General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1986 )Olds 98 Regency Brogham

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM

1986 )Olds 98 Regency Brogham

I have had this car for several yrs- has abt 60,000 miles on it- no big problems until now- it always has started immediately and still does except for once in a while it just turns over and over and will not start until it sets for a while- quite a while the last time- have had it in two garages and neither one knows what it is- for one thing it wouldn't do it for them just started right up- it has stranded me a few times- I am thinking it is a sensor or relay but it seems unless it won't start for them they can't find it-

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks!

Last edited by Suzy Johnson; October 5th, 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:56 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Is it a rear or front wheel drive?.
If it's a fwd 3800 model I'd guess at a poor cam position sensor, but let us know which model you have please.

Roger.
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Is it a rear or front wheel drive?.
The last RWD Ninety Eight was built in 1984. All 1986 Ninety Eights are FWD and use the Buford 3800 motor. Could be one of a multitude of causes, from crank sensor to sticking injector to temp sensor to...
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Smile 1986 olds

Thanks!
It is a four wheel drive and I am thinking could be temp sensor as it is worse when weather is hot but so far cannot convince a mechanic of that= as long as it is starting for them they can't find the problem and since I am not knowledgeable or able to fix a sensor (76 yr old lady) am up a creek LOL!
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Whereabouts are you Suzy?. Surely someone using this forum will know of a competent honest repair shop near you.
I own a couple of H body cars, and I use the "Pontiacbonnevilleclub" website for help and advice with my car. Don't be put off by the name - Oldsmobile and Buick owners are welcome.

Roger.
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Suzy Johnson
Thanks!
It is a four wheel drive and I am thinking could be temp sensor as it is worse when weather is hot but so far cannot convince a mechanic of that= as long as it is starting for them they can't find the problem and since I am not knowledgeable or able to fix a sensor (76 yr old lady) am up a creek LOL!
Actually, it's FRONT wheel drive. The only 4WD Olds made was the Bravada. A knowledgeable mechanic will have a scan tool that can be plugged into the data port on the car and will read all the sensors as you start and drive the car. An anomalous sensor reading will be obvious - for example, if it's a 70 degree day and with a cold motor the coolant temp sensor reads 35 deg, you know that's the problem. If your mechanic can't or won't do this, find one who will.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:08 AM

1986 Olds

I live in Midland Texas and have taken it to two places- Big Three auto which has always been good but they don't do sensor or computer problems and then to Mid Tex which does have diagnostic equipment and I thought would be able to catch the problem but it was starting fine for them.

Thanks for your time!