General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Headers or stock manifold?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Headers or stock manifold?

Hi Folks,
I've got a '70 Cutlass with a near original 350/2bbl carb. I don't plan on doing motor work or upgrading the fuel delivery anytime soon; I have plenty of other projects first besides the car runs beautifully as-is and I like the originality of it all HOWEVER the Olds motor needs to be heard.

The plan was to run dual exhaust with Flowmasters. Then I got thinking...should I be investing in headers as well? At this moment I want the duals for the look and sound over the performance benefits although the performance enhancement can't hurt...

How much will not having headers affect the sound? Is it stupid to not go with headers? If anyone has suggestions on a brand/style I'd love to hear what you'd recommend. While I'm not overly concerned with cost, I do want to stay within a budget I have yet to draw up... meaning I don't think ceramic coated headers are necessary.

Thanks for your input,

Last edited by 96powerstroke; March 28th, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:47 PM

It's cheaper & easier to just put in a dual exhaust system but less of a performance increase than installing headers. I don't know how much benefit headers would be w/ 2V intake.

If you plan to add 4V later it might be the right play to dive in & put headers in now then aquire carb & intake which with a little tuning will certainly allow you to have a noticeable power increase. Use a Qjet & you'll probably get better mileage than w/ the 2V with a light foot, definitely a bigger grin when less discipline is applied.

Last edited by bccan; March 28th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:52 PM

Your on a "slippery slope" because when you start doing one thing you'll run into MAW. Might As Well while I'm at it, do this or do that, my opinion is leave it alone and if and when the muffler goes bad replace it with a glass pack. Jmo. Enjoy your nice quite Oldsmobile.
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Aside from the performance benefit, the sound will be a bit different with long tube headers vs manifold. If you just want loud then use your manifolds and install duals with the muffler of your choice.
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Keep the manifolds for the time being and use Dynomax Super Turbos. They flow better and sound better than the Flowmasters. Most guys on here prefer them . Use the search function are read about them. Most of what you install could be used with header later.
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM

I agree with the above two posts. Use the manifolds and install duals with good mufflers and you will be happy.
Old March 29th, 2017, 09:04 AM

It's pretty common knowledge among the guys I know who have experience building engines that headers on a stock motor setup do virtually nothing for enhancing performance. I converted to dual exhaust and Dynomax Super Turbos as mentioned and am happy with it...until if and when the time comes when I decide to build my engine.
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:00 AM

If you're building your car one piece at a time and you know you want headers on it then have it done. Do it, do it now!

I suggest saving your money and buying good quality headers though. Buying a cheap set of Summit headers won't cost much but the paint will incinerate the moment you start the engine and you might have to use a BFH when installing them. Nobody likes the look of dented, banged up and rusted headers... well maybe some rednecks do.

If you don't install headers now and decide to do them later it will just cost you slightly more in the long run. The exhaust shop that does the install will have to modify your pipes to mate to the collector. While this cost is probably negligible it's something to think about.

BTW, from your user name I can see you are a learned man of refinement and sensibility. We all know how much better the Powerstroke is than the Cummins or the Duramax, some of us pretend otherwise though. A 1999-2007 Powerstroke or a 1983-1993 IDI is in my future.

Last edited by Olds64; March 29th, 2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Oh yeah...
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE=crimsoncolby;1003214]It's pretty common knowledge among the guys I know who have experience building engines that headers on a stock motor setup do virtually nothing for enhancing performance. I converted to dual exhaust and Dynomax Super Turbos as mentioned and am happy with it...until if and whe.

Sorry I disagree, long tube headers do increase performance on a stock engine. The Dynomax turbos are pretty quiet compared to what the op wants

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you're building your car one piece at a time and you know you want headers on it then have it done. Do it, do it now!

I suggest saving your money and buying good quality headers though. Buying a cheap set of Summit headers won't cost much but the paint will incinerate the moment you start the engine and you might have to use a BFH when installing them. Nobody likes the look of dented, banged up and rusted headers... well maybe some rednecks do.

The coating on plain headers is just that, it is not a hi temp paint. It needs to be stripped off and then painted or coated to keep them looking nice. Or you can buy coated headers that tend to keep their look for quite some time. I have not ever had an off the shelf header that went in without some dimpling with a BFH.

If you don't install headers now and decide to do them later it will just cost you slightly more in the long run. The exhaust shop that does the install will have to modify your pipes to mate to the collector. While this cost is probably negligible it's something to think about.

BTW, from your user name I can see you are a learned man of refinement and sensibility. We all know how much better the Powerstroke is than the Cummins or the Duramax, some of us pretend otherwise though. A 1999-2007 Powerstroke or a 1983-1993 IDI is in my future.
I beg to differ on the Cummins vs Powerstroke debate. The early 24v Cummins were awesome. On the Powerstrokes, the 7.3 was a great engine, everything that came after until recent was problematic junk. You practically can't give away a 6.0 and the 6.4 Powerstroke. The current 6.7 is ok but you have to comply with emissions (as all the manufacturers do also) and run urea fluid to keep it all clean. I've never been a fan of the Duromax but do like the Alison trans.
Old March 30th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The coating on plain headers is just that, it is not a hi temp paint. It needs to be stripped off and then painted or coated to keep them looking nice. Or you can buy coated headers that tend to keep their look for quite some time. I have not ever had an off the shelf header that went in without some dimpling with a BFH.
Yes, I believe the Summit headers even state that the paint is only there for protection during shipping. The Heddman headers on my 71 98 are "jet coated" to resist temperature. I installed them 8 years ago and they still look pretty good. Also, I either got lucky or found a good set of headers because my headers didn't need any modification.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I beg to differ on the Cummins vs Powerstroke debate. The early 24v Cummins were awesome. On the Powerstrokes, the 7.3 was a great engine, everything that came after until recent was problematic junk. You practically can't give away a 6.0 and the 6.4 Powerstroke. The current 6.7 is ok but you have to comply with emissions (as all the manufacturers do also) and run urea fluid to keep it all clean. I've never been a fan of the Duromax but do like the Alison trans.
OH, NUH UH! He didn't!