General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Diesel Oil Filter Housing

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:24 PM

Diesel Oil Filter Housing

I have a diesel oil filter housing (with the cooler lines) I plan to use on my build. I want to clean it up and possibly take it apart. I noticed there is a spring in one of the cooling lines. Is this temperature controlled with a bi-metallic type spring when allowing oil to pass to the cooler or is it a pressure by-pass of some type?
Do you think it will safe to drop it in a can of carb cleaner and let it sit of is there a better way to clean this piece?

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:06 AM

Anyone have any ideas? My next step is to try and remove the plug that goes to that spring.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:17 PM

I don't think you would hurt the parts by soaking them in carburetor cleaner. I didn't know the diesel oil filter housings had a coolant passage connected to them. That is definitely "high speed."
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:45 PM

I didn't mean it had a coolant passage, sorry for the misunderstanding. I noticed that one of the lines that would go to the oil cooler is closed and there is a spring in there. When I sprayed carb cleaner into it it wouldn't go through that passage so that spring is blocking it off. My question is is it pressure regulated or heat/temperature regulated. I need to get this thing clean and I don't want to destroy anything by dipping it in those hard core carb cleaning buckets. Not sure how those fiber parts would deal with it or anything else in there.
At this point it may be safer to disassemble it. Now if I could figure out a way to get that five sided plug out?
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM

I believe the stock oil filter housing used spring tension to operate the bypass. If the filter got clogged the oil would overcome the spring pressure and go through the bypass.

As you said, any fiber parts wouldn't do too well in carburetor cleaner. Can you post a pic of the 5 sided plug you mentioned? I've seen allen wrench set screws, torx head hardware and even security torx (the ones with the dimple in the middle); however, I've never seen a 5 sided fastener.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:44 PM

I was wrong about the plug it's a hexagonal 9/16th. I ended up putting a 9/16th nut in it and loosening it that way, came out fine. Under it was the spring loaded passage to the oil cooler side of things. It makes sense to me at this point that it is temperature controlled through the spring. Pressure controlled makes no sense as those passages lead directly to the oil cooler side only.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:48 PM

Oh, ok. That's cool that you got it disassembled. Cleaning it should be easy now. Let us know how it goes back together.