$20 Lightning Rods Score, Can I make 1 good set from 2?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2023, 07:35 PM

$20 Lightning Rods Score, Can I make 1 good set from 2?

Hey Guys, I found a Lightning Rod shifter at a garage sale for $20. Couldn't believe it when I saw it sitting there. Any way on my 84 H/O the shifter levers are a bit rusty. On the new one the chrome is really good, but the 1st gear black **** has a chip and the button has some bad spots. Can the ***** be removed? I'd love to put a ball and button on the set with the nicer chrome. Looks like they are glued together? Thanks Jackson

Last edited by James J; October 20th, 2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old October 20th, 2023, 03:38 AM

Unscrew the chrome buttons, then unscrew the black *****. Simple as that. Be careful that the chrome buttons aren't jammed. They may take a bit of work but if you twist and they don't want to move, you can risk gnarling up the button "cable rod" that pushes down on the detents.

First, make sure they're from an H/O. The speed shop Lightning Rods were different than factory supplied in an H/O. 4 speed version only from the factory, and different rod lengths. The H/O versions were more even across the ***** where the speed shop versions had slightly taller rods.

Not sure what you mean by "bottom". Are you talking about the mounting plate itself?

If they are indeed H/O Lightning Rods, you scored an EXCELLENT deal.

If you need new, genuine Lightning Rod *****, let me know. I got plenty on hand.

Old October 21st, 2023, 05:23 PM

Here are some photos, I wasn't aware they sold them for 3 speeds. This one seems to have an overdrive position, so is this one for an Oldsmobile? I tried to unscrew the buttons but I think I buggered up the cable. I was gonna put some new **** on it since it's the focal point of the car. I guess I broke it. Seems like the cable unscrewed from the bottom of the lever, not from the Button. I fix old stereos & I'm pretty careful, and normally never break stuff. Can you still send them to Hurst or who can work on these? The pics of the one out of the car are the ones in question- the other pics are the ones in my car-

Thanks Jackson
Old October 22nd, 2023, 04:11 AM

See that paint dab mark on the base? That plus the fact it’s an overdrive shifter means it’s a factory H/O shifter. And the ***** appear more even horizontally. Again that’s a trait of the H/O shifter.

Contact 88hurstolds on here as he rebuilds them and can fix most issues along with that cable problem. Hurst no longer does the Lightning Rods work anymore. He does great work on them and whatever you spend on it you definitely will still be $$ ahead. Worth it.

It’s possible the top adjustment piece set screw is loose causing your issue. This is the part the button screws to. The adjustment piece is used to set button depth so when pressed it releases the rod.

You may be able to reach in there with some needle nose pliers and hold the cable.

Heck of a score regardless.
Old October 22nd, 2023, 09:18 AM

Thanks

Appreciate the info- will contact him today- Thanks Jackson
Old October 22nd, 2023, 10:07 AM

Check out his rebuild offer thread. If they can be fixed, he can fix them.

Lightning Rods Repair/Rebuild Service - ClassicOldsmobile.com

I'm sure it all depends on what's needed to be repaired as to final costs, but for whatever it is plus $20 is still VERY reasonable for a nicely working set of H/O rods.

Old October 24th, 2023, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Unscrew the chrome buttons, then unscrew the black *****. Simple as that. Be careful that the chrome buttons aren't jammed. They may take a bit of work but if you twist and they don't want to move, you can risk gnarling up the button "cable rod" that pushes down on the detents.

First, make sure they're from an H/O. The speed shop Lightning Rods were different than factory supplied in an H/O. 4 speed version only from the factory, and different rod lengths. The H/O versions were more even across the ***** where the speed shop versions had slightly taller rods.

Not sure what you mean by "bottom". Are you talking about the mounting plate itself?

If they are indeed H/O Lightning Rods, you scored an EXCELLENT deal.

If you need new, genuine Lightning Rod *****, let me know. I got plenty on hand.
Originally Posted by James J
Here are some photos, I wasn't aware they sold them for 3 speeds. This one seems to have an overdrive position, so is this one for an Oldsmobile? I tried to unscrew the buttons but I think I buggered up the cable. I was gonna put some new **** on it since it's the focal point of the car. I guess I broke it. Seems like the cable unscrewed from the bottom of the lever, not from the Button. I fix old stereos & I'm pretty careful, and normally never break stuff. Can you still send them to Hurst or who can work on these? The pics of the one out of the car are the ones in question- the other pics are the ones in my car-

Thanks Jackson
The photos I can find have the three stick, even height, overdrive H/O shifter, and a different height, four stick, TH350/400 3 speed shifter. The 4th lever was, apparently, when one staged, put the left stick back into drive (where it would be normally, as the car has no OD here), the second stick back into second, and the third stick into first, one did one's burnout, then, one threw the FOURTH level and that would put you into reverse. Back up, put that lever back, and you're still locked in first and ready to race.

I had heard, and this is probably baloney, that there was a five stick version involving maybe a trans brake.