and blocking. I wish I could have found a body shop that 1, I could trust, 2. can afford, and 3 close by. I am a bit torn on how to proceed regarding final painting, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 07:59 AM

Wow, you sound as is if you are coming to the home stretch. It must be nice to be at that point. The little stuff eats all the time up, but when it's done it feels good to look at the finished items.
When I took my car apart I cleaned and painted the parts that were, not new, or not going to be replaced. Those little rubber and plastic items that deteriorate after 53 years get expensive and have to be replaced Hopefully we will both have our cars at the 2021 Olds Nationals.
Keep plugging at it, I have some small items to take care of today that were always a bother when the car was together, so I want to get them worked out now while it is apart and easy to work on.
Take care and work safe.
Old June 12th, 2020, 04:47 PM

Restoration shop

Well I have gone by the shop this week, he is working at cleaning the interior of the trunk and passenger area floor pan as the previous owner coated it in a very thick and strong bed liner like coating. A real bitc.. to remove, prevented rust but can't paint over it. The outer wheel well and fender were mocked up and fit great, no mods or massaging required. Once the driver side is done permanently, this week I hope, the passenger side will be removed and new panels placed on that side. He did say the trunk drop off panels had a bit of extra material on them but that allows for fixing them better as its easier to remove material than it is to add, the old carpenters rule...measure twice cut once. Anyhow, I will add pics as I get progress. My buddy was so impressed he brought his 67 nova ss to this shop for a repaint.
To all, take care and stay safe and be nice to each other.
Vince.

Last edited by maddoctor; June 13th, 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old June 14th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Nice Vince I know about cleaning gunk my car only had undercoating and seam sealer took weeks of wire wheeling scraping sanding and cursing miserable effing job
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:59 AM

Well here are a few more pics of the restoration progress. It is now taking shape and looks a bit like a car again. the drivers side outer wheel well, drop off and quarter panel are on and lined up with the trunk and door, all spot welded. Next will be the passenger side and lead work on required surfaces. I am really pleased with the work done and time frame. Fingers crossed I will have it back in Sept or Oct. but I am not rushing him.

Old June 27th, 2020, 06:29 AM

. Next will be the passenger side and lead work on required surfaces.
That's the way to do it!!!
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:22 AM

Nice!!! Looks Great Vince, looking forward to the leading pictures, I thought about lead for the weld seams on my project but I have never leaded anything, and was advised that todays waterproof fg fillers are sufficient? IDK, lol... anyway is that a goodmark quarter?
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:38 AM

I believe so, they are from Fusick and they fit real good, a bit of extra material to fit as required.
Old July 7th, 2020, 06:38 PM

The body shop has cut off the offending panels from the passenger side and the new panels mocked up. Wow, such progress in such a short time, just shows how a concerted effort can produce great results and it doesn't have to take a body shop forever. The pics will be posted on Thursday when I get to the shop. The pace is good and at first I had planed on a two year resto, now it could be less than one, wouldn't that be nice!!!!
Talk Thursday.
Old July 8th, 2020, 07:30 AM
72 Olds CS

The pic w the black trunk lid makes the car look a little like the 68 HO.

re the doors they were for sale on mass cl for the longest time ( years?) w no takers. As was mentioned these parts are keeping another olds on the road! I had my dads old supreme, when time for resto it was way to far gone $ wise. I saved many of the parts and used them on my car and gave some to my friend for his car. When i see my mom i always point out different parts on my car that are from my dads car.

what happened to the rest of the berijik car? Anyone know?

its crazy how shops that “kidnap” vehicles stay in business? We hear about it all the time. Glad you found a good shop and are making progress. I love the willow gold and cant wait to see the final product. Im Enjoying your thread
Old July 8th, 2020, 08:14 AM

The car was parted out as it was a race car it could not be sold whole. Apparently the only things not sold were the engine, trans and diff. The doors were in the basement of the gentleman I purchased them from. They were mint and the worst issue was the lettering as you can still see, but that will sand off. Yes, I like the willow gold also. If I were to stash the doors it would be a waste, they made less sports coupes than converts.
Thank you, more to come.
Old July 9th, 2020, 03:47 AM

The car looks good, glad you found a decent bodyman!! Is that one of the new recently released deck lids for '68s??? It looks like it fits really well!
Old July 9th, 2020, 04:44 AM

Yes, from the parts place. Perfect fit, very heavy body man said that of all the aftermarket parts he has seen, the olds seem to be the best fit and weight.
Old July 9th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Here is the passenger side rear quarter mock up.
I am looking forward to the sanding, epoxy primer, primer, then the satin black on the firewall underside, inside trunk, and interior floor area. After that we are mounting the body on the car and the interior items can go in. Wow it doesn't sound like a lot of work, but I know it will take a fair bit of time, I just want to drive it !!!!! October 2019 seems so long ago, (car was put away and disassembly began).
I hope all stay well and please listen to the medical professionals, wear a mask. BLM
Vince.
Old July 10th, 2020, 07:28 AM

very nice Vince very nice!!
Old July 25th, 2020, 06:16 AM

Well the body is done, the drivers cowl is being replaced and the lead has arrived to be melted into place. Does anyone have an up to date paint code for the 1968 willow gold, I'm not sure if BASF has it or not. Any info is helpful.
Thank you.
Old July 25th, 2020, 09:26 AM

We were trying to get willow gold to repaint the plastic pieces on the Muskrat's bucket seats. Went to about four places with zero results for the plastic stuff.
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Here are a couple of the latest pics, the passenger quarter on for real !!!

Old August 11th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Not much done recently, but a couple of new pics to post. The shop has been working on my good friends 66 Nova SS. They have started to clean up the body and get it ready for epoxy then spot work and prime. with any luck I will have it back before the one year mark and be able to drive it before the snow flies here again. I will post as we get new progress.

Everyone take care,
Vince
Old August 14th, 2020, 03:08 PM

Shine on

The outside sanding is done, the inside is about 70 percent done. The shop says they will have the epoxy primer on ot next week with to 4 days cure time, depending on our southern Ontario humidity.
Here are a few more pics.

Old August 23rd, 2020, 05:39 AM

Getting closer

The body is back on the rotisserie for final cleanup of underside and epoxy primer and satin black paint. I think it is still on track for a mid to late Sept completion date!!
Old August 31st, 2020, 04:38 PM

Black epoxy primer

Black epoxy primer just finished. The body is real nice, I can't wait to get it back.
Here are some pics

Old September 24th, 2020, 06:00 PM

Sound and rust proofing

The body shop has done the rust and sound proofing on the wheel wells and the area above the gas tank. I have chosen not to put it on the entire floor. I am putting sound insulation on the underside of the carpet The frame goes under the body sometime next week.
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:53 PM

Looking great!
Old October 3rd, 2020, 04:28 PM

A minor setback, as Legendary Interiors sent me the window sweeps and fuzzies for a holiday coupe instead of a sports coupe. They attempted to say I ordered the wrong part number, but when I took a photo of the bill it clearly stated "sport coupe" " post" . They have requested the parts back and I got them to pay for the shipping as it was their gaff.
I waited a month and a half for them and I hope it is not that long for the new ones.
As of yesterday the body was being block sanded for primer. It is getting closer, and my time line for the end of Sept was off, but I think it is about 2 to three weeks from completion.

​​​

Last edited by maddoctor; October 4th, 2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 02:11 PM

Primer and final block sanding

As of Friday the body was final primed and the final block sanding has been started. The frame will be required late this week or early the next. I am going to see the body on Tuesday, Monday is our Thanksgiving, and I will post pics then
Vince
Old October 30th, 2020, 12:48 PM

The body is done and wrapped waiting for the doors, trunk and hood to be primed which will be Monday. The frame is going over on Tuesday to be bolted to the body, it seems like a long time coming but in actual fact it has been just one year since I started to dismantle the car, the restoration shop has only had the body for 6 months. I will take some pics when I go attach the body to the frame on Tuesday and update the painting progress also.

Last edited by maddoctor; October 30th, 2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old November 4th, 2020, 04:51 AM

Body on the frame

Hello again. Yesterday I had my good buddy of 50 years load my frame into his trailer and we bought it to the restoration shop. The frame and body are now one again. The act was very quick and easy, the bolts were coated in anti seize and they went into the body without any trouble. The shop can now paint the body and all the parts so I can bring it home and finish the assembly. I hope we don't have a very cold winter up here. The way things look there won't be much more to dp this winter.
Here are a couple of pics.
Everyone take care!

Old November 4th, 2020, 04:51 AM

Body on the frame

Hello again. Yesterday I had my good buddy of 50 years load my frame into his trailer and we bought it to the restoration shop. The frame and body are now one again. The act was very quick and easy, the bolts were coated in anti seize and they went into the body without any trouble. The shop can now paint the body and all the parts so I can bring it home and finish the assembly. I hope we don't have a very cold winter up here. The way things look there won't be much more to dp this winter.
Here are a couple of pics.
Everyone take care!

Last edited by maddoctor; November 4th, 2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old November 4th, 2020, 08:25 AM

Nice!

Quick Reply: 1968 442 Sport Coupe Restoration