Cost of upholstery

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Cost of upholstery

Hi guys! I own a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible and wonder if anyone have done new upholstery and what would be the average cost of it. Planning on changing color of seats and side panels to vinyl pearl white with royal blue fabric on the center of seats. The back side panels and seat backs and in great shape and just may need a vinyl paint job. The door panels may need to either be repaired or replaced for the simulated wood grain have wrinkles caused by heat I guess and/or for being so old. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0930.jpg (88.7 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0934.jpg (89.4 KB, 39 views)
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Gary

Try these guys. Excellent quality. They normally run a 10-20% discount this time of the year. I got my door panels,headliner,carpet from them. I did not use them for the seat however,I had a local company here in town duplicate the pattern of my 72 442 in leather.http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM

It is going to cost you somewhere around $900 to get your seats redone at a shop. You can get vinyl dye to paint your side panels. It sounds like you may be better off replacing your door panels if they are in bad condition.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Old School Olds

^^^ I must agree. Legendary is second to none.
I was able to order all my interior including front
buckets and rear seat covers as well as front and rear door panels
for the 69 442 at 30 % off severel yrs ago.
But they are not cheap, I think the bill was over $1000.
I also purchased their seat backs and bottoms too.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Try these guys. Excellent quality. They normally run a 10-20% discount this time of the year. I got my door panels,headliner,carpet from them. I did not use them for the seat however,I had a local company here in town duplicate the pattern of my 72 442 in leather.http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Thanks. I just ordered their catalog. Their website froze a couple of times after requesting the cat and trying to shop online. OPG offers the door side panels on sale for $189 a pair. Trying to see if I can find them cheaper for I know OPG's prices are stiff.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 70olds455
It is going to cost you somewhere around $900 to get your seats redone at a shop. You can get vinyl dye to paint your side panels. It sounds like you may be better off replacing your door panels if they are in bad condition.
Thanks. It seems that all in all the cost could approximate the $1500-2000 range. I also need a good sound proof lining under the carpet.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
^^^ I must agree. Legendary is second to none.
I was able to order all my interior including front
buckets and rear seat covers as well as front and rear door panels
for the 69 442 at 30 % off severel yrs ago.
But they are not cheap, I think the bill was over $1000.
I also purchased their seat backs and bottoms too.
I wonder how do they compare to OPG's prices for the same products. My seats are not 1970 originals. They were changed at some point and I'm trying to figure out the exact year. They look like mid 70's, yet I like their vinyl/fabric combination style. The rest is original.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Legendary is the best considering quality and price, no other vendor comes close..
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Legendary is the best considering quality and price, no other vendor comes close..
Thanks. Can't wait to receive their catalog.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM

All interiors are not created equally. I originally purchased a brand other than Legendary, installed them and had seams come apart. Color was off a bit, as was grain. I purchased a Legendary interior and have been nothing but pleased with their quality and service. If you shop and save $100 on inferior seats, you've gained nothing. Legendary is a sure thing. I dyed my door panels according to directions and had great results. SEM is the product I used.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Gary can you tell me a little more about the leather seats. I have been thinking about this for my '68. Any pictures or advice in doing this. Thx
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Don Roberto
I wonder how do they compare to OPG's prices for the same products. My seats are not 1970 originals. They were changed at some point and I'm trying to figure out the exact year. They look like mid 70's, yet I like their vinyl/fabric combination style. The rest is original.
Call OPG and see what brand they sell. If PUI, then I would not buy - there is a reason they are cheaper...
Get Legendary - you will like them and they will stand behind them.
Check out my interior makeover thread linked below to see all the fun you can have!
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Call OPG and see what brand they sell. If PUI, then I would not buy - there is a reason they are cheaper...
Get Legendary - you will like them and they will stand behind them.
Check out my interior makeover thread linked below to see all the fun you can have!

Very nice job on the interior. Lots of shop hours saved by doing it yourself. I don't know if I want to venture going that far. I'll call OPG for the side panels because the difference in price is somehow significant. OPG: $189/pr on X-mas sale vs Legendary: $264/pr. I'd pay the difference if quality is better though. What does PUI stand for?
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM

PUI is the "economy" brand - the cheaper manufacturer of interior trim parts. Sounds like that is what OPG has.
They will not be as durable or look or fit just like the originals, but will be 'close enough" to an untrained eye.
You WILL want to get all of your colored trim parts from the same place, as colors vary widely amongst manufacturers.

I let a shop do my front and rear seat, as they were too complex for me at the time. I heard the back seat is pretty easy though.
It all came out very well and I enjoyed it, too. The interior gets and felt the most when driving, so you do not want to skimp here.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Ben

Original parts Group's "house brand" for interior stuff is Distinctive Industries- and it would be considered the "economy brand" Very poor quality for anything laminated (like the woodgrain stuff, or heat pressed seat cover patterns)

PUI is what i would consider "Medium grade" for interior stuff. Not bad, but not always the best. Good enough for most people.

OPG sells this brand when their house brand doesn't make it. You need to ASK what the mfg of the parts you are looking at is.

Personally I have major issues with OPG and use them as little as possible. Their seatfoam is another sticky point. Its garbage and should be avoided at all cost. for bucket seat foam, you want American Cushion industries (ACI) foams. If your preferred vendor doesn't sell that brand, find another vendor.

The Legendary brand Seat covers & door panels are in a totally different class. Top notch and worth every penny.
They use a heavier weight vinyl that is the same as OEM- holding a legendary cover and a PUI/Distinctive cover side by side you can tell just by the weight and feel of the cover.

Legendary sells a lot of the other interior reproduction stuff, the same as OPG & Fusick & Year one- i'm talking about seatback & side plastic, Chromes, release buttons, headrest locks, headliners, carpets etc etc. They don't necessarily make that stuff but they sell it and are competitive with their prices on it. They Also sell the good ACI bucket seat foams.

Pick up a phone and call legendary and speak to someone. Don't order from OPG simply because they were the first catalog you got in your hands.

If you want a catalog to look at, go checkout Fusick's website. All Oldsmobile, and a good company to work with.

I have a side business restoring seats for classic cars, been doing it for the last couple years. I'm still an amateur, but I like to think I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

my best suggestion to you is take your time-
Research. Ask questions.
and don't buy something simply because its a little cheaper- especially if its in an interior "bundle"

Not all parts are equal quality- sometimes you have to buy from several places to get everything you need of the highest quality.

Last edited by RAMBOW; November 13th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ben

PUI stand for Parts Unlimited Incorporated.
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Legendary will have a 25% or 30% off sale around X-mas. Wait until then or you can negotiate their prices a bit. I got 10% or 20% just for asking.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by jmt147
Gary can you tell me a little more about the leather seats. I have been thinking about this for my '68. Any pictures or advice in doing this. Thx
I will post some pictures of my seats when I get in this evening. It cost me 1,000 to have them done. The guys duplicated the pattern and did a very excellent job. They do a lot of custom work.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM
delete

Planning on changing color of seats and side panels to vinyl pearl white with royal blue fabric on the center of seats. Any suggestions?
A word of caution on this if resale is a factor at all - classics play much better with stock type interiors. if you look at the listings, putting a custom interior in a nice car like yours may be investing money to make your car worth less.
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Legendary is clearly the best. Also get the "original" repro foam, not the cheaper generic repro foam with has fit issues. My trim shop didn't want to touch the cheaper stuff.
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
A word of caution on this if resale is a factor at all - classics play much better with stock type interiors. if you look at the listings, putting a custom interior in a nice car like yours may be investing money to make your car worth less.
I'll keep that in mind
Thanks
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM

I will post some pictures of my seats when I get in this evening. It cost me 1,000 to have them done. The guys duplicated the pattern and did a very excellent job. They do a lot of custom work.
Please do.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gary

Please do.
I choose a very soft leather. The shop had lots of different grains of leather, and even had a material that was like the original,but I choose this one because of the softness. The lightning at this time of day is not that great. The seats are actually darker than they appear

IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0082-1.jpg

IMG_0081-1.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0078-1.jpg

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; November 14th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Those seats look great and comfy!
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Thank you Gary for the pics. Nice looking seat covers. Congrats. I also feel like considering various options by a shop, including leather and, why not, customized ones. As long as I like them, it is good with me. I like they way your's look. So let me ask, did they also do the side panels? The wood grain looks so good!
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Gary

Thank you Gary for the pics. Nice looking seat covers. Congrats. I also feel like considering various options by a shop, including leather and, why not, customized ones. As long as I like them, it is good with me. I like they way your's look. So let me ask, did they also do the side panels? The wood grain looks so good!
Hey Don, the other interior like the door panels came from Legendary. That is a really good company and their quality is excellent. Their customer service is just great also. Other members have used them and most have made very positive remarks about them. When I was looking for interior items, I had read Rob's thread about using Legendary. I really liked his results and that sold me on this company. I actually had the interior parts at least 2 years before I used them since I was in the process of restoring my car. As I mentioned before now is the time of year to buy from them because of the discounts they are giving.
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Hey Don, the other interior like the door panels came from Legendary. That is a really good company and their quality is excellent. Their customer service is just great also. Other members have used them and most have made very positive remarks about them. When I was looking for interior items, I had read Rob's thread about using Legendary. I really liked his results and that sold me on this company. I actually had the interior parts at least 2 years before I used them since I was in the process of restoring my car. As I mentioned before now is the time of year to buy from them because of the discounts they are giving.
Cool I can see the quality through your pics. The side panels look awesome!
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Interior Pics

Hi guys. These are my seats. They don't look original to the 1970 cutlass supreme. Can anyone figure out their year? There are also two pics showing the actual conditions of the simulated wood grain on the side panels. You can see some wrinkles or air bubbles. They kind of look like reproductions but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell? And, can this be repaired in a shop?
Attached Images
IMG_0960.jpg (71.6 KB, 51 views)
IMG_0963.jpg (52.7 KB, 43 views)
IMG_0964.jpg (88.5 KB, 41 views)
IMG_0965.jpg (79.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Don Roberto; November 16th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don, you can 'try' to get those bubbles out yourself.
You need: a pin, a hair dryer and a small hard rubber roller.

Make a small pin hole in the middle of the bubble.
Heat the surface of the applique till its hot. (this gives it some elasticity and also may activate the glue underneath)
Use the roller to flatten out the bubbled area - work from outside to center of the bubble.

Repeat as necessary. This is very time consuming work; and may or may not work. Do a test area and see how it holds up for a week before doing the rest.

Note: this may or may not work depending on the age of the panel or the quality of the glue used if it's a repro. I have seen may repro's with saggy looking panels and appliques. Really doesn't do much for overall impression or ownership does it?

BTW, your wood pattern is called "Burled Walnut". Each year from 68-72 the A body interior trim was changed slightly to signify the model year.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Old School Olds

Timing on this thread is right on.
I got my annual e-mail from Legendary
today. Save up to 70% and free shipping on
orders over $999. Sale begins 11-19-12 through 1-18-13.
Their toll free # is 800-363-8804.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; November 16th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Timing on this thread is right on.
I got my annual e-mail from Legendary
today. Save up to 70% and free shipping on
orders over $999. Sale begins 11-19-12 through 1-18-13.
Their toll free # is 800-363-8804.
I ordered the catalog and it should be in the mail soon!