72 cutlass S Mesh Package Tray?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM

72 cutlass S Mesh Package Tray?

I ordered a new package tray to install in my cutlass S Im restoring... Wasn't sure of the typs so I order the mesh... Now that it has come in I'm wonderig what to do with it.... did not think mesh ment mesh but sure enough it is not a finished tray? are the mesh style desinged to be covered with vinyl or something?

Thanks Richey
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM

Does it look like this?
This came with a rear window defogger, and it looks like it was exposed as the package tray. (not covered up)

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by richeyb
I ordered a new package tray to install in my cutlass S Im restoring... Wasn't sure of the typs so I order the mesh... Now that it has come in I'm wonderig what to do with it.... did not think mesh ment mesh but sure enough it is not a finished tray? are the mesh style desinged to be covered with vinyl or something?

Thanks Richey

I have the same question for my 70 Cutlass S. Do you have any pictures of the one you received? I am trying to figure out which package tray I need as well.

d1
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM

mesh package tray pic

Here is a picture of the package tray I ordered.. I pulled it out of the plastic wrapper and it look pretty good.. the white strip on one side is actually a thin piece of foam, with the back side being vinyl to match my seat covers (dark green). I do have concern of the mesh while looking good may be a real dust trap..????? You can see in the picture that the tray has pre cut speaker holes that are covered with the mesh...

looking again at the picture you can't see the speaker holes, just trust me...

speaker holes show better here

Last edited by richeyb; April 4th, 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: correct typo- sorry
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM

From what I have seen, the mesh ones have the speaker holes punched in them and the mesh conceals those holes. The solid ones do not have the speaker holes in them and if you want rear deck speakers you need to make you own holes. I put the mesh in mine because I wanted the clean look with the speaker allowance. I not a big fan of the speaker grills you typically see covering the speakers. Mine doesn't seem to collect a lot of dust and cleans pretty easy with a brush attachment on the vacuum. Mine was the same brand you have there.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Ok, I ordered the same thing for mine. 72 Cutlass S 2dr hardtop and trying to test fit mine, the dang thing is way too wide for my car. Same brand.only black mesh. Ordered from Fuscik. Mines probably 5 inches wider than the decklid. I just checked and compared mine to the first pic u posted. The cars backed in the garage now so I cant get a decent pic of it right now but what the heck??? lol Any ideas? My label tag says the same as yours.
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM

They are wider that the tray itself. The sides bend up on the sides and tuck up behind the sail panel.
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeffu231
They are wider that the tray itself. The sides bend up on the sides and tuck up behind the sail panel.

Thanks Jeff, That makes sense. I havent started on the interior but I can picture what you said.....bending the wings up. I assume this will be obvious when I pull th eold one out?
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Yes, and if I remember correctly the new one has slight indents in the bend locations. It does take some patience to put in. I did mine with the back window out and it helped greatly.

Good luck.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Yeah, My back window is out as is everything else. New carpet is looking grungy now with so many trips in and out outting in the dash, now headliner(Kicking my ***!!!) etc.Thanx for the info on bending the sides up. Do they hold the sail panel trim in place or the sail parts of the headliner go over the bent up parts of the package tray?
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

suggestions....

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
Yeah, My back window is out as is everything else. New carpet is looking grungy now with so many trips in and out outting in the dash, now headliner(Kicking my ***!!!) etc.Thanx for the info on bending the sides up. Do they hold the sail panel trim in place or the sail parts of the headliner go over the bent up parts of the package tray?
The sail panel is held in place by the interior side trim. You need to take that off the window handle & undo the 3 screws that hold the side panel in place on each side, plus you're going to have to take the rear seat out to install this anyway. This should be a total of 3 screws per side. Take a look at how the old parcel shelf is secured before you bust it out. Take a picture if possible. Try to save as much of the old parcel shelf as possible for use as a template.

With the sail panel off, also remove the interior window trim pieces (closest to the trunk). Measure your parcel shelf side to side and compare this with the suggested scoring pattern. If you're happy with it, lightly score the bottom side areas of the new parcel shelf with an olfa knife (use a straight edge) just enough to make the bending a little easier. Do NOT cut it all the way through. Use a steel straight edge to make the 90 degree bend you need. When you reinstall the side trim, all the folded area will be hidden.

You can also get a jute pad for sound insulating the package tray. I'm doing this to match the sound deadening in the speaker trays and reduce noise coming into the car from the trunk area. The sound deadener between the seat and trunk should also be replaced while youre doing all this if it's worn out, cracked and falling to pieces. Just makes sense to only have to take out the seat one time.

I also bought the REM mesh parcel shelf (but in Black). It looks great. I really like the fact they have the option for 2 rear speakers.
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
Put some moving blankets down over that nice new carpet!!!!
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM

good idea!!!
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

You know guys, I wanted to get a package tray for "Teepo", but after reading this thread, I'm scared to!! Hers is the "finished" one - not mesh... no speakers either.

Her's has some flaking paint on it in one place and some little crinkles, but other than that, it still looks good. Maybe there's a way to just repaint where her paint is flaking?

This replacement job sounds like a major project to me, but I thought if I was going to have the seat out to put in the trunk divider stuff, "mightaswell" do the package tray too. Now I just don't know.....
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Do any of you have any idea if the size of the package shelf tray is the same for a 68 Cutlass Supreme 4 door? I am looking into installing four 6x9 speakers in the rear shelf tray but I am deciding if I should buy a new one or restore the original one thats in the car right now. It needs paint.

Is it possible to remove the shelf without taking out either the rear window or rear seat?
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Do any of you have any idea if the size of the package shelf tray is the same for a 68 Cutlass Supreme 4 door? I am looking into installing four 6x9 speakers in the rear shelf tray but I am deciding if I should buy a new one or restore the original one thats in the car right now. It needs paint.

Is it possible to remove the shelf without taking out either the rear window or rear seat?
I don't have any information on the 4 door package trays. But I would suspect the 68-72 4 doors would have the same sizes because the 68-72 2 doors are the same within their model lines.

You do not have to take out the rear window. If you are doing that to fix a water leak, it's a great opportunity to take advantage of. But, you do need to take out the rear seat so the sail panels can be removed. As per the previous posts, the package tray folds in behind the sail panel and it held in place by it. The sail panel is part of the side armrest panel, which can only be removed intact when the rear seat has been taken out.
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM

I do have a small water leak issue with the rear window which I wasn't planning on taking care of for a few months considering we're approaching a pretty hot summer here in California. It seems wiser to just wait until I reseal the rear window to attempt to replace the shelf. Thanks for the info.