Upholstery in Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Leif

Upholstery in Vista Cruiser

I have a 1965 Vista Cruiser Custom Wagon.
I have read in an original sales-brochure that the interior came in five colors / shades.
Unfortunately the brochure does not tell WHAT five colors were used.
Maybe somebody in here knows and will share this knowledge?

Old August 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Past Administrator

FYI, Kanter sell interior kits. My son just made an order for some engine parts from them and had them send some fabric samples for the kits they sell. When you get to that point might be a good place to start looking.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Leif

Thanks so far. I have double checked the brochures I have handy (22 page Olds full line and 8 page Station Wagon brochures) and in the first I can read "Morocceen (vinyl) or Morocceen-and-cloth interiors in five colors..." and the Station-wagon brochure reads "...in a wide choice...colors"...

My car is all white to the exterior and the interior (all vinyl) is light green with a golden touch to it. It is difficult to describe a color - especially if english is not your first language (as in my case). Carpets are brown (dark tan or dark buckskin). Please see attached picture.

I can not decide what color is correct from the list you gave, Paul, and I did send a sample to Kanter but the sample they´ve returned was not even close. Thanx Dan for letting me know anyway.

I would not have anything agaist changing the interior color and do the whole thing - I would just still like it to be correct. I believe Olds might have shared some interior colors with other GM siblings (A-body) and thus it would be possible to find the material. I remember having seen some Chevelles and Tempests in a light silverish blue that I know I can get - I just do not know if this was available in the Custom Vista Cruiser.

Leif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Seat.jpg (71.8 KB, 22 views)

Old August 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Leif

Paul, you are saying something...

Stupid of me not to think about the trim code. How foolish can one be??

The trim-code is 964- and the paint is C-C which must be solid white. Below line reads EG - 2X - 3D and lower line reads 5T.

I am pretty sure, the trim is not fawn. I have looked it up and it translates into "color of a deer" which must be light or medium brown. Of course the color is faded due to sun exposure. The car has been imported to Denmark from California and is dry and sun-burned all over. Thankfully the dash is not cracked...

Leif

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Leif

Thanks for your help Paul. I have tried to compare my car to the Olds on ebay and they are partly identical. The paint and the steering wheel looks similar but my dash pad and carpets are darker brown - almost chocolate. And my interior (or what´s left of it) is all vinyl.

I have send the trim code to SMSAutofabrics and they have replied they will send some samples.

I think I will just sit back and wait for them to arrive.

If this will not work I will have to have some vinyl dyed or do the whole thing in another (original) color.

In the meantime I can fix the body around the skylights which is in bad shape from water leaking thru the glass-caulking over the many years.

Thanks again for your great help. It is greatly appreciated. I will keep ypu posted.

Leif

Old August 27th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Leif

Paul - actually I have two brochures.

One is a very common (I have seen a lot of these on e-bay) 22 page brochure with a blue Delta 88 on a blue background on the cover. On page 14, under the left picture (a lady on the third seat looking backwards) the text reads: "Morocceen or Morocceen-and-cloth interiors, in five smart colors, are pretty and practical."

The other is an eight-page brochure for 1965 Station-Wagons only, and in this I read (page 4 - middle picture) "...practical, easily cleaned...comes in a wide choice of attractive color combinations." Here they do NOT refer to five colors - just "a wide choice".

All pictures of the Custom Vista-Cruiser interiors in these two brochures, are shown in "Fawn" and all-Morocceen, which must be vinyl. Same as my car.

Thanks for the scanned pages. They look the same as I have received from SMS Auto-Fabrics, who has the correct color and can make door-panels. Unfortunately they do not make pre-sewn seat-covers, so I´ll have to turn to my upholsterer.

Thanks again for your help and interest.
Leif

Last edited by Leif; August 27th, 2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling