General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Water Pump Play?

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Water Pump Play?

64 Olds F-85 330 V8 = Took out the radiator and grill to freshen up the engine bay and change the fan blade. After changing the fan blade and tugging to check for the bolt tighteness, I felt about maybe 1/8th" play and a little knock as I could move the whole fan and water pump pulley assembly up and down/sideways. Moving coolant ok. The water pump is not leaking nor seems to making any noise, so my question is this normal or should I go ahead and replace the water pump. Won't be easy as I have a hugh bracket that houses the ac compressor that stretches all the way across to the power steering pump. Thx G.

Last edited by J'ville; October 15th, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to indicate which car
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd change it. Play in the water pump bearing means the bearing is going to go sooner or later. Easier while you have it apart.

I got my rebuilt water pump from Advance for $16, so it won't hurt too much.

One question, though: are you sure it's the water pump bearing where the play is, and not the fan clutch?
Fan clutch - just the fan will wobble
Water pump bearing - the fan and pulley will wobble together.

- Eric
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I'd change it prior to it flying thu your radiator like frisbe!!! Water pump cheap, radiator expensive!!! One question before you change your pump. Is there a clutch on your fan??? It may be it instead!

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 17th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM

And check your timing chain!
Every time I changed a water pump, it wasn't too long that the upper gear went bad!
To be half-way there and not at least check it, could be labor intensive!
Best way is to remove the dist. cap and move the lower pulley both ways - 1 inch of play before the rotor moves is too much - change it!
Proved it on a friends 403 w/75k - and won the $100 he bet!
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Water Pump Play?

This certainly wasn't the news I was hoping for. Going to go ahead and change and check upper gear as suggested. The car has aftermarket ac and did not come equipped with a fan clutch. Is that fairly simple to install? Thanks again for all your help. I need it! J'ville
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Clutch fan is about 2" wide, and should take the place of a spacer.
Bolts on the same as the fan, in those 4 holes, and the fan blade itself, [which is different-larger dia. bolt pattern], bolts to that!
You should also have a fan shroud to promote cooling!
Fan should be about 3/4" from radiator - optimum.
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I got my rebuilt water pump from Advance for $16, so it won't hurt too much.
Unfortunately you won't find the one-year-only 1964 pump at Advance, and when you do find one, it won't be anywhere near $16.
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM

If you've play in the chain, change both upper and lower gears and the chain - matched set!!
Isn't it good to take advantage of us who've made these mistakes in the Past, and don't mind passing things on to the youngsters??
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately you won't find the one-year-only 1964 pump at Advance, and when you do find one, it won't be anywhere near $16.
I had no idea.

Thanks, Joe!

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Water Pump Play? Here is a deal!

If someone can bring a rebuilt water pump and timing chain kit and install it in my 64 F-85 330, you can have my working cold A.R.A AC. New compressor, clutch, fittings and internals for ARA underdash unit - of course the entire ac package goes but you will have to remove it. You will need to bring the non ac factory alternator bracket and non ac 2 belt pulley plus belts (alt & PS). You will get my ac bracket and 3 belt pulley with all three belts. I have the radiator and hoses out now. We can re-install the rad if you want to confirm that the ac is working properly and cold before going on. As nice as the ac is, I just want to simplify the underhood operation. Arthritus has gotten to my knees and back and I just can't work like I used too. I live in Jacksonville. PM me if you are interested or reply here. And thanks for all the info. Jville (Gary)
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Youch - A-1 CARDONE Part # 58291 reman water pump runs $85 at rockauto...
Timing set runs about 30...

However, if there is bearing play, it needs replacement...
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Youch - A-1 CARDONE Part # 58291 reman water pump runs $85 at rockauto...
I'm impressed that they even have them.
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Water Pump Play?

Well got that front plate and water pump off, and ordered a rebuilt unit thru NAPA. A little costly ($100) but it does come with a lifetime warranty. Another fellow was ordering a water pump for his 63 Cad and his was $10 cheaper than mine. Go figure. I know there is suppose to be 2 versions of the 64 330 water pump. One with or without AC (AC has bigger bearing) but NAPA, Auto Zone and Discount Auto only shows one available. Which will have to do right now. Question= The only fan clutch I could find was for the 65 442 400. Will that work on the 64 330? The fan spacer on mine appears to be 1 1/2". Thx again!