Convertible top 1967 CS 442

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2023, 11:19 AM

Convertible top 1967 CS 442

The forum just helped me get my top to go up and down by telling me about the circuit breaker issue. I listened and the top now works. BUT. in so doing and being that the top had not been used in several months and cold and stiff and when I was through testing the top for operating properly i now see that the zip in plastic back glass has come unzipped about halfway from the closed end of the zipper. So before I go any further has anyone been there done that repair and if so what is the trick? See pics. Thanks as always, Mike

Old December 24th, 2023, 11:53 AM

I have no experience with the zipped in rear window on a Cutlass. My Jeep Wrangler has them on its soft top, though. You may be able to pry the “Y” part of the zipper open slightly so it can be moved to the opposite side of the open area, then pinch it back to original using pliers. I have successfully done this on luggage zippers.
Old December 25th, 2023, 03:59 AM

sounds like a plan. I will try and update later after Christmas, Thanks
Old December 26th, 2023, 12:57 PM

found time to try and I think your idea will work. the main problem is the way the plastic glass is mounted into the top. You (or maybe it is just me) can not get to both sides of the metal zipper puller tab in order to pry apart and slide up to the unzipped area to reattach as suggested in your post. So what I did was to cut the metal stops off of the closed position of the zipper and removed the metal zipper puller off and pried both sides to allow access to both sides of the zipper teeth in order to close the gap after placing the zipper in position. I then was able to squeeze close the part of the zipper that attaches to the roof half of the zipper then inserted the window part of the zipper and was able to zip together about 3 inches so as to get an angle on the metal zipper in order to tighten the window half of the metal zipper and when I squeezed the clamp it broke being that it is potmetal. But the idea works just be careful when prying and opening the metal part that ties the zipper together. Now I just need to find a zipper that works with the top zipper teeth. I will report back either way. Thanks Mike

Old January 12th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I have learned more about zippers that I ever wanted to learn. Your idea will work but as stated my slider broke and going through the hassels of trying to find one that fits and learning that my slider is a Lenzip #10 and making the mistake of thinking that all #10's should be the same I ordered some thinking it is a standard industrial unit of measuring the size needed but as with other China stuff their #10 is not the same. So back to work and later found the correct manufacturer and size #10 that matches the one on my convertible and it will pry apart in order to try the repair. I was able to get it started but due to the cold weather will have to wait to finish. thanks for your input FUN71. By the way the name of the zipper company is Zipper Shipper. Great people to work with. Fast service and customer oriented.
Old January 12th, 2024, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback and zipper source. You never know when that will come in handy.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 04:30 AM

been doing some checking about tops with plastic rear glass and was told that the plastic glass should be UNZIPPED prior to letting the top down in all attempts to lower the top. I had over the years always lowered the top WITHOUT unzipping the "glass" without any problems. But this time the plastic glass came undone. So what is the BEST way to lower the top in any and all weather conditions? Is there a right way and wrong way? thanks Mike
Old January 23rd, 2024, 08:08 AM

For C3 Corvettes, the plastic top is sewn in. Best practice is, since the window bends, is to lift the back up a bit, then assist to make sure the bend is uniform across the window. So, with Cutlass, maybe put it down 10-20 percent, then get out and make sure the window is bending uniformly and evenly across the plastic, then get back in and lower rest of way.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 11:19 AM

I had a '62 C2 never had a problem. Does sound like a plan for the CS. I will give it a try when I get the zipper fixed after the weather warms up a bit, thanks Mike
Old February 5th, 2024, 07:47 AM

Well Mr. Fun71 your idea about how to replace the broken slider worked like a champ. It finally warmed up to 70 degrees so the plastic glass assembly and the top were more pliable. Once i got the correct slider and with correct size (as they say size matters) I was able to pry apart the 2 sides so as to fit over the teeth of the zipper and once on the starter side (the convertible top side) of the zipper I squeezed that side back into position then inserted the glass portion of the zipper into the slider ,just like zipping up a jacket, and at that point I squeezed that side of the slider back together then zip it. Again the company Zipper Shipper had the correct slider. Worked Great! Thank you forum, Mike
Old February 5th, 2024, 11:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Consider a convertible top pillow. I use one in my 68 vette. It helps stabilize the plastic window to help it keep its shape when folded down. Prevents kinks n wrinkles.
Always a good idea to park the car outside in hot summer sun with top up and locked to the windshield, hour or so. Then pull it inside and let it cool then put it down with the pillow. I always help all vert tops down to control how it folds as it stows.
Old February 5th, 2024, 12:16 PM
Bfg

What exactly is the pillow that you described and where do you place it?