General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Help- any east way to fix this tilt column?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Help- any east way to fix this tilt column?

I just went to install this used tilt steering column I bought. This is as far as splines come out. I can’t pull them out any further. Any way to fix this without taking the entire column apart???

This is what the original column that came out looks like.

Last edited by Real82it; July 9th, 2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old July 10th, 2022, 04:43 AM

Your going to have to provide more information to troubleshoot it. Are the internal components (nylon joint) to push the lower shaft out of the housing, or is the lower shaft just incorrect for the application? Either way, disassembly will be required to make it right.
Old July 10th, 2022, 10:22 AM

The splined steering shaft has collapsed....so it's shorter now. The longer part of the shaft is a two piece shaft made to collapse in the event of a collision. Or, more likely, is someone dropped the column on the splined end of the column and it collapsed. Had that here when a customer's column was packaged incorrectly (by a shipping store) and the box got dropped on one end.

It'll have to come apart at least partially to extract the shaft assembly.
Old July 11th, 2022, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
The splined steering shaft has collapsed....so it's shorter now. The longer part of the shaft is a two piece shaft made to collapse in the event of a collision. Or, more likely, is someone dropped the column on the splined end of the column and it collapsed. Had that here when a customer's column was packaged incorrectly (by a shipping store) and the box got dropped on one end.

It'll have to come apart at least partially to extract the shaft assembly.
i think that is exactly it - thinking back to when I received it - the box appeared to have been dropped. Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2022, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Before disassembly, what does the other end of this column look like? I've had situations where the cancel cam moved out of place relative to the turn signal switch, which prevented the shaft from sliding back down. Check that first.
Old July 11th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Before disassembly, what does the other end of this column look like? I've had situations where the cancel cam moved out of place relative to the turn signal switch, which prevented the shaft from sliding back down. Check that first.
Unlike a standard column, on a tilt column, the bearing and tilt joint prevent any upward movement of the shaft. As said above the issue must be releated to the telescoping areas in the column.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; July 11th, 2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old July 11th, 2022, 10:48 AM

If you remove the lower bearing and cover, you may be able to pull out the bottom of the shaft from the upper section. I would tighten a hose clamp over the splined area (this should prevent damage to the splines) and then use a screw driver to pry against the column tube and hose clamp forcing the shaft out. Do this gently at first to see if it moves. The lock plate at the top of the column should prevent the upper portion of the shaft from pulling out of the top bearing. If gentle prying does not work, you will need to pull the column apart at least to the stage shown in the photo below to remove the shaft and go from there.
Old July 11th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Unlike a standard column, on a tilt column, the bearing and tilt joint prevent any upward movement of the shaft.
Good point. I had forgotten the fact that this is a tilt column.